IGNORED

Tapatalk shows adverts in forum listings

DaffyDuck

This may or may not be intentional - but new versions of Tapatalk now show adverts that look like forum posts.

The latest updates to the plugin default to showing such adverts - you may or may not be aware of that.

- if not intentional, make sure you have registered your paypal address with the plugin, so you get paid -- or, disable it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Adverts have now started to show in EVERY SINGLE FORUM THREAD.

I'm going to assume that this isn't intentional and that this is just another Tapatalk overreach. Subsequently, I'm just going to start forcing the ad blocker on my iPad connections, and thus suppressing ALL advertisements of the forum, until we know more about this.

Judging by the uproar amongst Tapatalk users, this is another Tapatalk overreach, and isn't benefitting Pattaya-Addicts financially (on Tapatalk) so I have no issue turning off the advertising spigot through blocking all adverts.

I guess I must be using an old version. I can't see any of these ads anywhere

I'm going to assume that this isn't intentional and that this is just another Tapatalk overreach. Subsequently, I'm just going to start forcing the ad blocker on my iPad connections, and thus suppressing ALL advertisements of the forum, until we know more about this.

Judging by the uproar amongst Tapatalk users, this is another Tapatalk overreach, and isn't benefitting Pattaya-Addicts financially (on Tapatalk) so I have no issue turning off the advertising spigot through blocking all adverts.

What are you using to block ads? I proxy everything just to break the connections to my location, but if there's a adblocker for the iPad native browser, I'd love to hear about it

tsec - probably using an old version. This happened right after the new version that was installed yesterday.

Woofie - Right now, I use Glimmerblocker and then proxy the connection to my iPad. Which works, as I have a Mac handy nearly everywhere where I use my iPad. I also use a separate iPad browser called "AdBlock' which blocks a vast majority of the ads on here as well, and you can customize it by adding additional blocks of adverts.

https://glimmerblocker.org

tsec - probably using an old version. This happened right after the new version that was installed yesterday.

Woofie - Right now, I use Glimmerblocker and then proxy the connection to my iPad. Which works, as I have a Mac handy nearly everywhere where I use my iPad. I also use a separate iPad browser called "AdBlock' which blocks a vast majority of the ads on here as well, and you can customize it by adding additional blocks of adverts.

https://glimmerblocker.org

I am just using my phones data at the minute so i guess the next time i connect to wifi this thing will update. Unless there is a way of stopping it.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

You can prevent updates by turning off auto updates. You can also revert to prior versions.

Do you mean auto updates in the app itself because I could not see an update setting within Tapatalk.

Or is there a setting within the android OS?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Autoupdate setting on the iPhone or iPad - SETTINGS --> iTUNES & APP STORE --> AUTOMATIC DOWNLOADS --> UPDATES (usually set to ON) - set it to OFF, but then you will have to manually manage all your software updates.

Just give Tapatalk a negative review on the App Store, and if enough others do that, they will revert to prior behavior in a subsequent update. Maybe.

Technically, this forum's system admin could turn these adverts off by logging into the Tapatalk control panel on their website, and setting adverts to OFF - but I guess folks are too busy these days.

I turned that setting off right away once I had noticed it, on the boards I admin. Takes about 5 minutes.

Autoupdate setting on the iPhone or iPad - SETTINGS --> iTUNES & APP STORE --> AUTOMATIC DOWNLOADS --> UPDATES (usually set to ON) - set it to OFF, but then you will have to manually manage all your software updates.

Just give Tapatalk a negative review on the App Store, and if enough others do that, they will revert to prior behavior in a subsequent update. Maybe.

Technically, this forum's system admin could turn these adverts off by logging into the Tapatalk control panel on their website, and setting adverts to OFF - but I guess folks are too busy these days.

I turned that setting off right away once I had noticed it, on the boards I admin. Takes about 5 minutes.

I take it there is a similar setting within the Android operating system?  I'll have a  look.

If it would be anywhere it would be in the Android OS's Application Manager settings. Here there are some rudimentary controls and some information on each app installed, but nothing that controls whether or not the app can update. I guess the only thing one can do is that when one gets a request to install the update when it is downloaded automatically, this request could then be rejected. The downside would be of course that you would probably get bugged every 24 hours to install this update (more like a downgrade, it would appear).

Not a concern on iOS. Turning auto-updates off simply means you have the check the updates section, and manually state which apps to update, and leaving the one in question untouched.

Seems easier on iOS.

So, is this intentional?

Since no one posted between this and OP, I assume you are referring to the ad between the two.

Admin here has already explained that one and it has nothing to do with plug-in software like TapaTalk.

I'm using the premium app - and it's why most other people are also complaining about the most recent Tapatalk updates.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432870394.414352.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1432870407.850204.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1432870421.317540.jpg

Again, this CAN be disabled by the admin, by logging into the Tapatalk website, and turning this off for his forum.

Since no one posted between this and OP, I assume you are referring to the ad between the two.

Admin here has already explained that one and it has nothing to do with plug-in software like TapaTalk.

is there a link to his answer?

If you have paid for the pro version of Tappatalk then you can upgrade to VIP customer by sending them your details and you receive the advert free version, which I have done.

Otherwise, you are using a free version of their software which is paid for by advertising.

See you at Le Pub, soi Diamond.

Le Pub Facebook Page

Le Pub YouTube Channel

Thank you.

https://blog.tapatalk.com/alphabet-soup-pro-vip-hd-and-you/

One of the most common questions we get is: What’s happening on my Pro version of the app? The first runner up common question is: How do I get VIP? Here’s an explainer:

Tapatalk Pro

Many moons ago, Tapatalk was a paid-only app. Download fees went toward the development of the app. This version of the app was called “Pro” and has since been retired.

The paid app business model had two big challenges. First, there was a concern expressed by many Forum Owners that views on Tapatalk took away views on their site, and therefore reduced advertising revenue. Second, most people are very hesitant to spend any money on a paid app. (We may spend $3.95 on a latte at Starbucks everyday, but invest $1.99 on an app we use everyday – no way!)

We needed to find a new model, and last year, in an effort to build the best app for like-minded and passionate enthusiasts, we made the app 100% free to everyone. We also introduced some display advertising, and share that revenue with Forum Owners.

tapatalk_logo_-_Google_Search.jpg

The evolution of Tapatalk app

Tapatalk Today

The app that you see in the App Store and Google Play is completely free. The ads that you see support both your favorite forums and the development of the app itself. That’s right: by viewing your favorite forums on Tapatalk, you are directly contributing cold, hard cash to your favorite forums. The more you browse, the more support you’ll give to your forums. This is a key facet of our business model that aligns Tapatalk’s interests along with those of our partner forums. The sky’s the limit!

VIP

VIP is how we reward our former Pro & HD users and thank them for their support. This special VIP status enables users to browse the app without ads.

VIP mode is meant for users who purchased Tapatalk Pro (released between July-2013 to Aug-2014), and Tapatalk HD (iOS) only. To see if you qualify and for more details, please visit our VIP support thread.

The forums you view as a VIP user still receive revenue from Tapatalk. When calculating the payment to Forum Owners, we count the ad impression from your browsing in the count of total ad impressions viewed on Tapatalk. Although we do not serve the ad, the forum is paid as if an ad were served.

As always, thanks for your continued support and Happy Tapatalking!

is there a link to his answer?

Read the first sentence of the ad and you will have your answer

pa_ad.png

(rolls eyes)

I'm talking about Tapatalk. Your pasting a picture from a web browser.

Entirely different issue. There's a reason the subject states "Tapatalk"

So, someone posts the actual answer and it gets violently yanked and deleted ???? WTF?

If something informative gets deleted, at the very least an explanation would be welcome and appreciated.

Archived