Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Vietnam Airlines....any good?

dharma for one

Just found some pretty good deals with Vietnam airlines in December . Anyone have any experience with them?  All looks pretty straightforward ,  good connection in Hanoi and good times too.

Just wondering if theres a catch lurking somewhere, call me pessimistic...

Flew them once from Hanoi to Siem Riep and had a good experience...helpful crew, clean plane, and even a sandwich with a beer for the short flight

I flew them in 2013 long haul. No complaints from me

• 2 months later...

I've just booked them for December - Business Class. Much cheaper than Direct with Eva or Thai. Taking the chance to see Saigon on the way back.

They've just taken delivery of 787 Dreamliners and use them out of LHR. They moved to LHR from LGW a few months ago.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Good baggage allowance, good all round.

Given that there is no visa requirements now and cheaper to fly to say Saigon from UK than it is flying to Bangkok, I am thinking about making Saigon my preferred destination with side trip to Thailand.

I flew with them last December from Gatwick because then it represented a great deal against my usual direct choice of Thai or Eva. The only negative point I would like to make was on the return leg from Bangkok to Hanoi was that all the places to eat/duty free were closed at Hanoi airport.

Absolutely - hot stewardesses - and they honor my Delta Diamond status so I get a BBJCIM during the flight.

JK, I wish, but I do get full FF benefits otherwise.

Think like a VC - fail quickly, try often

Taking the chance to see Saigon on the way back.

Is that stop-over free? Any conditions?

Did you have to book via the airline directly to get it or via a search engine?

but I do get full FF benefits otherwise.

No you don't ... VN is not a full fledged partner (Tier 3) and, as such, MM bonus isn't offered on any class of service for a VN ticketed flight; MQM and MQD are drastically reduced (with the exception of J class which provides 100% MQM). I also don't believe mileage upgrades using Skymiles are available on VN flights, though full award tickets are.

No you don't ... VN is not a full fledged partner (Tier 3) and, as such, MM bonus isn't offered on any class of service for a VN ticketed flight; MQM and MQD are drastically reduced (with the exception of J class which provides 100% MQM). I also don't believe mileage upgrades using Skymiles are available on VN flights, though full award tickets are.

I meant flight benefits, the premium treatment.

MQM credit is a separate activity. Short flights anyway, mostly. I only use them for short hops.

Think like a VC - fail quickly, try often

Is that stop-over free? Any conditions?

Did you have to book via the airline directly to get it or via a search engine?

I couldn't book it on the airline site or booking sites.

I contacted the agent I used for my last flight (West-East) and they put the itinerary together.

It was about £40-50 more than the direct flight. They said that was because of airport taxes.

It has been 3 years since my last flight with them, but the Melbourne - Saigon - PP was pretty rough!  No in flight  entertainment or frills, much like Philippine Airlines!  Doable at a cheap price! 

I couldn't book it on the airline site or booking sites.

I contacted the agent I used for my last flight (West-East) and they put the itinerary together.

It was about £40-50 more than the direct flight. They said that was because of airport taxes.

OK, thanks.

With the luggage I'll have I'm more inclined to avoid the stopover to/from the UK and make a completely separate second trip to see something of Vietnam. Especially now that they have scrapped the ridiculous visa fee.

I don't exactly travel light either :-)

I don't get much chance to travel now and when I do it's got to be TLOS.

A chance to see somewhere new, albeit briefly, on the way home was one I felt I should take.

• 5 months later...

I am currently working in Vietnam and fly with Vietnam Airlines sometimes. Though I have no complain at all, I think cabin crew staff should smile. I often book ticket through this agency (BestPrice Vietnam) because the price is quite reasonable for me.

I flew with them twice in November 2013 making in-country trips Hanoi to DaNang and then DaNang to Saigon. 
Was really cheap and got upgraded to business class. 
These were 1 hour flights, very cheap $50 USD or so. 

Dreamliner on the Heathrow leg to Hanoi/HCM. I flew them Dec 2014 when they still had the 777 out of Gatwick but seats were bit tight

Archived