IGNORED

Applying for a 60 day re-entry Visa in Vientiane

MattyStock

I will have to leave Thailand soon, and I plan on going to Vientiane to apply for the 60 day re-entry visa. I was told to fly their apply, get it approved and come back. Does anyone know if I can travel to Vientiane from Thailand by bus and still apply, or do I have to fly in to Laos to get this Visa?

Sorry I have no personal experience, but it would be addressed in the context of multiple Visa? I would also like to know the right answer. I fear that entry via land borders will only be a 15 day visa entry.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

Waht you seem to asking about is a Tourist Visa, good for a 60 day entry. I think you have visas and re-entry permits mixed up.

It doesn't matter how you go to Laos, bus is OK. You have to go to the Thai Embassy to get the visa.

The only time it matters whether you fly back to Thailand or cross at a land border is when you enter WITHOUT a visa.

If it's a new visa you need you go to Vientiane , if you only need a stamp you only have to go to the border . 

Flying to Vientiane is pretty expensive . I have done the trip a couple of times by flying to Udon Thani with

Air Asia and take a minibus from the airport (can't miss them , 200/250Bht) to Nong Kai and the friendship

bridge . Cross the border and on the other side tuk tuk/taxis are waiting to bring you to Vientiane . 

Doesn't matter how you leave the country and in case of a tourist visa it also doesn't matter how you enter 

the country . You always get 60 days (and if you want a 30 day extension in Jomtien immigration for 1900Bht) .  

So if I enter into Thailand with a valid tourist visa from the embassy in my own country usually get 60 days of stay on airport. For example, if  day No.40 decide to leave Thailand for five days in Laos my original 60-day visa or authorized stay still valid when I come back (have still remaining 15 days), or do I need a new visa? If I get in return from Laos, get a new visa on board for 15 days only, when I back to Thailand and enter via a land border crossing? For completeness, I have to say I do not want to stay more than 60 days in Thailand.
Can someone please simple explain me? Thanks.

So if I enter into Thailand with a valid tourist visa from the embassy in my own country usually get 60 days of stay on airport. For example, if  day No.40 decide to leave Thailand for five days in Laos my original 60-day visa or authorized stay still valid when I come back (have still remaining 15 days), or do I need a new visa? If I get in return from Laos, get a new visa on board for 15 days only, when I back to Thailand and enter via a land border crossing? For completeness, I have to say I do not want to stay more than 60 days in Thailand.

As soon as you leave Thailand, you're back to square 1.  You can either opt to get a new visa (and get stamped in for 60 days), or, if  returning by land, get stamped in for 15/30/60 days depending on your nationality.

As soon as you leave Thailand, you're back to square 1.  You can either opt to get a new visa (and get stamped in for 60 days), or, if  returning by land, get stamped in for 15/30/60 days depending on your nationality.

Enter without a visa for citizens of the European Union, normally 30 days, but by air. Therefore get only 15 days enetr by land.

Thanks filibuster

Enter without a visa for citizens of the European Union, normally 30 days, but by air. Therefore get only 15 days enetr by land.

Thanks filibuster

Nothing to do with the EU.  Some get 30 days by land (G7 countries), others get 15 days.

The 60 days is the maximum life of the visa once used. If it is a single entry then after 40 days it is not usable. There are double entry, triple entry and multiple entry (usually) and they cost progressively more. A double entry would still be only 60 days but you get another 60 days when you enter again. Multiple entry are not unlimited - they are for a set period of entries and exits and reentries over (IIRC) 90 days.  So get the right visa and you are set. 

When you enter without a visa and are from a country where one is not required (say US, UK, Canada) you do not get a visa at the border for 30 or 15 days. You get an exemption NOT to have a visa. For 15 days or 30 (I think they dropped the whole 15 day land border thing).

The 60 days is the maximum life of the visa once used. If it is a single entry then after 40 days it is not usable. There are double entry, triple entry and multiple entry (usually) and they cost progressively more. A double entry would still be only 60 days but you get another 60 days when you enter again. Multiple entry are not unlimited - they are for a set period of entries and exits and reentries over (IIRC) 90 days.  So get the right visa and you are set. 

When you enter without a visa and are from a country where one is not required (say US, UK, Canada) you do not get a visa at the border for 30 or 15 days. You get an exemption NOT to have a visa. For 15 days or 30 (I think they dropped the whole 15 day land border thing).

Thank you all for your time and answers:hello09:

For 15 days or 30 (I think they dropped the whole 15 day land border thing).

The dropped it for passport holders of the G7 countries.  From the Immigration Department website ...

"If such nationals enter the Kingdom at the immigration checkpoints which border neighboring countries, they will be allowed to stay for 15 days each time, except (1) Malaysian nationals who cross the borderline from Malaysia, (2) Nationals of the G7 countries: USA, UK, Canada, France, Germany, Italy and Japan, whose granted period of stay will not exceed 30 days each time."

Archived