IGNORED

Retirement Visa , Rentry permit and new passport

maxtroy

I'm back in my home country and need to get a new passport as current one expires in April 2016 when I will be back in Thailand for extended stay .

My current passport has retirement visa valid till February 2016 and one rentry permit which I will use in November or December of 2015 .

I will have my old passport and new passport in my possession on rentry and expect Immigartion will honour my visas and rentry permit but then again TIT .

Has anyone been through this scenario and were there any problems encountered ?    

I haven't lived the exact scenario you describe, but if it were me I would feel better arriving in Thailand having already had the retirement visa transferred to the new passport beforehand.

Is visiting a Thai embassy back in your home country a real pain logistically?

I'm interested in your dilemma though, as a similar scenario is approaching me caused by lack of available space in my current passport, which still has 5 years before it expires. I currently reside in Pattaya on a retirement visa and suspect I will do the whole exercise here in Thailand through an agent when the time comes.

Interesting to hear whether your idea to return to Thailand with an empty new passport, plus an expired passport containing the visa and re-entry permit, is acceptable.

Scent from my anus using crapatalk

I will be contacting the local Thai embassy (not far) but when I spoke with this one man operation on another topic a few years ago he  ended  his advice with the caveat " of course the immigration officer in Thailand may see it differently "  so that is why I asked if peopel have had the experience . 

I will update the thread with any information I get .

I think , best to get new passport and go to consulate near your home in Uk (Hull or London )or ring them and explain your situation . Hopefully someone here will know better ..

Unexpired visas

If you’re renewing your passport, send your previous passport with the visa attached to it with your application. Your previous passport will be returned to you.

Carry both passports if you want to use the visa in the previous passport.

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport

Seems like it's fine to carry both.

Problem I have is that I don't stay in the UK long enough to apply and be in possession of both new and old passports within the time frame of my trips.

you will have zero issues just have them both when traveling

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

you will have zero issues just have them both when traveling

I thnk you are right because sine the coup I've noticed a much more welcoming attitude with immigration officers . I got burned by not knowing about permission to reenter several years ago so I still remain a little leery when dealing with immigration . 

On my last granting of a retiremnt visa they stamped in my passport a reminder of the permission to renter requirement which I thought was very smart on their part . 

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport

Seems like it's fine to carry both.

Problem I have is that I don't stay in the UK long enough to apply and be in possession of both new and old passports within the time frame of my trips.

I was told the same thing but I will try to confirm with the Thai consulate just to be sure.

When you receive your new passport your old one is no longer usable, (they will have cut the corners off when you get it back from the passport office), I had same problem 2 years ago in China, my residents permit for there was also no longer valid because it linked to my old passport and I had to through the process of applying for a complete new one

When you receive your new passport your old one is no longer usable, (they will have cut the corners off when you get it back from the passport office), I had same problem 2 years ago in China, my residents permit for there was also no longer valid because it linked to my old passport and I had to through the process of applying for a complete new one

The chap that took my old passport attached paperclips to the pages with my visa and rentry permit so the passport  office will not cut the

edges on those pages . He also made a note to alert them not to damage those pages .

The chap that took my old passport attached paperclips to the pages with my visa and rentry permit so the passport  office will not cut the

edges on those pages . He also made a note to alert them not to damage those pages .

glad to hear you got one of the good guys who actually do their job properly

Has anyone been through this scenario and were there any problems encountered ?    

In 2011, I renewed my USA passport in Cambodia and when I went back to Thailand with both my old and new passport it was sorted out easily both at the airport and Jomtien immigration.

Good thing I didn't wear my Bad Boys Go To Pattaya wifebeater.

Looking at my new passport, there seems to be two stamps at the airport with one acknowledging the re-entry or retirement visa, tough to figure out.

But even if at the airport through some error you only got the 30 day stamp, I reckon you could get it sorted at Jomtien.

I think it might actually be counter productive to have a Consulate in your home country sort out the problem.

Ladyboy Review Forum http://www.ladyboyreview.com

In 2011, I renewed my USA passport in Cambodia and when I went back to Thailand with both my old and new passport it was sorted out easily both at the airport and Jomtien immigration.

Good thing I didn't wear my Bad Boys Go To Pattaya wifebeater.

Looking at my new passport, there seems to be two stamps at the airport with one acknowledging the re-entry or retirement visa, tough to figure out.

But even if at the airport through some error you only got the 30 day stamp, I reckon you could get it sorted at Jomtien.

I think it might actually be counter productive to have a Consulate in your home country sort out the problem.

Yes worst case they ignore the rentry permit and give me 30 days and invalidate the retirement visa and I lose 2 months on the visa and need to reapply for retirement visa .  

I really don't enjoy going to Jomtien or Bangkok immigration offices  and if I can avoid a visit to them I will be very happy .

I know it might seem obvious, but thought I'd mention it ..

Whenever returning to Thailand at immigration I always hold open my passport open at the relevant page(s) to bring the official's attention to my visa and re-entry permit rather than just slide it over closed while hoping for the best.

I entered Thailand once via the Cham Yeam (Koh Kong) land border crossing about 4 years ago armed with a 60-day tourist visa I'd acquired in Phnom Penh and the immigration lady at the border just stamped me in with a 30-day visa waiver. Fortunately I checked before I walked too far away and returned to inform her. She just scribbled out the date and re-wrote a new one. No initials or anything else, I could have done that myself. Anyway, lesson learned. To be sure to be sure.

Last year I asked a Thai consulate about this and was told that the visa would still be valid and I would just need to show the old passport with the new one.

Just as pain free is the situation where you get a new passport while in Thailand.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Archived