IGNORED

Copy DVDs on Blue Ray players Warning âš 

Shaygate

A word of warning or at least caution for those of you, like me, who have collections of copied DVDs bought in Thailand.

I recently upgraded my Blu Ray player so I could take advantage of the internet capabilities in a new machine. Like all Blu Ray players the machine is quite happy playing Blu Ray discs or standard DVDs with the added bonus of up-scaling the standard DVD to 1080p but there is a problem.

A couple of nights ago I settled down to watch one of my recent acquisitions from Tuk.com, the film was good quality and all was well until about 20 minutes into the film when the sound went off, the film paused and a message appeared on the screen saying that this was not a genuine disc and that for further information I should go to http://www.cinavia.com/

After some googling and looking around the internet it turns out that Cinava protection is a particularly persistent bit of anti piracy software that is embedded in the audio tracks of DVDs and can survive copying and other attempts to remove it. Its particularly annoying as its lets the film run for a while before popping up, typically just as you are really getting into the film.

Since 2012 all Blu Ray players have had to install the necessary hardware / software to work with Cinavia presumably this has been a licensing requirement.

Fortunately this protection only works with Blu Ray players, older or standard players are not affected so I have had to buy a standard DVD player (fortunately still up-scaling) to play the copy discs in my collection.

So just be aware of this if you are thinking of upgrading your old machine or upgrading to Blu Ray, you may find a lot of your collection is no longer playable.

Avoid bluray players and get a cube computer instead.

Plays everything, has internet, and can do much more.

Sony player ?

Pc all the way dont waste moeney on shit you can download for the price of a monthly internet connection

Sony player ?

No it is a Panasonic player coupled to a Panasonic tv and an Onkyo AV amplifier

Panasonic are cunt holes with cinavia also an old dvd play i had locked a disc up for over 12 months due to copyright protection, throw together a cheap pc with a blueray drive or just download 1080p rips and forget about the blurays and dvds, will save you bundles

Pc all the way dont waste moeney on shit you can download for the price of a monthly internet connection

Unfortunately if everyone did this there would be nothing produced to download.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Panasonic are cunt holes with cinavia also an old dvd play i had locked a disc up for over 12 months due to copyright protection, throw together a cheap pc with a blueray drive or just download 1080p rips and forget about the blurays and dvds, will save you bundles

Not really practicable with my set up as all the audio and video feeds are fed through my AV amp and then decoded or converted to surround sound. And of course I probably have around 100 or more DVDs from Thailand in my collection.

The standard dvd player I bought is plugged in a spare port on the amp and only cost me £15 (750baht) so it works ok for me.

Purchasing knock off dvd's is just as harmful to the industry, if your going to do it you may as well do it in the cheapest possible way

Not really practicable with my set up as all the audio and video feeds are fed through my AV amp and then decoded or converted to surround sound. And of course I probably have around 100 or more DVDs from Thailand in my collection.

The standard dvd player I bought is plugged in a spare port on the amp and only cost me £15 (750baht) so it works ok for me.

Rip all your dvd's onto a massive hdd, sell the amp and get a decent surround set up with a pc the money you would make off your amp would likely buy a large percentage of your new gear, i run everything through a pc no dvd player no stereo just a nice four hundred dollar pc with a logitech surround set up

Usually the 1000 Bht nameless DVD players don't give these problems .   

Not really practicable with my set up as all the audio and video feeds are fed through my AV amp and then decoded or converted to surround sound. ................................

Any reason you couldn't stick a Soundblaster Z Audio card in your PC and feed from that into your AV amp?

Yes downloading pirate software, films etc is a strange phenomena in that while it is no different to shop lifting or any other sort of theft the most prevalent offenders see themselves as cleverer than the average consumer who purchases the legal item rather than a common criminal. 

This is not a new thing I am sure most of us remember pirate tapes (we could buy them from a local chip shop lol) or the list that would come around the office so you could buy the latest album at a fraction of the cost but the internet has created a source that even an 12 year old can down load anything they want.

There is going to be a cost somewhere as, as you correctly pointed out Scumbag when there is no income there will be no more product produced to download.

There are a lot of on going court proceeding from the big movie and music producers to force ISP's to monitor and block content and the day will come when downloading copyright martial will be a thing of the past so enjoy your crime spree while you can????????????????

Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde (16 October 1854 – 30 November 1900)
“I can resist everything except temptationâ€

To be born an Englishman is to win the lottery of life

Yes downloading pirate software, films etc is a strange phenomena in that while it is no different to shop lifting or any other sort of theft the most prevalent offenders see themselves as cleverer than the average consumer who purchases the legal item rather than a common criminal. 

This is not a new thing I am sure most of us remember pirate tapes (we could buy them from a local chip shop lol) or the list that would come around the office so you could buy the latest album at a fraction of the cost but the internet has created a source that even an 12 year old can down load anything they want.

There is going to be a cost somewhere as, as you correctly pointed out Scumbag when there is no income there will be no more product produced to download.

There are a lot of on going court proceeding from the big movie and music producers to force ISP's to monitor and block content and the day will come when downloading copyright martial will be a thing of the past so enjoy your crime spree while you can????????????????

Just like actions all have an equal and opposite so do programs it will be quite some time before free media becomes a thing of the past

Just like actions all have an equal and opposite so do programs it will be quite some time before free media becomes a thing of the past

Free media a bit of a stretch mate!  Not that I have a dog in this fight, but call it what it is! Theft!

The technology to do this already exists, in fact it has existed for years the reason for the court cases is that the produces want the ISP's to bear the cost which would not only be astronomical but unless all ISP's adopted it the consumers would move to other providers who were not blocking content.

There will always be exceptions, counties such as China will not enforce laws that are not in their interests but for most if not all western counties it is a case of when not if.

Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde (16 October 1854 – 30 November 1900)
“I can resist everything except temptationâ€

To be born an Englishman is to win the lottery of life

I have encountered the cinavia problem before, i either rip it / convert it to usb or dvd and play it on my xbox (no cinavia) or stream it to my smart tv.

I have no argument here i was just trying to help a fellow member save a few dollars and eliminate a piracy software issue, if you disagree with piracy so be it personally i couldnt give a shit

You should look at the PC option, specifically an HTPC. Can be integrated with your current hardware (amp etc). So as not to turn your hard copys into coasters, install a BR player and bobs your uncle.

Used to stream PC to PS3, would come across cinavia encoded movies every now and then.

It always fascinates people's views on different matters, especially considering were on a mongering board. Me personally, I have no qualms with the way in which I obtain my media.

I have a BR payer that has a USB port. I have never had any issues playing any file formats the the player recognises through it.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

just disable Cinavia, easy as ....

Developers have created firmwares for Panasonic Blu-ray players that make them Cinavia free. The firmware also allows you to freely switch regions deactivates DVD UOP (User operation prohibition) and  Blu-Ray PUO (Protected user operation). On some models it will also add high clarity sound, multichannel audio reformatting, advanced video status information and PAL support for non-PAL models.

On the website firmwareinfo.com there’s a full list of supported models and supported features for each model. The post is already fairly old by was reported today by our forum administrator alan1476 who thought this might be useful for some. The firmware solution might be an easy fix for those who want to get rid of Cinavia on their Panasonic Blu-ray player without having to buy software to remove the Cinavia signal from movies.

if you let me know your model number I'll send you the firmware zip file or send me PM upto you

Archived