Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

"take care" how to say in thai

Sexy Baldman

Ok so here is my burning question. I love the euphemism the Thai girls use " take care" ...so how to say it in Thai...how would I say this in thai to a girl who does not speak English. Just to clarify I ,mean it in the sense a girl might use it on Beach rd. rather than a more eternal sense of "take care of you for ever" ...any ideas? Prefer Thai script but some kind of Romanized form is Ok too!

And how about if I am asking out a girl in a mall...just ask for dinner as in English?

I guess I am looking for language as well as any cultural insights. I have been to Thailand for a few times/months so I have a basic grasp...just enough to get myself in trouble!

This version of me will not stay the same, tomorrow I will be different.

Duu Laa ดูแล, prounounced it sounds like "do lair". You could extend it to "Duu laa tua khun eng"  ดูแลตัวคุณเอง= "Take care of yourself"

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

doo lair is one version

i have great book from about 10/12 yrs ago, the best i've seen as far as learning thai to a basic level

one day i should do a scan, but could do a hard copy copy for a price :Grin3:

yet maaa doc, beating me to the punch

Member since Dec 06.

Just to clarify ...I do not mean take care as in "have a good day" ....I mean it in the sense the Thai girls use it = "I want to go with you and you pay me for my time" ...I guess she is saying "I want you  to TAKE CARE  of you sexually and you take care of me financially"... and I want o very politely and euphemistically say the opposite "how about I pay money and fuck you"

Just to clarify ...I do not mean take care as in "have a good day" ....I mean it in the sense the Thai girls use it = "I want to go with you and you pay me for my time" ...I guess she is saying "I want you  to TAKE CARE  of you sexually and you take care of me financially"... and I want o very politely and euphemistically say the opposite "how about I pay money and fuck you"

Yes, "Duu laa" can have that implied meaning. Try "Phom yaak ja duu laa khun" ผมอยากจะดูแลคุณ = "I want to take care of you",a bar girl should understand that (in the desired context).

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

how about "how much? and i pay bar now", they understand that.

they certainly dont expect formal invitations and are much more likely to mis-understand

any attempt you make.

thai language has 3 or 4 levels of deference, elvis, monks, vips/parents, peers/siblings

Member since Dec 06.

I'm still not sure what exactly you want to tell the lady but I'd like to add a few phrases you might find useful. But first I have to say that although I use Thai every day, I almost never hear those pronouns I and you. So the first thing would be to figure out what you want to call the lady. Is she younger than you? Is she a massage lady? Then you could call her น้อง and if you know her name, add it after น้อง. If she's much younger than you, you could call her หนู

The first thing I thought was when she's saying buy to you before you go overseas for a while. She'd say "take care of yourself" (while you're away). ดูแลตัวเองนะ

The second case: you want to propose some kind of an arrangement, you take care of her shopping needs and she takes care of your little fella. You say you want to be very polite too? เอิ่ม The differences look small but the language is very subtle so I couldn't really give you the best way to put it without seeing the context, who she is, how long and what about you've been talking prior to this dialogue etc. But you can try some of these: (add ครับ if you both seem to be that formal with each other)

1. ดูแลกันและกันได้ไหม can we take care of each other? 

2. ดูแลกันและกันนะ we'll take care of each other ok?

3. ดูแลกันและกันเถอะ let's take care of each other!

4. อยากดูแลกันและกันหนา I want us to take care of each other please please please...

Thanks for the replies and all of them have been helpful. I appreciate the subtly of meanings and also avoid the "khun" and go with "nong" or "ngu"....but not "pii" ! I have been self studying a bit and had a few trips. I am fluentish in Chinese but still getting there in Thai. I prefer to speak a little well, than a lot badly, which is why I have been focusing a lot on trying to learn tones and precise pronunciation...essentially lay the foundations well....I didn't do this well with Chinese and some issue still linger.

Sometimes in seeking answers, we only succeed in raising more questions...grasshopper!

As for asking the girl out for dinner and informing her you will be buying, use the word เลี้ยง (Lee-yng).This word means "to treat" (or "shout" as in "it's my shout"), when you Google translate it comes out as "feed", which is not really correct but trust me it's more like you are the one looking after her, so (Your name) เลี้ยง (her name) will mean "I will be treating/shouting for dinner". 

Thanks for the responses...really useful and no way to understand this from google translate!

A good site I use a bit is www.thai-language.com

layow is right, no need to beat around the bush, better to be direct, when you say to a gal in a bar or club ...you come with me? (pai gup pom mai?) everything is clearly understood.

I wouldn't bother with any talk about taking care of her, nor would I talk about paying for dinner & drinks...that goes without saying, 

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

layow is right, no need to beat around the bush, better to be direct, when you say to a gal in a bar or club ...you come with me? (pai gup pom mai?) everything is clearly understood.

I wouldn't bother with any talk about taking care of her, nor would I talk about paying for dinner & drinks...that goes without saying, 

I think the OP was talking about going to the mall so chances are everyone there is not a bargirl. Or did I misunderstand something? Was the question about how to talk to a bargirl? 

Anyway I hear that sometimes. A massage lady wants me to go out with her, maybe for a drink or two or something else. She usually doesn't forget to say จะเลี้ยง meaning that it's on her. Even though she's a working girl she doesn't want me to pay every time. Imagine that.

Btw. "feed" is correct. It's the literal translation. It actually happened to me once. This lady invited me out for a lunch so we went to a Japanese restaurant at the mall. She asked me what I wanted and then told me to find a table and sit down. She went through the cashier and paid the bill. Then she brought the tray to the table with my food on it. At that point I had to ask her what she was going to eat. "Nothing" She was not hungry but she wanted to feed me. Go figure. That was a 300 baht lunch for her and she didn't even taste it. 

By the way #2: This "you come with me" question. I'd say ไปด้วยกันไหม or ไปด้วยกันเปล้า or if I know the expected answer already and just want to tell her it's time to go: ไปด้วยกันป่ะ

Can also be said in multiples of 1000 baht.

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

Yes BM Ekku has got it right...my post was to seek more subtle ways of asking for the same thing. Sometimes I like to be a nice guy. One times I made great "friends" with a dental nurse...different kind of experience...and just curious and not only interested in the language but also the culture.

Archived