IGNORED

Possibility of telecomunications cut

Captain Murgatroyd

The Thai telecomunications unions have stated that they may cut off international communications in sympathy with the current protests.

If that happens the internet functions may well go down in Thailand.

It is also a possibility that communications with banks outside thailand may be affected.

If that happens, ATM use and the use of plastic to pay at the till point may be disrupted for Ex-pats and visitors.

As a precautionary measure, I will be drawing the maximum cash I can from an ATM this morning.

Other people who depend on their home bank accounts may consider doing likewise.

This may not happen... but it is a remote possibility.

"I have passed blamelessly through life doing nought but good deeds, and I am beloved by all whose path I have crossed. It is beyond comprehension that anyone could nurture in their hearts hostile feelings for me." Genevive Dieudonne. Vampire. ("Anno Dracula" by Kim Newman)

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's CAT Telecom labour union which earlier planned to cut the country international circuit telecommunications gateway Wednesday afternoon in support of the demonstrators demanding for the ouster of the coalition government has postponed the decision until 9am Thursday.

The CAT Telecom labour union had said it would make a decision Wednesday afternoon whether or not to cut the international circuit telecommunication or gateway. Disconnecting the gateway would affect access to the Internet and international telephone services as well as financial transactions.

Speaking to TNA, Somboon Sapsarn, president of the CAT Telecom labour union, said union members had decided to postpone the decision.

Although a full work stoppage at CAT Telecom has not begun, about 40 per cent of the agency's 5,600 employees nationwide already took a day off on Wednesday. It is expected that more would join on Thursday.

The firm's operations on Wednesday did not disrupt its services to the public because most of those who were absent were in administration.

Meanwhile, CAT deputy managing director Marut Buranasettakul told TNA that the company's labour union had no authority to cut the international circuit telecommunication gateway.

Only senior executives of the company could do it, said Mr. Marut, adding that services at the company continued normally as of now. Representatives of the labour union were invited for talks with senior executives and were told that work disruption would greatly affect public users, said Mr. Marut.

-- TNA 2008-09-03

"I have passed blamelessly through life doing nought but good deeds, and I am beloved by all whose path I have crossed. It is beyond comprehension that anyone could nurture in their hearts hostile feelings for me." Genevive Dieudonne. Vampire. ("Anno Dracula" by Kim Newman)

CAT union backs down

KOMSAN TORTERMVASANA

The CAT Telecom union has called off its threat to disconnect the international gateway and suspend international direct dialling, fearing it would paralyse telecommunication services and put businesses with overseas links in chaos.

Such drastic action would be the last resort if the prime minister remained stubborn and did not step down, union leader Somboon Sarpsarn said yesterday.

He said the union had a total of 10 steps in mind to pressure the government and cutting off international communications was the last one. As of yesterday, he said, members were at only the second step in their anti-government activity.

He said the union and the State Enterprise Relations Confederation would monitor developments and believed Premier Samak Sundaravej and his cabinet might step down before the union executed the 10th step.

He said that 30% of CAT Telecom staff took leave yesterday but all services were still functioning automatically.

However, if the people in charge of the control systems took leave together, then services would be crippled instantly, he said, adding that all staff were entitled to two weeks' leave under the law.

Bangkok Post 04/09/08

does that mean that all international transfers would halt , think of all the sick bufallo that cant get money for medicine !!!

• 2 weeks later...

They'd be cutting off thier nose to spite thier face. But as they say TiT!!!

Testicles

Sounds like they want to make a really serious dent in tourism, be warned if the automated systems go down, be ultra ultr ultra careful on manual transactions using Credit Cards and never use Debit Cards on manual transactions....

All they need is repeat the wonderful timing of closing the bars on 21st December for 5 days to elect a new sick buffalo watcher sorry P.M like they did last December.....

I reckon if they carry on like they are doing then the ratio of bar girls to customers will at 20/1 in Go/Go Bars 33/1 on Soi 6 50/1 on Soi 7 and on Beach Road you will LT for 10 Bht's top....

They decided against doing it. Some one with a brain turned up and told them what a pile of shit it would cause.

FatBob.

I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.

Military intelligence is a contradiction in terms.

Groucho Marx

• 2 weeks later...