IGNORED

Small translation Thai -> English

Sofa King High

จะมาไทยหรือยัง? สไกป์ได้แล้วนะ.. 55

I don't understand this because to me หรือยัง means have you done (something) yet/already, yet the sentence starts with จะ..

Second sentence สไกป์ = Skype but ได้แล้ว throws me off... Never seen these together.

Context being, it's my friend from Bangkok that used to Skype with me to help practice Thai.

Thailand is it? Skype is now .. 55

I don't understand this because to me หรือยัง means have you done (something) yet/already, yet the sentence starts with จะ..

Second sentence สไกป์ = Skype but ได้แล้ว throws me off... Never seen these together.

Context being, it's my friend from Bangkok that used to Skype with me to help practice Thai.

My translator site has it as meaning 'or not yet'?

Making the sentence mean 'will come to Thailand or not yet, Skype can after that' But translator can sometimes make jibberish out of things!

Bill

Thanks guys. Translator won't really get you anywhere if you're translating full sentences.

@ BB rue yang is 'have you done something yet' ie many thai people will ask you 'gin khao rue yang' or 'have you eaten yet' a pleasantry much like the English 'how are you'.

I know all the words individually, but together they throw me off!

I see Slick reading this, so I suspect the answer will arrive shortly 555 :D

My translator says 'reu yang' is 'or not yet'?

The translator I use is quite good, but you do sometimes get sentences that it cant understand!

http://www.thai2english.com/

Bill

555 I think I should start reading posts anonymously :D

As with so many things in Thai, it all depends on the context.

จะ is not just for the future tense, it can also be used to make the sentence hypothetical or more uncertain (which is also what the future basically is).

So in your sentence it probably emphasizes the fact that your friend isn't sure if you're in Thailand already or not yet.

For ได้แล้ว, I would just say "then we can Skype now/already"

ขออภัยในความไม่สะดวก กูเกิลทรานสเลทไม่สามารถแปลข้อมูลนี้ได้ 

555 I think I should start reading posts anonymously :D

As with so many things in Thai, it all depends on the context.

จะ is not just for the future tense, it can also be used to make the sentence hypothetical or more uncertain (which is also what the future basically is).

So in your sentence it probably emphasizes the fact that your friend isn't sure if you're in Thailand already or not yet.

For ได้แล้ว, I would just say "then we can Skype now/already"

My hero! Thank you sir.

Now that I think about it, she knows that I am not in Thailand now, but planning to relocate. May have meant "are you still coming to Thailand and if so we can resume Skype until then."

So often I don't understand why 'laew' is placed in a particular context!  :Think1:

Thanks again, bud.

Have a good one

My translator says 'reu yang' is 'or not yet'?

The translator I use is quite good, but you do sometimes get sentences that it cant understand!

http://www.thai2english.com/

Bill

I guess we are saying the same thing really. I used Thai2English a lot too for single word translations. Thai-language.com is also good when thai2english doesn't have the word and/or when you need example sentences to illustrate the context.

เห่ย 

จะมาไทยหรือยัง? Are you going to come to Thailand yet? (It sounds like she's waiting for you)

สไกป์ได้แล้วนะ That's a hint to use Skype already, as soon as you have a chance. 

Change the first word into "wake up" and you get: 

ตื่นได้แล้วนะ = please wake up already!

เห่ย 

จะมาไทยหรือยัง? Are you going to come to Thailand yet? (It sounds like she's waiting for you)

สไกป์ได้แล้วนะ That's a hint to use Skype already, as soon as you have a chance. 

Change the first word into "wake up" and you get: 

ตื่นได้แล้วนะ = please wake up already!

Thanks man, sounds good given the context!

Without telling her the context, my TGF confirms that the first part is asking you if you are in Thailand now, and the second is suggesting to use Skype now.

Archived