Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

What does this mean?

Scottish_Tyrant

Was speaking to the GF earlier, we always swap a few words to try and teach each other a bit more :P

I was doing my usual Bi ow gun teelac bla bla, she says - chaad marr? She tried to translate it with her dictionary but came out very bad base???

She is telling me to forget it as not a good phrase LOL. She knows she should never have said it as I will not drop it LOL :D

Best one so far I found, was I put in 'holy shit' and came back with ship hi la (on Thai-language.com). She went crazy LOL I presume as it is 'holy' it must translate to something like buddha is shit or something. So I can understand why thats not a good one to speak :)

Any help is appreciated. I must visit these threads more often, some damn good stuff on this part of the board :)

Wha's like us?

chat mak

same as your very good at thai and you know alot.

Saying ba ow gan ba with a girl, always gets that sort of responce

Ah ok thanks mate, thought it was bad LOL :rolleyes:

May not be bad but its kii gong :rolleyes:

Wha's like us?

WHats Ki Gong

Ki Gong means a person prone to cheating, a cheat.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Ki Gong means a person prone to cheating, a cheat.

That raises a question, I've always thought as Kee Gong meaning someone that cheats money out of someone, the perfect example is raising prices for farang, i.e asking a farang who arrives at the airport, for 1000 baht for a 20 minute drive.

But can you use it jokingly for someone cheating a fun (non money) game?

That raises a question, I've always thought as Kee Gong meaning someone that cheats money out of someone, the perfect example is raising prices for farang, i.e asking a farang who arrives at the airport, for 1000 baht for a 20 minute drive.

There's no doubt that it is regarded as a negative thing to call somebody. My experience is that you have to be a lot more careful when joking with Thais by attaching negative titles to them. I cam remember once jokingly trying to call a TG mischievous, which in English isn't necessarily an insult. No matter what translation I used she denied it as if her life depended on it. I've had them laugh by calling the Kii kiat (lazy) or kii luum (forgetful) as well as Kii kong (cheat).

I would say yes you can use it as a joke as long as you know the person and the context is clear, but there is more scope for misunderstandings as the meanings of these words can be stronger than the English equivalents.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Yes you can no problem! :Hair_Out1:

When playing connect4 with the bargirls and winning they always tell me that I'm "Kee Gong"! :Bravo1:

Plahgat

When no money... she no give honey! 

the same words in a different situation, can have total different effects.

joking with a girl, phuut lehn, playing with the words, is one thing,

but say it to a thai man in a stressfull situation can cause a lot of trouble

'chaad marr' also sounds similar to 'chart naa' which means 'in the next life!'. A wee bit of sarcasm on her part?

Be scene and not herd.

Be careful with Kee Gong, make sure it's very lighthearted.

I really pissed the wife off with this one, one day.