IGNORED

how safe is it to walk in Pattaya

piquetjnr

Hi there,

How safe is it to walk around in Pattaya? I won't be wearing any gold or watches, carrying mobile phones just some notes safely tucked away. I really enjoy having a good walk about as you tend to see alot more that way. How long would it take to walk down to Sukhumvit from Soi 7?

Any advice would be appreciated as it will be my first visit.

Hi there,

How safe is it to walk around in Pattaya? I won't be wearing any gold or watches, carrying mobile phones just some notes safely tucked away. I really enjoy having a good walk about as you tend to see alot more that way. How long would it take to walk down to Sukhumvit from Soi 7?

Depends what time of the day. Early hours of the morning outside the tourist areas and you may have a problem but normal times day and evening you should be alright.

Soi 7 to Sukhumvit probably about 20 minutes or less.

FatBob.

I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.

Military intelligence is a contradiction in terms.

Groucho Marx

Like FB said, some areas are probably where you shouldnt be....ie...the beach after about 11pm. heard some shit going down there once, but im usually headed to WS....never felt the need to hang out in the dark at a foreign beach. Phuket is one thing, pattaya is a diff animal.

Unless you have reason to walk to sukhumvit theres not much point apart from seeing things or unless your going to somewhere in particular. Best thing to do is walk down beach road towards and down Walking Street (even better get a baht bus) but be aware especially on the beach side of the road. Like bob said it depends what time, even on the opposite side of beach road beware of ladyboy pickpockets in 3's or 4's specially after Soi 6 and near soi 13 if you see them dont fear just know where your money is in your pocket and focus on that, banter with them. One will be in your face to distract you the other 2 will be grabbing your ass maybe and one of them will be dippping your pockets. Ive had this a few times and know how to handle it now (but its hard to explain)....just chill and make sure before they approach you eyeball them not in a violent way (just dont look vulnerable) and palm them off lol...that might sound gay but like i say i cant explain it.. if you do feel a dip in your pocket grab the wrist hard immediatly and turn round with a look of disgust and shake your head in the 'no' gesture' they very quickly apologize in my experience, but maybe they'll high heel you instead if you offend them too much...in general patts is safe to walk around, you can get a motorbike taxi for 30 baht saves all the bother, if you dont know the place at all i wouldnt just wonder anywhere mate but as i say its safe...and im not trying to put you off I see your new to the site and maybe never been there before just get motorbike taxis wherever you go you'll soon learn the score from people you meet its the easiest place to visit and get around...enjoy you will for sure

"To monger, or not to monger, that is the question"

Agree with other posters. I actually feel a lot safer walking around in Patts than at home! But as anywhere, some areas are safer than others. As above, avoid the beach side of beach road once it gets dark. Generally, if you are in an area with a lot of other tourists, you are fine (there you just have to worry about the other tourists). In my experience, limited as it is, I would say vast majority of locals are generally nice people - they are not out to get you - but there are always some bad apples. Use common sense to avoid these few and you'll be fine.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enoughâ€

“If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?â€

Albert Einstein

Do your sightseeing walking in the daytime and early evening, you surely will have no problems. I have walked Beach to Sukhumvit many times via Pattaya Tai, Klang & Nua and never even felt apprehensive.

I walked everywhere my last trip, to sightsee and I have a grudge with public transportation. There was only one time I did not feel safe and it was walking down the road right behind Soi Six because it had shitty lighting and the bargirls and ladyboys were freaking me out. Other than that, it never bothered me.

When life gives you lemons...

Fuck the lemons and grab a beer.

Read my trip report!

Pics

Just don't be stupid and you will be fine. Are there criminals...of course there are. But for the most part the only people I was at all concerned about were my fellow drunk farangs!

I myself pretty often enjoy walking along beach road. Never had any problems during evening hours. Cheapest transportation is probably motorbike taxi but they drive like total wackos, just see how many girls have scars from bike accidents.

I stayed Soi 1 my first trip walked to Walking Street via the beach at 9 PM all I got was people trying to sell me drugs (I dont do that) just keep walking.

That was a long time ago. now I just away from the beach and badly lit areas that look quite. Never had any problems after I'd been there a few days.

Hi there,

Sorry, i couldnt find the right place to post this, but i live less than an hour from the Tiajuana border, and Tiajuana is also know for a rather rampant sex trade. I'm looking for someone who has been to both cities, to give me a comparison: friendliness of women, ease of meeting, price comparisons and the like.

I've walked from Nth Pattaya to WS via Beach Rd, as well as 2nd rd a few times. Never been harrassed or felt unsafe.

A simple rule of thumb, "if you're the only one there, then you shouldn't be there".

Show me any woman, and I'll show you the bloke thats sick of rooting her!

comparing Tijuana & Pattaya

Pattaya has 1000 times as many girls, average is a 6 compared to TJ's 3, unless you like fat big busted girls then TJ wins.

Cost in Pattaya is 1/10 that of TJ and a BBJ from a 6+ costs what 1 table dance costs you in Southern California.

Once you experience LBFM's you won't waste your time or money in TJ, just scrimp and save for your LOS trip.

Put it this way I would rather walk through Pattaya at night than Manchester anytime.

I think the topic of walking is pretty well covered, but I noticed in your topic description that you didn't care for busses (neither do I), but the Baht Busses you hear mentioned so often are not really busses at all, they are pick up trucks with seating in the back, here is a photo of one of the zillions on the road.

DSC00119a.jpg

They ran all over town, when you see one going the direction u want to go, just flag it down and hop on. When u get to where u want to go, ring the buzzer, get off, give the driver ur 10 baht, and you are good to go. Baht busses are an adventure of their own sort, and I do know of at least one BM who considers them a good source of ladies.

Rick

i do alot of walking when im in pattaya. not sure if anyone has mentioned this but the real problem you have is fending off the numbers of indian tailors trying to get you into their shops, otherwise its fine. during the day along the beach you will also have alot of people trying to sell you 'jetski'

I enjoy a good walk around PATTS. Check your map before you go. Soi 7 to Soi 8 is only 1 short block,

but from Sio7 to Soi 6 is at least 1 mile. Can be a little confusing at first, especilly when lt's very hot and sunny.

Wear light clothes and a hat. Stop for a massage or a soapie to cool down. The bars on Soi 6 have showers also!

General rule of thumb.

Walk where it is light and there are plenty of people.

The Baht buses are actually rather good and very easy to get the hang of.

If you have a BG with you and she says 'not go there' .......... Listen to her.

Often the girls are a better guard than a Rotweiler.

Edited by Merangue

comparing Tijuana & Pattaya

Pattaya has 1000 times as many girls, average is a 6 compared to TJ's 3, unless you like fat big busted girls then TJ wins.

Cost in Pattaya is 1/10 that of TJ and a BBJ from a 6+ costs what 1 table dance costs you in Southern California.

Once you experience LBFM's you won't waste your time or money in TJ, just scrimp and save for your LOS trip.

Thanks a bunch for the info