Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

computer problem

catsmeow

I have a laptop and recently have been having problems with my microsoft documents. When copying and pasting or just trying to open up them it has been slow, and when I try to close one, I get "this program not responding". Also I cannot burn CD's anymore. Otherwise it runs OK on navigating other stuff. Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Vista? XP? How much RAM do you have? How big of hard drive and how full is it? Your swap file may not have enough memory. What other programs are you running? I would check the task manager (ctrl shift esc) and then go to processes, and sort the files by memory use. You will see what is hogging all the memory.

You might want to upgrade your RAM if you are running Vista with less than 1 GB.

Post some more info, and some of us here should be able to assist!!!

If it floats, flies or fucks, RENT IT!!!!! "He who hesitates, masturbates"

Can you give me any suggestions?

I've heard that registry mechanic works well. I've never used it personally. Maybe someone else can comment.

Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't they'd be married too. -H.L. Mencken

I use

ad-aware

spy bot search and destroy

avg virus scanner

registry mechanic

Give them all a go and report back, the first three are free, please try them first.

I use

ad-aware

avg virus scanner

registry mechanic

Give them all a go and report back, the first three are free, please try them first.

If anyone knows... you do!

catsmeow: I recommend that you first supply some basic details about your computer - e.g. the model, which operating system, how much memory, which version of Microsoft Office? Which anti-virus software is installed?

This sort of basic information is important otherwise you could end up with useless suggestions or none at all.

I use

ad-aware

avg virus scanner

registry mechanic

This is a link to get these programs and more incase you havent got them.. :D

There is some real good stuff on this site..

http://www.download.com/3101-2001_4-0.html...stPopTwoColWrap

HI mate, i,ve got a new Sony vaio laptop and last month it started playing up so i rang sony help desk and the guy was realy helpfull, he just talked me through all my pc problems, easy peezy,job done , so i sujest you ring up the manfacturer either, sony, dell, hp, whatever the make they all have trained staff who,ll sort out yoyr problems, good look

I have a laptop and recently have been having problems with my microsoft documents. When copying and pasting or just trying to open up them it has been slow, and when I try to close one, I get "this program not responding". Also I cannot burn CD's anymore. Otherwise it runs OK on navigating other stuff. Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Often when doing a lot of cut and paste you are making the computer cache out a lot of stuff, writing stuff to the hard drive so it can use the RAM for the cut and paste activity.

If you have a full hard drive, especially Drive C: where most disk caching occurs, you can experience this slowness, so I'd suggest you ensure there is plenty of space on that C drive. Once you do that, make sure you do a Disk Cleanup and then Disk Defragment, both utilities in the Accessories, System Tools area.

If these don't work, get back to us, Cheerz Sharky.

Often when doing a lot of cut and paste you are making the computer cache out a lot of stuff, writing stuff to the hard drive so it can use the RAM for the cut and paste activity.

If you have a full hard drive, especially Drive C: where most disk caching occurs, you can experience this slowness, so I'd suggest you ensure there is plenty of space on that C drive. Once you do that, make sure you do a Disk Cleanup and then Disk Defragment, both utilities in the Accessories, System Tools area.

If these don't work, get back to us, Cheerz Sharky.

Thanks Sharky, I'll try that and if you are in Pattaya in October, I'll buy you a drink.

catsmeow: I recommend that you first supply some basic details about your computer - e.g. the model, which operating system, how much memory, which version of Microsoft Office? Which anti-virus software is installed?

This sort of basic information is important otherwise you could end up with useless suggestions or none at all.

Good point. I have an Asus A2500H, Windows home edition XP, 480mb Ram usable (from 512), Microsoft Office 2003, NOD 32 anti-virus.

I'm no computer whizz but I reckon you dont have that much ram... my laptop has 2 gig (as opposed to your 512mb) and mines 18 months old.

Ram willbe cheap as chips (see what I did there!) in tukcom... maybe you could get it upgraded there

Good point. I have an Asus A2500H, Windows home edition XP, 480mb Ram usable (from 512), Microsoft Office 2003, NOD 32 anti-virus.

Definitely get more RAM as IHM suggested. It's cheap and easy to install. You can find directions online if you don't know how(google). Keep NOD 32, it's the best anti-virus on the market IMO. Follow the other suggestion of getting Spyboot and Adware, both free and very good.

Edited by killphil

Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't they'd be married too. -H.L. Mencken

download ccleaner

http://www.ccleaner.com/

here is the link............it is free and it clears out all the temporary internet files and cookies

u can also use it to correct any registry problems your computer has......just remember to use the back up facility before u start

also download superantispyware http://www.superantispyware.com/?tag=GOOGLE-SUPERANTISPYWARE

another free program but is the best for finding and deleting spyware and adware

if u do these 2 things and make sure u have anti virus installed and up to date your computer should run fine

Definitely get more RAM as IHM suggested. It's cheap and easy to install. You can find directions online if you don't know how(google). Keep NOD 32, it's the best anti-virus on the market IMO. Follow the other suggestion of getting Spyboot and Adware, both free and very good.

I have Spybot and AdAware but don't use Spybot anymore because it takes too long. I have a program called "Clean Up" and I run it after I use AdAware. I find that after I run Clean Up, and then I run Spybot, the Spybot doesn't find anything. The idea of getting more RAM was also suggested by a repair facility where I live. As in anything I am not too familiar with, I like to get as much feedback as possible.

I have Spybot and AdAware but don't use Spybot anymore because it takes too long. I have a program called "Clean Up" and I run it after I use AdAware. I find that after I run Clean Up, and then I run Spybot, the Spybot doesn't find anything. The idea of getting more RAM was also suggested by a repair facility where I live. As in anything I am not too familiar with, I like to get as much feedback as possible.

If you are going to get more RAM then I would suggest you check what is in your computer. Maybe you have two banks of 256 ram in their making a total of 512. There should be an opening on the bottom of your laptop where the ram is. Your computer has a limit of 1 gig of ram anyway, I believe. You could buy two blocks of 512 ram and put that in there if you only have two 256 ram in there at the moment or you could just buy one block of 512 ram and have about 760 ram in there, up to you.If you just have one block of 512 ram in there then buy another one and shot that in there as well. All depends what's in there at the moment.The ram for your computer is fairly cheap.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...A2000H%20Series

http://support.asus.com/default.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

FatBob.

Edited by FatBob

I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.

Military intelligence is a contradiction in terms.

Groucho Marx

catsmeow: before you spend any money, I would suggest the following:

1. If you haven't already done so then backup all of your important documents.

2. Run Disk Cleanup then Disk Defragmenter. (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools)

If Defragmenter won't defragment because of insufficient disk space then you will have to remove unwanted files or programs to make the space.

3. Make sure that you have downloaded and installed the latest versions of XP (I believe we are now up to Service Pack 3) and Office 2003 (also at Service Pack 3).

4. Download and run a good registry cleaner. CCleaner has a very good reputation. My personal preference is for Glary Registry Repair 3. (Both are free from www.download.com)

5. Restart the computer once more then let us know if the problem persists.

catsmeow: before you spend any money, I would suggest the following:

1. If you haven't already done so then backup all of your important documents.

2. Run Disk Cleanup then Disk Defragmenter. (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools)

If Defragmenter won't defragment because of insufficient disk space then you will have to remove unwanted files or programs to make the space.

3. Make sure that you have downloaded and installed the latest versions of XP (I believe we are now up to Service Pack 3) and Office 2003 (also at Service Pack 3).

4. Download and run a good registry cleaner. CCleaner has a very good reputation. My personal preference is for Glary Registry Repair 3. (Both are free from www.download.com)

5. Restart the computer once more then let us know if the problem persists.

I've done everything and the computer is running good except I get a pop up every once in awhile that says it is a Microsoft alert and I don't think it's from Microsoft and when I had clicked on enable protection, it sends me to a site to buy software.

I've done everything and the computer is running good except I get a pop up every once in awhile that says it is a Microsoft alert and I don't think it's from Microsoft and when I had clicked on enable protection, it sends me to a site to buy software.

catsmeow: I would advise against clicking links on suspicious pop-ups.

I would recommend that you go to download.com and get the free edition of Ad-Aware 2008. After install, click the update button to get the latest version of the program then run a full system scan. Delete the junk that it finds. (From memory, the results appear on three tabs.) This may be sufficient but with this type of program it is advisable to have two installed as one tends to catch what the other misses. So, I would also recommend that you download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.28 (also available from download.com)then do a full system scan and also delete any junk it finds.

Let us know how you get on.

• 1 month later...

If no one has mentioned this, try defragging your drive. If your computer is slow and you hear the HD churning constantly it usually means that your files are all fragmented and stored all over the place on the disc platter. Defrag it and it should improve. Make sure you run it when you are ready to go to bed because depending on how bad it is and size, it may take several hours!

• 6 months later...

Try this web site:

http://katz.cd/

Do a search for System Mechanic Professional in the apps section. Download and intall. Cleans your registry, disk cache, defrags, and more.

I've been using it for a while and like it a lot.

Also, if you've got Vista, 3-4Gb of RAM seems to work best. If you're running 64 Bit Vista, go for the 4Gb RAM; that's what I'm using and it runs noticeably faster than 1 Gb originally installed.

Also, Spyobt is free and is not bad for getting that pesky spyware off your computer. Malwarebyte'sAntimalware is good to and you can find hacked versions on the above web site.

Cheers,

J