IGNORED

Need help with a few phrases

Zak Ozbourne

Hey guys,

I started a project a little while before my trip in October as a little quick guide for my friends and anyone who was asking

"Zach how do you say this in Thai", Assuming i can actually speak it

Anyway, its turned into a bit of a labor of love these days and i want to make sure i am getting all the phrases right before i start giving it to people.

Can you please have a look at http://tropicphoto.com.au/tropicphoto/thaiphrases/ there is:

English - The Phrase/Word in English

Thai - The Phrase/Word in Thai
Phonetic - The Phrase/Word written phonetically (or as close to)

and a Listen button - You can listen to a Google Translate sound bite

All my research has been done through what I know or Google Translate so I'm sure some things might be wrong.

If you have any recommended changes or phrases please let me know here or PM them to me.

I'm still working on the pretty flashy version and will share it when its complete but in the mean time all help is muchly appreciated..

Zach

Winner Best Adult Web Developer at the Australian Adult Industry Awards 2022 and 2023

For a start, I assume you're a man and the target audience is men. So never use di chan. That's a female personal pronoun. Men use pom ผม. I never use chan either as that's male or female.

For "don't want" I use mai ow ไม่เอา. Tong karn ต้องการ does mean want but is generally only used in a positive context.

My advice is to never trust Google translate. Try this site. http://www.thai2english.com

It's only Thai to English and not vice-versa. But it shows you the many different translations for each word and you can choose the correct one from context. But Thai is an imprecise language.

this is excellent lads thanks heaps!!

it will be used by both males and females so the most gender neutral phrases are best.

ill make the changes soon :)

Winner Best Adult Web Developer at the Australian Adult Industry Awards 2022 and 2023

For Goodbye, I have never heard a Thai say laa kon (I prefer laa gawn)

Usually they say "Gup bahn laaow" or "Bpai ???? laaow"

"pang(paeng) mak" means very expensive

"paeng (mak) gehn bpai" means too expensive.

"mai torng karn" (mai dtong gahn) means no need

"Mai ow" means I don't want.

"No Chilli" Mai sai prik

Gai is closer for chicken, Kai means egg

"Do you have ??" Khun mee ?? mai?"

"Jup chun" is more like "grab mee" use "joop"

"Do you have a partner?" "Khun mee faen" is a statement, "You have a partner(lover, wife husband). Add mai? to make it a question

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

For Goodbye, I have never heard a Thai say laa kon (I prefer laa gawn)

La goon - Farewell, if you will not see them again in a long time.

Laeow jer gan - see you soon/later

Laeow koii gan - talk to you soon/later

Pop gan mai - till next time

Sawat dee krap - good bye, same word used for hello

Loong and Douchebag, do you have the Thai writings for the phrases you mentioned?

pang maak means very expensive, not too expensive.

You randomly add pronouns, sometimes you add chan, sometimes dichan, sometimes none. I would leave out the prefixing pronouns in the phrase list. The correct pronoun can be added by the speaker. Also, thais often leave out pronoun anyway, so.

You randomly add krap and ka. Just leave them out of the phrase list too, and encourage the speaker to add the correct particle. Sometimes you even add krap in the transcribed phrase, even if it's not in the thai script.

To know is roo. I have never heard about saap. But I think ทราบ would be traap, not saap.

In the thai script, you don't need to add the ?-question mark. ไหม is their question mark, so typing ไหม? is ??.

Good night - you transcribe it to ra tree saw wat, but according to the thai script, you have ra tree saw wat dee. AFAIK this is a very formular phrase that no one actually uses. You will get weird stares if you use it and perhaps a little laughter. It's much more casual to use fun dee, which means good/sweet dreams.

So my little project is an Android app with all those phrases.

You can have a look at it here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.snappyapps.tap2saythai

Please let me know if there are any changes I should make. 

ทราบ is the formal word for รู้ nobody would use ทราบ in general conversation. It is pronounced saab, in Thai ทร together more often then not pronounces the ซ sound.

e.g ทรง song (hairstyle)

Thanks will make the changes and push an update

ทราบ is the formal word for รู้ nobody would use ทราบ in general conversation. It is pronounced saab, in Thai ทร together more often then not pronounces the ซ sound.

e.g ทรง song (hairstyle)

So are you saying that "I dont know" would be more commonly said as ไม่รู้ or mai roo?

e.g ทรง song (hairstyle)

I've heard that in that could be described as "general conversation". This lady was interested in me but then found out that I wasn't available to she stated รับทราบว่าไม่ว่าง  and the meaning is not exactly the same as รู้ when you add more verbs to ทราบ.

Archived