IGNORED

I have a question about the "O" visa

SlowlyMan

I was just reading another thread about extended stay options.  I went to the Chicago consulate web site and used the visa wizard.

I selected "other" as the reason for stay.

I was directed to file an "O" visa and use  the standard visa form. The only additional item they requested different from the tourist visa is an employment letter.

I'm over 50, The US Embassy site indicates I need to prove income of 65,000 to qualify for a retirement visa.

I would not stay over 90 days, but this would save me having to get an extension to the 60 day tourist visa.

Nowhere in the process was retirement mentioned

Am I missing something here. Will the consulate kick it back to me if I send it in with "other" selected.

I suspect it took you to the details of the O visa that is for people with a Thai wife and/or children. The retirement visa in the non-immigrant type O-A.

Also the requirements posted on the websites are often more stringent than those that they will require. It is best to contact them and ask what they require.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I will soon be applying for my third O-A visa here in the US. As stated above, the requirements on the website are stricter than those actually required. You can do everything without having to go to a consulate. All documents can be printed from the Thai embassy website although it's not the least bit user friendly. You will need the following:1-a health certificate signed by your doctor that you can download from the website 2-a criminal records check. I can now do this online in minutes here in Pennsylvania but it varies from state to state and 3-I send them my income and investment statements each time. 

In my experience it's easy to get approved for the 1 year visa especially if it's already been approved before. They put a 10 baht stamp in your passport, charge you $200 for the privilege and send it back to you with a week or so in the stamped self addressed envelope that you enclosed in the application. 

Good luck

Seems like alot of bother if you are staying less than 90 days. Just keep it simple, 60 day Tourist Visa, then extend for 30 days at Jomtien Immigration.

I agree. Sounds like a lot of work if I don;t intend to actually stay a year. I guess tourist extension it is.

Archived