IGNORED

Personal Cloud by WD or others

digger65

Is anyone using the Personal Cloud drive from Western Digital (or any of the other brands) ?  I'm curious of how easy the set up and retrieval of files are.

I use dropbox, it's great cloud storage and syncs with phone.

I've got a WD 4TB external, not the cloud version but essentially similar in construction and a year old. The one thing that pisses me off is that it sleeps the drive after 5 minutes and it takes 15-20, 25 seconds to do a read cycle.. and that's local; I'd hate to think about it over a wire. 

Synology has inexpensive small cloud devices - that's getting my gaze these days. 

It's not really the "cloud" which is an internet accessible storage arrangement as much as it is a NAS that uses wi-fi which must be slower than hell to use.

Just get a good external hard drive with a high speed connection and skip all these shenanigans.

WD has a pretty mediocre reputation for reliability for these external drives and all their gee-gaws, though their raw drives are fine.

Archived