IGNORED

does anyone know how to transfer

farangatang

ok, l have several old family recordings on the old, no longer used, large black plastic VHS video tapes. l would like to burn all the recordings onto DVD. l do still have a working VHS video player. l also have a PC capable of burning CDs. l've made enquiries in the past without success. Do any of u geeks out thier know how l can do it? Appeciate all suggestions. :D

have you got a good video card?

clean the heads on your vhs player

connect the video player to your video card

use something like - http://www.mininova.org/search/?search=adobe+premiere or windows movie maker

To catch the stream and convert it to mp4, avi etc

or

connect your vhs player to a standalone dvd writer and it will burn straight to dvd

Dunno if you can get them in your neck of the woods, but here they do a nifty machine that has a slot one one side to load a VHS tape, coupled with a tray to insert a blank DVD next to the slot.

Press the right buttons and.............VOILA !!!!!

A DVD burnt from a VHS recording

Mine was quite cheap too.....less than £100

Might be worth a quick hunt round the audio/visual stores near you, or online places?

Hedonist

No bad grammer or spelling mistakes here !!!!

Its the all new language i have invented called "Typonese"

Copies of the book and DVDs are on sale and are availible at the main desc at the exit sine

You could also buy a DVD recorder. The type you can use to record TV straight onto DVD. Most of these have a scart imput so you can just plug your VCR into that. If you look on Ebay you should be able to find yourself one for about £25.

• 2 weeks later...

You can pick up a fairly decent USB video capture gizmo for around $30 Aus. Quality is good enough for what you want. Digitse to PC, edit, burn. :Cry4:

A bit of a guide on how to and what to use here.

• 1 month later...

I totally agree with yorkshire. I have done this for my clients and it is very time consuming and if you are not proficient with some basic understanding of video editing and rendering it can be a hassle. It is much easier to get a DVD recorder and just plug your VCR to it and let it record directly to DVD. Unless you really need the jazzy titles and addition of special effects then you may want to get a video capture card (hauppauge) that has built-in h/w encoder. Such capture card, has the typical RCA in or Coax in or some S Video and it will capture the video to MPEG-2 format. Then you need some type of software that would take the mpeg 2 and create a DVD.