IGNORED

Identification whilst in Phuket

BritAsian

Hey guys,

Just wanted to know what is the best identification to have on hand when either riding a motorbike or out drinking/at a club?

I was thinking of having my driving licence on hand as well as a photocopy of my passport photo page and the page showing my Thai visa stamp on arrival. Do you think that will suffice? I really don't want to be carrying my passport when out and about as most often then not i'll be drinking lol. 

Any info will be appreciated.

AJ

carry your licence when riding a motorbike 500 bht fine ! as for a copy of your passport never been asked enjoy your holliday phukets pretty chilled out

Thanks for the info ozz1. Appreciate it. Will be going to Bangkok and Pattaya first and then chilling out in Phuket :-)

The recommended minimum is to have a photo copy of your passport identification page as well as the page with the entry stamp.  I have heard some people just using their phone and taking a picture of the aforementioned pages.  Myself.. I only carried my drivers license and my amex card.

Kurt

--- Is it in yet?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Just wanted to know what is the best identification to have on hand when either riding a motorbike or out drinking/at a club?

I was thinking of having my driving licence on hand as well as a photocopy of my passport photo page and the page showing my Thai visa stamp on arrival. Do you think that will suffice? I really don't want to be carrying my passport when out and about as most often then not i'll be drinking lol. 

Any info will be appreciated.

AJ

You've got it. Driving Licence….. and an International Driving Permit, to be sure. Legally required, but seldom asked for. A signed copy of your passport and visa. Wear a helmet…. and you should be fine…….

Do like the locals do and drive on past a police checkpoint, if you dare….. I usually do, and give them a wave. It is only people without a helmet and / or licence who need to obligingly stop and cough up the fine. Otherwise why waste your time and theirs. 

In more than ten years in Phuket I have not had a ticket (or an accident for that matter), though it is a pretty wild place to ride. You cannot relax a moment.

Archived