IGNORED

Moving from Australia to Pattaya

twobrisguys

Hi everyone,

My partner and I are moving from Australia to Pattaya in 3 - 6 months. Although we have done quite a bit of research of living in Pattaya/Thailand, there are still some questions which we would like local feedback on:

Firstly, we will be bringing 2 dogs with us (german shephards) so wanted to find out the easiest way to transport them from Bangkok to Pattaya? Has anyone else taken pets with them and if so, what did you do? (note that we will not be hiring a car as neither of us want to drive on the first day there when we don't know where we will be going).

What would you say are the better places to live based on the following:

near the beach

no too far from the shops/bars

A fairly quite and secure area (we will be working from home via the internet for an Australian based company)

High speed DSL is a MUST (believe that about 4/5mb is the fastest available in Thailand)

In relationship to renting a house, can any advise the story regarding rent/bond etc? Do you pay a bond, if so what is the amount of bond based on?

The real estate sites we have seen don't give much details in regards to this and due to us not moving for at least 3-6 months most questions we have asked haven't been fully answered at this stage.

Any advise or ideas on where is best to look for a cleaner/home helper, and any idea of what a reasonable payrate would be?

Are they paid weekly/fortnightly/monthly?

The position would probably be live in, 6 days a week and hours would at least 6-8 hours per day however could be shorter if any jobs are completed quicker. We would prefer a guy who speaks some english and would be responsible for cleaning/general helping (ie clean/cook/shopping/make sure the garden/pool is looked after/ can be our guide/ teach basic Thai etc). The person would probably be integrated into our day to day lives eg go shopping/drinking/eat with us and no doubt become a trusted friend.

Is there anything else you think we might need to be aware of or avoid doing or saying?

Any information or websites you can provide would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

M&P

Just a question - have you ever been to Pattaya before ??

babydollsaddict.gif

And....are you a gay couple? Why do you want to move to Pattaya in particular? Several bm's maybe able to assist you in painting a better picture for you.

I don't buy out the bar, I buy the nightspot.

no we haven't been there before. We are after a sea change that isn't somewhere in Australia and after researching 3 or 4 different countries, Thailand is the one we keep coming back to as somewhere where we can still continue to do the work we currently do but be able to maintain a better lifestyle then we currently have. If we find that after a year or so we don't like it as much as we hoped we will just move on to another destination.

Regarding why Pattaya, no real reason in particular. We had to choose somewhere that we thought we would both like and from everything we have read Pattaya was the final choice. Is there any reason why we shouldn't move to Pattaya?

Is there any reason why we shouldn't move to Pattaya?

temptation :c45ec00b:

really you should go there before committing to moving there.

its a big step from brissy in fact from just about anywhere in the west to pattaya is

Member since Dec 06.

temptation :D

really you should go there before committing to moving there.

its a big step from brissy in fact from just about anywhere in the west to pattaya is

We considered a few weeks holiday before making the commitment to move but basically decided we were just going to do it. We made the decision to move from Perth to Brisbane over a period of less then a week and have been here for almost 5 years now. 1 or both of us has lived in almost every state in Australia. I have been to Malaysia and Indonesia in the past and haven't had issues with the weather/humidity and neither of us feel we will have any issues with Thailands weather.

A lot of people may think this is something strange to do but it is just how we are, when we decide to do something, we do it :P

We made the decision to move from Perth to Brisbane over a period of less then a week and have been here for almost 5 years now.

BIG differance moving to pattaya................... :D

spend a month in pattaya first and better still read this forum for the month before you go :D

just deciding to move as per your last move is CRAZY :P

and the weather will be least of your concerns over there :o

Edited by fostraswift

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

Admire yr courage , if i can call it that. I have been coming to Pattaya for 25 years , have houses and land here and i am still weighing up the pro and cons of retiring in Pattaya and when .

Also , consider your dogs - a plane flight then another world - and then if you find it is not right for you another couple of months in quaritine etc. -they will need immunization etc. and Thailand does still have rabies etc.

Aso consider medical needs - Thailand has a very good hospitals etc, probably better than Oz ,but you do have to pay . There is no medicare., no safety nets, no welfare agencies.

Take a few weeks and visit - see if it what you expect. It is quite different to OZ in many ways , and in many better ways as well . You may grow to love thailand as much as we do. But open your eyes and evaluate if it is the right move .

babydollsaddict.gif