IGNORED

Finnish restaurant/guesthouse Maikan Majatalo Soi Yume

This one is for good food and huge portions and huge really means HUGE. They have a traditional Finnish dishes plus standard farang food(schnitzels, steaks, pastas, soups etc) and a large thai food menu. Prices are not the cheapest(but affordable), but the portions are really huge. For most of the farang food mains they have a warranty, if you finish your dish and still feel hungry, you can have the another portion for free.

It is located on Soi Yume couple of hundred meters of Pattaya Klang's Big C. You may think it's far away, but when you have finished your main, no problems walking to the crossroads of Pattaya Klang and Soi Buakhao(about 500m away) just to digest the amount of food you just ate.  :GoldenSmile1:  Restaurant is open 7:30am till midnight.

Maikan Majatalo translates as Teacher's Guesthouse. It's a popular spot for the Finnish punters but also the other nationalities are finding it a fab place to be. If you want to eat, Thursday is not the best day to be there after 5pm. There is a quiz with a 130bht all you can eat buffet every Thursday on 7pm and it's packed full. You can also watch most of the European sports from their 84'' TV or participate a "killer" pool tournament.

If you're hungry and want to discover some new areas of Pattaya, make a visit there.

Here is the whole menu: http://www.maikanmajatalo.com/images/menu.pdf

Unfortunately their website is Finnish only but here is some food pics from their website: http://www.maikanmajatalo.com/ravintola.html

My pics:

Tenderloin steak with pepper sauce&bacon potatoes:

maikkadish1.jpg

Sirloin steak with same potatoes:

maikkadish2.jpg

Quiz night with a buffet -> full house(over 100 punters):

maikkaquiz.jpg

Location map:

maikkamap.jpg

Would you mind translating the room rates also,is that between 7000b-18000b for monthly rent? water and electric ? thanks.

Would you mind translating the room rates also,is that between 7000b-18000b for monthly rent? water and electric ? thanks.

Rooms are 300-800bht/day or 7000-18000bht/month. I think it depends if it's on the high/low season and the size of the room. Better to ask from them directly if you're interested: [email protected]

I haven't been living in the guesthouse, only eating and having fun/watch the sports in the restaurant.

Ok thanks ,always good to hear about food/accommodation places off the beaten path or usual places.

If you like a cold smoked salmon. They have it too. There is a friend of the owner who does it. You can buy it and enjoy it. Not cheap but just delicious.

Maikan guesthouse offers affordable rooms throughout the year.

Price / performance ratio is very competitive, the various rooms rents vary between 300-800b / day or 7000-18 000b / month.  
All the rooms still air!

Prices range from studios and two-room flats, as well as summer and winter season. (In the summer cheaper)

Ask for today's 
here! 

Maja House is a quiet and clean rooms, rooms with a total of 16. All rooms have air conditioning and fan, King size bed, digital safes, refrigerators, mini-bar, cable TV, reading lamps, 

wardrobe, makeup table etc. 
S Eka functional free wireless internet access. In addition, a ceiling fan , another bigger TV, DVD player, microwave, kettle etc.

Separate living room with a 42 "flat-screen TV and a private DVD player.

Each room also has its own spacious bathroom and showers will also always warm water.

Most of the rooms have a balcony and some separate living room. 

The rooms are cleaned on a daily basis. (new towels every day, bed sheets every 3 days)

The lower floor can be borrowed free of charge, rooms laptop or DVD player (some already have the piece) and Finnish films.

Also, extra beds, extratuulettimista, water cookers or possible overnight guests will not be charged extra. On the day of departure rooms must keep free taxi up to the entry. The exception of course, if in the same room getting a new tenant on the same day, then the check-out at 12:00. The rooms are really quiet, the street is at night completely quiet.The rooms are also relatively new, the building was completed in. 2007 and the latest additional rooms in the autumn of 2009.  The street is almost liikennetön during the day, in the morning not get to sleep without disturbing as long as you want! Ask for today's quote from here:

IMG_0428.JPG

[email protected]

To Welcome!

Damn jpmelville, was planning to do this also, but I've been too lazy.

For full menu (also in english)

http://maikanmajatalo.com/images/menu.pdf

Never had a bad meal there.

I specially like the Tex Mex chicken

Also the American Breakfast used to be very big portion & tasty.

There is also Finnish Sauna in the roof,

It is hot on saturdays 100b/person (free for guesthouse customers)

Saturdays they also do some barbeque on the roof terrace.

If you go to sauna better buy beers from downstairs before you go up since they

dont sell it upstairs (havent been in sauna there for 3 years, so things may have changed)

there is a fridge upstairs where you can keep your beers cool.

Also they heat it up for private parties (minimum 3 persons I think)

some pics of Sauna there

http://maikanmajatalo.com/sauna.html

Now that's a proper sauna. (Except it doesn't look wood fired, but one can't have everything.) Too many fancy "saunas" around where they apparently think that slow cooking people at 60 degrees is going to get them clean.

I imagine getting fresh birch branches in Pattaya could present a bit of a challenge, though :wink:

I imagine getting fresh birch branches in Pattaya could present a bit of a challenge, though :wink:

But you can import the torturing devices from Finland. Frozen Vihta(Vasta) can be bought from the supermarkets during the wintertime. They don't last long though. Last year we had one in Hua Hin and it lost all the leaves within one sauna session. Sometimes the owner of this place advertises there is the vihta's in their sauna. They say in Finland if the sauna, booze, or tar will cure you illness, it's fatal. The sauna will be the first cure... :Think1:

This is vihta. When in sauna you will beat yourself(or someone else) with it. Great for your blood circulation. Also gives a great aroma when you put the wet vihta on the top of the heater(beer also gives the great rye bread aroma when poured in to the heater with some water).

Finnish_Vasta_%28Vihta%29.jpg

Sauna is the killer for some. Don't try it with Finns and if you don't like the full frontal nudity :GoldenSmile1: In Finland it's pretty common to dive in the snow after the sauna session, or dive to the icy cold water. They say it's good for your health but I just can't do it. Too cold after the nice hot sauna session.

One more thing. As I wrote in the OP, there is a thai menu too, so BGs can also go there with you. One BG told me the thai food was good too. I haven't eaten from their thai menu as those schnitsels and steaks are too good to be missed.

Archived