Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Thai Tutor Available - Naklua, Pattaya, Jomtien

BaldPlumber

My Thai tutor is looking for more people wishing to learn to speak Thai on a 1:1 basis.

His name is Rex, he's 39 and went to university in Switzerland and worked in both the US and the UK. His English is just about perfect and  there are very few words that I have found he is unaware of.

I have been learning with Rex for about 2 months now for 2 hours per day, Monday - Friday and have found him to be 100% reliable, knowledgeable, patient and effective. He also has a pretty good sense of humour, especially when it comes to farang relationships with Thai women. When I was looking to start learning Thai my choices seemed to be joining a class, usually as part of an educational visa outfit or having an expensive 1:1 tutor, luckily, I found Rex and it turns out that he costs about the same as joining a class.

I told Rex that I was interested in learning decent quality conversational Thai to replace the odd phrases, expressions and words that we all learn from the bar and blurt out randomly and incomprehensively as far as most Thais are concerned.  I suppose that in the 2 months to date my Thai vocabulary has grown to about 1,000 words, but more importantly I have learnt to use these words in the right order, in sentence form using the right sense; past, present and future. At the moment our sessions are approximately 40% English and 60% Thai. This makes me still a Thai novice but I am able to confidently talk very simple Thai and be understood, well most of the time. I would expect to be reasonably fluent to an acceptable standard within 6 months from now. I should stress that I have absolutely no natural affinity for learning new languages.

So, as you can imagine, I can thoroughly recommend Rex and think he is very good value for money. So, whether you want a few hours tuition or a more regular arrangement, he should be able to accommodate you.

If anyone wants to talk to Rex about tuition, just PM me and I'll make sure that you both have each other's contact details

What does he charge per hour?  Otherwise, it's a bit difficult to determine if he represents good value.

What does he charge per hour?  Otherwise, it's a bit difficult to determine if he represents good value.

How much per hour please?

OK, this is the obvious question.

Unfortunately I can't answer it as I suppose its going to depend on where you live, how many hours you want and to an extent, what level you are at already. 

All I can really say is, get in touch and work out a rate. As to what I pay, I hate to be cryptic but I pay less for a months tuition @ 2 hours per day than many here would spend on a night out.

I know you won't be ripped off though.

HTH

Unfortunately I can't answer it as I suppose its going to depend on where you live, how many hours you want and to an extent, what level you are at already. 

All I can really say is, get in touch and work out a rate. As to what I pay, I hate to be cryptic but I pay less for a months tuition @ 2 hours per day than many here would spend on a night out.

HTH

That's a worry I can fly through 15,000 bht a night. on drinks alone.

HTH

OK ... I can go with that.  Is he a qualified language teacher, or just someone who happens to be bilingual?  If you don't want to post the info on the forum, can you send me a PM (including his contact details).  Thanks.

If he want customers, tell him to put up a basic website or FB page. I don't doubt that he is a cool dude and not too expensive. But I honestly don't see the selling point on why I would rather PM a guy on a monger board who knows someone and put me in contact with another dude that I can make a request for price and book private lessons from, rather than just go to any of the 30 language schools that has all neccessary info on their website.

OK ... I can go with that. Is he a qualified language teacher, or just someone who happens to be bilingual? If you don't want to post the info on the forum, can you send me a PM (including his contact details). Thanks.

PM sent

• 1 month later...

Yep. Oh and if I didn't reply previously, he is a qualified teacher in as much as he's done his TEFL stuff.

If he want customers, tell him to put up a basic website or FB page. I don't doubt that he is a cool dude and not too expensive. But I honestly don't see the selling point on why I would rather PM a guy on a monger board who knows someone and put me in contact with another dude that I can make a request for price and book private lessons from, rather than just go to any of the 30 language schools that has all neccessary info on their website.

My guess would be work permit and the trolls on here. Better to keep a lower profile and not discuss money. He can teach Thai to any friend he wishes but as soon as money is involved can be big pom pem!

My guess would be work permit and the trolls on here. Better to keep a lower profile and not discuss money. He can teach Thai to any friend he wishes but as soon as money is involved can be big pom pem!

If Rex is a thai guy, then he won't need any work permit.

Work permit is required for foreigners for doing any work, paid or unpaid, including charity and volunteer.

Yep. Oh and if I didn't reply previously, he is a qualified teacher in as much as he's done his TEFL stuff.

What exactly does done his "TEFL stuff" mean?  

If Rex is a thai guy, then he won't need any work permit.

Work permit is required for foreigners for doing any work, paid or unpaid, including charity and volunteer.

My bad, when mentioned he went to uni in Switzerland i thought he was a foreigner. Can't blame me too badly on that one, have never met a Thai guy name Rex :).

Being a Thai national he should then set up a blog and use this board and Facebook to drive people there. On the blog offer some free tutorials and a video so people can see his face and teaching style, will attract a lot more customers that way. Best of luck to him

Archived