Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Areca Lodge

amagarwa

Too many non-mongers for my liking.   The obese chav couple with toddler and infant in Evergreen.   Non-monger golfing trips.   The many middle aged gringas strolling up the soi during the day.  Some of them staying at Areca.   Middle aged Thai women and chinese women customers some with adult daughters lounging by the pool.   The pool scene looked nothing like the pictures I had seen beforehand.

I was cool with the old brit couples where the women know that other men sometimes get away to have fun, and are okay with it.

You must be careful about what you say to staff.   Good breakfast.

Forgot about the Russian families by the Evergreen pool all day.    There were mongers of all types too; it is a big hotel.   One was a Thai monger and his buddy who bought over 30 drinks one night at Iron.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I didn't hate it; this board totally overrated it. For the price point (evergreen room). You can do much better .. I stayed in April. Wifi spotty ... AC went out 3 of the 13 days.. The bathroom shower sucks with rude receptionist ... Didn't hate it. But won't return. Can do much better

Are you on a mission? Lol

You know people won't take you serious using that style?

Sent from a Samsung soon

ABSO-FUKIN-LUTELY im on a mission.

Because I travel around the world (something I have done for years)  I am one of the top-rated writers on TripAdvisor and many other such sites.  I will in fact impact them, not put them out of business, but possibly cost them several hundred room nights of revenue.  A hotel of their supposed quality and price point should have flawless internet, there is NO excuse.  For years I stayed at PBR and other hotels at half their price point...sure you give them some slack if a major storm or some other thing beyond their control...but to just not care, as they obviously don't, thats a horse of another color...and this horse needs to visit the glue factory.  I spoke to the resort manager this morning, SA, she couldn't have cared less.

I will obviously word my review differently, but anyone who reads it will move on to the next hotel.  

YES, i am on a one-man mission to have them lose as many customers as possible.  110% yes.

And, I will say, this is the first time in a decade that THIS BOARD let me down.  I have no idea (other than its proximity to LKM) why anyone would want to stay here.

Firmly, confidently and righteously, Alex

PS. I am generally a very positive "let it roll off your back" kinda guy...other than the insanity that is Songkran, this is the only really negative post I have made to this board in over 10 years.

this board totally overrated it.

That my friend is the understatement of the century...this place should be razed to the ground and then the site sown with salt.

ABSO-FUKIN-LUTELY im on a mission.

Because I travel around the world (something I have done for years) I am one of the top-rated writers on TripAdvisor and many other such sites. I will in fact impact them, not put them out of business, but possibly cost them several hundred room nights of revenue. A hotel of their supposed quality and price point should have flawless internet, there is NO excuse. For years I stayed at PBR and other hotels at half their price point...sure you give them some slack if a major storm or some other thing beyond their control...but to just not care, as they obviously don't, thats a horse of another color...and this horse needs to visit the glue factory. I spoke to the resort manager this morning, SA, she couldn't have cared less.

I will obviously word my review differently, but anyone who reads it will move on to the next hotel.

YES, i am on a one-man mission to have them lose as many customers as possible. 110% yes.

And, I will say, this is the first time in a decade that THIS BOARD let me down. I have no idea (other than its proximity to LKM) why anyone would want to stay here.

Firmly, confidently and righteously, Alex

PS. I am generally a very positive "let it roll off your back" kinda guy...other than the insanity that is Songkran, this is the only really negative post I have made to this board in over 10 years.

Why did PA let you down? Do you mean you are staying there because it was recommended here?

Sent from a Samsung soon

... AC went out 3 of the 13 days.. The bathroom shower sucks with rude receptionist ... Didn't hate it. But won't return. Can do much better

AC faults seem to be common at Areca Lodge, I had to change rooms first time I stayed due to AC failure, think they need a refurb.

Next trip Aug 31-Sep13, theme: try more freelancers, get dirty! Note to self: TAKE MORE PHOTOS!!!

Why did PA let you down? Do you mean you are staying there because it was recommended here?

Sent from a Samsung soon

Yes, it is supposedly "top rated" hotel on here...baffling.  Over the years, many have said they loved it...baffling.

IF you don't need internet, IF you want a real hotel close to LKM, IF you are a family or meeting your "thai family (i.e. gf/children) then ok, I get it.  But not really, cuz even then there are far better, newer, cheaper options around.  

I really picked it for three reasons...one, for as long as I have been coming to Pats folks on here have said they love it and I was curious.  Second, because its the end of a month-long trip (I stayed a couple nights at W15 which was 10/10...and then did 3 weeks in a VT6 condo 10/10) I thought what the heck, give it a try and spend more time on LKM.  Lastly, i have been plagued by a bad hip joint this trip and I had booked into a LKM guesthouse (something I've never tried) but decided I simply couldn't do any stairs without severe pain...so needed a hotel with elevator and changed at the last minute.

HUGE MISTAKE. SHIT HOLE. worn and outdated rooms, lousy mattresses, service folks that couldn't care less, bad food.  Honestly, if forced to think of 3 positives, I couldn't. Best I could conjure up would be its an easy walk to/from LKM and it has 2 nice pools.

Alex

Thx for the answer Alex :-)

Sent from a Samsung soon

AC faults seem to be common at Areca Lodge, I had to change rooms first time I stayed due to AC failure, think they need a refurb.

YES the entire hotel needs to be razed to the ground.  Its all dated, beaten to death...ac, beds, furnishings, refrigerators look like something my grandmother would have had, tvs are tiny, breakfast provided was pitiful, and there are more ramps and stairs between buildings and pools than I can count.

GIVE THIS hotel A PASS...

Alex

Odd stuff there Alex. You read this thread and others on PA but yet didn't know Areca Lodge's wifi might not be great or that the rooms are rather dated?

Sounds like you didn't do enough research. You should be mad at yourself and not the hotel. If you're really one of the top reviewers on TripAdvisor, then you're exactly the reason why I ignore the abnormally bad reviews on there. I'm surprised you didn't find your room at VT6 dated too, many of them are.

Just for the record, I'm no fan of Areca. I have never stayed there. I was considering it for a future trip and after reading reports on PA about the weak wifi and the shower over the bath, I chose a different hotel.

Ok, so you didn't like it, does that mean nobody else is entitled to have another opinion?

A look at most hotels on Trip Advisor will have a variety of views and in this case my view of the hotel is entirely different to you and I also am apparently at the top of one of Trip Advisor lists which I do't attach much credit to.

I like their breakfasts, think their TV's are fine and have been in a room when they changed the refrigerator to a brand new one! I have always found the beds comfortable,I like the location, love lounging around the pools in the afternoons and will be going back there later in the year.

Could improvements be made, of course there could, personally would prefer a shower to a shower/bath and sometimes the wi-fi has not been 100%, but any time I reported it, someone came up from reception to sort the issue.

I have stayed at other hotels in Pattaya including some in the LK group including the LK Metro which other members like but I personally don't like, but hey they are entitled to their opinion.

If we all loved the same hotel it would get a bit packed!

Odd stuff there Alex. You read this thread and others on PA but yet didn't know Areca Lodge's wifi might not be great or that the rooms are rather dated?

Sounds like you didn't do enough research. You should be mad at yourself and not the hotel. If you're really one of the top reviewers on TripAdvisor, then you're exactly the reason why I ignore the abnormally bad reviews on there. I'm surprised you didn't find your room at VT6 dated too, many of them are.

Just for the record, I'm no fan of Areca. I have never stayed there. I was considering it for a future trip and after reading reports on PA about the weak wifi and the shower over the bath, I chose a different hotel.

Yes read the reports on Trip Adviser about shower over bath and wifi but chose the hotel for location & pools so will decide in November when I stay there.

Not odd at all.  Just the facts.  NO i didn't read this thread, if I had, I would have never booked it.  That IS my bad and you are right I didn't do enough research.  If you read everything I posted here, I stated this was a very rushed and last minute change.  I was in fact booked many weeks ago into a LKM guesthouse for the last few days of my trip and was looking forward to my balcony over the LKM action.  HOWEVER, due to a recent injury, I could simply not do the steps, needed an elevator.  So, having read lots of good reports IN THE PAST about this hotel over the years, and that it was very popular with guys that liked the LKM scene, I pulled the trigger (again without reading the latest stuff).

I have however been a member of the board for many, many years (i joined back in the Matrix and Scumbag days).  HOWEVER, i did see in another thread that it is still like in the top 10 of picks on Agoda...I think in the top 3...baffling.  NO hotel in 2016 charging the rates Areca does has ANY excuse for not having flawless internet.  The tech to provide it is cheap and easy to install.  I had been staying in PattayaBay Resort 1 street over for less than half this price and for years have had carefree internet service there as just one example.

As for my condo in VT6, it was very up to date, brand new plush king mattress (uber comfortable), large walkin shower with multiple heads, fully fitted kitchen with everything one could want, and a balcony on high floor with sea view, covered guarded parking for your motorbike, awesome pool, massage and other services right in the building for days when its pouring down rain, two little mini-marts, and Central Festival right next door...it was perfect and will be where I go from now on...well worth the $$$, i would have continued my stay there after my decision re elevator but the condo i was in was fully booked up.

Ok, so you didn't like it, does that mean nobody else is entitled to have another opinion?

A look at most hotels on Trip Advisor will have a variety of views and in this case my view of the hotel is entirely different to you and I also am apparently at the top of one of Trip Advisor lists which I do't attach much credit to.

I like their breakfasts, think their TV's are fine and have been in a room when they changed the refrigerator to a brand new one! I have always found the beds comfortable,I like the location, love lounging around the pools in the afternoons and will be going back there later in the year.

Could improvements be made, of course there could, personally would prefer a shower to a shower/bath and sometimes the wi-fi has not been 100%, but any time I reported it, someone came up from reception to sort the issue.

I have stayed at other hotels in Pattaya including some in the LK group including the LK Metro which other members like but I personally don't like, but hey they are entitled to their opinion.

If we all loved the same hotel it would get a bit packed!

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one...including me and you.  I can't imagine what you liked about the breakfast, it was very limited and food was cold (french toast was pathetic).  Coffee was like dishwater, etc etc.  The tv's are maybe 32"...laughable.  Again, granny's fridge is a joke.  Beds are not pillowtop or even close to comfortable unless you like sleeping in a hammock (and I'm in a supposedly deluxe room overlooking the pool) with a balcony.  I DID SAY the pools were nice.  Personally I prefer a shower, but tub is ok, no biggie either way unless you like playing with girls in there...then forget it.

As for sorting the wifi, I must have had 7 or 8 visits from both staff and the IT guy...no help or resolution...their pipe simply sucks...slow and intermittent.

You are right, if we all loved the same places they would be fully booked....oh wait...most of the ones folks love on here are...I remember several times the PBR was booked up when friends of mine failed to book far enough in advance...I always made sure I was in their books months ahead of time.

Cheers, Alex

PS. I should add that I spend upwards of 100 nights a year in hotels (combo of holiday and work) all over the world (North America, Latin America, South America, Europe, Asia, Middle East, Africa.  I have stayed in everything...B&Bs to 5-star hotels, in a few places even rooms that did not offer hot water in the shower...lol.  I know the difference between a good room and a bad one.  Two things set me off...first that they charge $50usd+ for a room without good wifi and that the management simply didn't care.

Some people will obviously be able to find an excuse to bitch and cry about anything. I have stayed at Areca and a few others and Areca is by far the best. I cant belive the comments about the price of a room at Areca, do these people realize what a f..king bargain thses rooms are?...try staying anywhere else in the world for these prices and then you will really have something to bitch about.

Some people will obviously be able to find an excuse to bitch and cry about anything. I have stayed at Areca and a few others and Areca is by far the best. I cant belive the comments about the price of a room at Areca, do these people realize what a f..king bargain thses rooms are?...try staying anywhere else in the world for these prices and then you will really have something to bitch about.

Prices are only relevant to where you are.  I can get a 5-star room in Bangkok for the same $.  So what?  Same in Cambodia.  I can pay $1500usd/night in NYC.  So what.  YES, in pattaya, as has been stated by many, there are far better rooms for less $$$ than Areca Lodge.

AND THE SAGA CONTINUED...

Thank god i checked out of this hell hole today...but the disappointments continued.  

Not only was there zero acknowledgement of the challenges I had (and every front desk member knew me by now and of them) such as a credit or comp of mini-bar as I have had happen many times all over the world, but when I asked for the bill, and asked that my additional charges be put on my card (I had pre-paid for the room online or I would have left after 1 night) they informed me a 5% FEE would be added for using a credit card.  FOOK THAT.  Of course I paid cash which is all they really wanted.

THIS hotel HAS NO CLASS, NO CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS.

It was a small charge as I only had one meal poolside (after the shit food, id never eat here again) and a couple sodas from mini-bar...so I really didn't care, it was just the culmination of the most horrible stay of any place I have been in over a decade of visiting pats.

Stayed here for a month in May, loved it and will definitely return on my next trip.

Can't get my head around the bitchiness from the poster above, maybe it was coz he came out with the "Don't you know who I am" crap ?

i held up 2 drinks for my cleaning lady, and she chose a 'kato' drink..   after that i gave her a cold one every day, when she cleaned my room,

i told her 'you work hard'  ..  she had a back brace, but still sweat on her back ..

i only had to say 'hi' and she would do my room/ bed first..  extra towels no problem..  plates and cutlery to eat food with girl..  she'd get it ..

the only person i had a problem with, was the gay receptionist..  too 'strict' rule follower ..  not flexible at all..

hung like einstein and smart as a mule..

I'm looking at Areca, Page 10 or lk Renaissance for April next year but I'm not too sure which hotel to go for

Stayed here for a month in May, loved it and will definitely return on my next trip.

Can't get my head around the bitchiness from the poster above, maybe it was coz he came out with the "Don't you know who I am" crap ?

nope not at all...i gave them no attitude at all, just a look of puzzlement at their incompetence.  Im no more or less than any other customer...and the place is crap.  no value for the money

I'm looking at Areca, page 10 or lk Renaissance for April next year but I'm not too sure which hotel to go for

whatever you do, don't stay at Areca, its a shit hole and horrible service.

page10 is ok, LKRen is good too but showing its age a bit.

cheers alex

Hedonist, you`re full of crap!
What you say about bad service is a stinking lie, have stayed here during 4 trips and service here is excellent.
Food here is also great, even  many of my barfines choose to eat at the hotel.
If it wasnt for the WI FI i would have nothing to bitch about

"Hello Mrs Shaw could I borrow your lawnmower?"

Hedonist, you`re full of crap!

What you say about bad service is a stinking lie, have stayed here during 4 trips and service here is excellent.

Food here is also great, even  many of my barfines choose to eat at the hotel.

If it wasnt for the WI FI i would have nothing to bitch about

No, not full of crap, unless its after a meal at this hole...then it passes quickly...lol.

You experienced what you have, I experienced what i have...obviously very different experiences.  And i certainly don't measure quality by local tastes as they love to eat bugs, I do not...do you?

Alex

Archived