IGNORED

Got my thai licence.

cfcjeff 59

Ok the trip report carrying on from my previous post.   I went to my local office in a town called Phang Khon in Sakon Nakhon province. I got there at 8.30 am and presented all my documents with copies,  passport, non o visa,medical certificate, tabien baan, my IDP and GB licence, and visa stamps. They didnt accept my IDP but were satisfied with my GB licence though they noticed that the photo id card had expired, but i explained that it was just the photo that was out of date not the licence itself.  Happy with that i went upstairs and did two colour blidness tests, the brake reaction test, and depth perception test,  all very easy.  Back downstairs i had my photo taken, so no need to bring photos with you. So that was it, 50 minutes and 370 baht later i walked out with car and motorcycle 1 year licences, though i might add if i only had IDP i would off been turned away, but maybe this is different at other offices. Anyway i hope this has been some help to someone, and finally i know this is stupid but how the hell can i get to make paragraphs !!!

I'm getting ready to do the same in Pattaya so thanks for your story.

One question. I've seen some posts where a license translation from English to Thai was required for your home country license but you did not mention that. So in your case, you did not need a translation?

Thanks.

Hi beerman, no translation needed, they seemed to understand everything on the licence, and this was in deep issan territory where they dont get to many falang, so in pattaya i dont think it will be a problem at all. A couple of my mates in patts have a thai licence and they never mentioned getting a translation.

• 3 months later...

Can one get a Thai license when in Thailand only on a tourist visa ?

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

Can one get a Thai license when in Thailand only on a tourist visa ?

Depends on the office and officer but normally you will be able to get 1 year thai driving license on tourist visa. If you want to eventually get 5 year license you would need non imm visa.

• 5 weeks later...

My one year license is two years out of date and will get it renewed when I am back next year. Planning a long holiday next year.

Archived