IGNORED

Tourist Visa and Double Entry Visa

irig0ld

Hi there guys,

A visa question here.

I'm from the Netherlands and I'm planning to stay in Thailand (Bangkok) for at least 3/4 months, but before I stay there (myself) I'm planning to take a little trip around Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines and Bali with my cousin. 

The plan is to also go to Thailand with him on that trip for about a month either at the start of our trip or the ending. Here's where I'm getting confused about the visa. I was planning to get a double entry visa that would allow me to stay there for 4 months (when my cousin leaves). Then there's the month that I want to travel around Thailand with my cousin, a tourist visa of 30 days would be perfect since we were planning to travel Thailand together for 4 weeks. Is it possible to get a tourist visa for a month and not use the double entry visa until I return from traveling Asia? I don't really want to stay a month in Thailand using my double entry and then leave on the first entry with a month left still.

What do you guys think? Any recommendations/suggestions? Is it possible to get the double entry visa, but use a tourist visa first?

Thanks in advance!

If you have a visa in your passport you must use it. You can not get a 30 day visa waiver stay with a valid tourist visa in your passport. I would suggest getting a triple entry tourist visa.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

If you have a visa in your passport you must use it. You can not get a 30 day visa waiver stay with a valid tourist visa in your passport. I would suggest getting a triple entry tourist visa.

Thanks for the response!

I was thinking that as well, but is the triple entry going to be hard to get? compared to the other two?

Thanks for the response!

I was thinking that as well, but is the triple entry going to be hard to get? compared to the other two?

It's best to check with your local consulate. Some consulates have lower requirements than others.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

Thanks for the response!

if your entire stay is 3/4 months you would only need a double entry each one giving 60 days.

even if you were going to be slightly over you could extend one at an immigration office by another 30 for 1900 bht

It's best to check with your local consulate. Some consulates have lower requirements than others.

Will do, thanks

if your entire stay is 3/4 months you would only need a double entry each one giving 60 days.

even if you were going to be slightly over you could extend one at an immigration office by another 30 for 1900 bht

I understand, but since we're probably going to TL first, I'm going to be sacrificing one month of the first entry, so I'd need two more after that to cover the 3/4 months. 

As striderman said you can extend each entry of a tourist visa 30 days at the immigration office for 1900 baht. So you can make the second entry good for 90 days total. That will cover you unless your second entry is longer than 90 days.

If you are going to visit a city in one of the other countries you mentioned for a few days that has a Thai embassy you could possibly could get a visa there. I think the embassy in Vientiane has a pretty good reputation if things haven't changed. But lots of Thai consulates require that you show proof that you are leaving Thailand after the first entry expires. So you might need a plane/bus ticket showing you are leaving the country. In case you don't know no matter how you do it you will have to leave Thailand after 90 days at the longest and re-enter the country to stay longer. A double entry tourist visa doesn't let you stay in Thailand for 120 days. You will have to exit after 60/90 days and re-enter.

You can try for a triple entry but again you might have to show proof that you will be leaving Thailand twice. Contact your closest Thai consulate and see what they say.

As striderman said you can extend each entry of a tourist visa 30 days at the immigration office for 1900 baht. So you can make the second entry good for 90 days total.

I understand that the OPs first language is not English. This make his post not so easy to understand. He is planning to first come to Thailand for about 30 days. He then plans to travel elsewhere in Asia before returning for 3-4 months. Given this a double entry tourist visa is probably not enough.

As striderman said you can extend each entry of a tourist visa 30 days at the immigration office for 1900 baht. So you can make the second entry good for 90 days total. That will cover you unless your second entry is longer than 90 days.

If you are going to visit a city in one of the other countries you mentioned for a few days that has a Thai embassy you could possible could get a visa there. But lots of Thai consulates require that you show proof that you are leaving Thailand after the first entry expires. So you might need a plane/bus ticket showing you are leaving the country. In case you don't know no matter how you do it you will have to leave Thailand after 90 days at the longest and re-enter the country to stay longer. A double entry tourist visa doesn't let you stay in Thailand for 120 days. You will have to exit after 60/90 days and re-enter.

Yeah I was aware of that!

The option you mention to get a visa in one of the other countries sounds interesting though. However it also sounds like it could be a hassle, maybe a communication barrier, who knows. Also here in the Netherlands I believe they keep your passport for a few days, not sure if I feel too comfortable doing that in Laos or Cambodia. Do you have experience getting a visa in one of the other countries?

Do you think they will require proof of me leaving after 2nd and 3rd entry as well?

I understand that the OPs first language is not English. This make his post not so easy to understand. He is planning to first come to Thailand for about 30 days. He then plans to travel elsewhere in Asia before returning for 3-4 months. Given this a double entry tourist visa is probably not enough.

Haha, I can see the post being somewhat confusing yeah, my bad! But yes, that's indeed the course of action.

I understood his plans. But if he only stays in Thailand for ~3 months then he can get 90 days with his second entry extended at immigration and get within a day of two of three months. However one should remember 90 days only equals 89 nights. They count the day you arrive and the day you leave. 

My local consulate requires proof (airline ticket, etc) that I will exit Thailand between the use of my 1st and 2nd tourist visa entry. Some consulates require less and some require more. That is why I suggest you contact the consulate in your home country and ask what they want for a multiple entry tourist visa. 

I have gotten a single entry tourist visa in Phnom Penh but from time to time I hear a double entry can be hard to get there. I usually hear it is easier to get a double in Vientiane. But you have to avoid weekends,Thai holidays and maybe holidays in the country where the embassy is located. There are probably other threads on this board about this subject. The thaivisa.com forum can also be a good place to check up on the latest info. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/

One other possibility, extend your 2nd entry so you get 90 days. Then re-enter Thailand by air and get a 30 entry stamp. This will get you 120 days with one exit that you will have to make anyway. You can re-enter by land (visa run) but I think you only get 15 more days. So an overland entry would get you 105 days if you go on the last day your visa is good.

I understood his plans. But if he only stays in Thailand for ~3 months then he can get 90 days with his second entry extended at immigration and get within a day of two of three months. However one should remember 90 days only equals 89 nights. They count the day you arrive and the day you leave. 

My local consulate requires proof (airline ticket, etc) that I will exit Thailand between the use of my 1st and 2nd tourist visa entry. Some consulates require less and some require more. That is why I suggest you contact the consulate in your home country and ask what they want for a multiple entry tourist visa. 

I have gotten a single entry tourist visa in Phnom Penh but from time to time I hear a double entry can be hard to get there. I usually hear it is easier to get a double in Vientiane. But you have to avoid weekends,Thai holidays and maybe holidays in the country where the embassy is located. There are probably other threads on this board about this subject. The thaivisa.com forum can also be a good place to check up on the latest info. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/

One other possibility, extend your 2nd entry so you get 90 days. Then re-enter Thailand by air and get a 30 entry stamp. This will get you 120 days with one exit that you will have to make anyway. You can re-enter by land (visa run) but I think you only get 15 more days. So an overland entry would get you 105 days if you go on the last day your visa is good.

Ah, I see! I will definitely contact the consulate here asap then.

The last option sounds interesting as well. 

Say my double or triple entry visa is all used up after 4/6 months, will I be able to do the additional three 30day tourist visa runs that I believe are allowed 3x per 6 months?

Ah, I see! I will definitely contact the consulate here asap then.

The last option sounds interesting as well. 

Say my double or triple entry visa is all used up after 4/6 months, will I be able to do the additional three 30day tourist visa runs that I believe are allowed 3x per 6 months?

You seem to be thinking that you will be staying longer then 4 months. How old are you? If you are 50 or over a multiple entry retirement visa will be a better option.

If you have two entries left on a tourist visa you could stay for up to 120 days with one exit. Try your best to get a triple entry tourist visa at home as it will simplify things. Keep in mind that these visas are valid for 6 months (you can enter any time before it expires and still be given 60 days on arrival).

The Thai government has been cracking down on doing multiple 30 day entries in a row. So I don't think the 3x in 6 months is a sure thing anymore. They are concerned that people are staying in country for long periods to work without a work permit. And it's a pain in the ass and expensive to leave and return to Thailand via air every 30 days. I believe you will only get 30 days if you enter Thailand via air. Otherwise you will only get 15 days at an overland crossing unless you have a visa. But as the previous poster mentioned now you seem to be saying you will be staying longer than four months. So I think I will get out of the advise business until you actually figure out what you want to do. You pretty much have all the info you need for a 4 month trip and maybe longer.

The Thai government has been cracking down on doing multiple 30 day entries in a row. So I don't think the 3x in 6 months is a sure thing anymore. They are concerned that people are staying in country for long periods to work without a work permit. And it's a pain in the ass and expensive to leave and return to Thailand via air every 30 days. I believe you will only get 30 days if you enter Thailand via air. Otherwise you will only get 15 days at an overland crossing unless you have a visa. But as the previous poster mentioned now you seem to be saying you will be staying longer than four months. So I think I will get out of the advise business until you actually figure out what you want to do. You pretty much have all the info you need for a 4 month trip and maybe longer.

Thanks for all the info man!

You seem to be thinking that you will be staying longer then 4 months. How old are you? If you are 50 or over a multiple entry retirement visa will be a better option.

If you have two entries left on a tourist visa you could stay for up to 120 days with one exit. Try your best to get a triple entry tourist visa at home as it will simplify things. Keep in mind that these visas are valid for 6 months (you can enter any time before it expires and still be given 60 days on arrival).

Well the thing is I initially plan to stay about 4 months yes, but I have no specifics yet. If it was possible I'd even stay for a year, but finances and obligations at home are a factor. I have a good idea now about the possibilities to stay for around 4 months. It could be that after the 4 months I'd want to stay longer, which is why I'm asking you guys about it, just in case. I guess after my visa is all used up I could go to Vientiane to get another entry.

A retirement visa would definitely not apply to me yet, I'm 23.

Archived