IGNORED

Rifle Scopes

kayaker

I've noticed the name brand riflescope being sold in town. BSA among others.

Does anybody have any direct experience with how they perform after purchase?

I have no doubt that these are knock-off from the real brand, but since the originals are also made in China I just don't know what these are inferior products.

I do know a thing or two about rifle scope.

BSA scopes are at the very low end. I would not buy them at all!

And if these scopes you are talking about are a knock-off of them or what ever they are?

Then it is shit, and not worth a baht

What are you going to use a rifle scope for?

Target, hunting or both?

What kind of rifle do you use, and which caliber?

Im thinking about getting one for a 22mag. Back in the day I could put a whole magazin in a 1 inch square at 50 yards. Have not been able to do that for a while. Also the bullet drop compensation is a cool idea. After 135 yard thw bullets have spent their effective hunting energy but they are still predictable to about 150 yards. It would be nice to have fun with them hitting paper or metal out to that range

What kind of .22mag do you have?

I would try to get a used Leupold instead, Nikon have a few nice ones. Or a Vortex

Going to buy myself a CZ 452 American soon, since i sold my old one. I do not know wich scope i am going for

I shoot quite a bit and have several of the BSA scopes.  The above post about them being lower end is correct up to a point.  They have a rather soiled reputation due to a real lack of quality in the 2000 to around 2008 or 9 era.  The scopes lately have been much better. 

There are several levels of quality in the BSA line.  Stay away from the lower levels.  I use Catseye models and Contender models.  Good for many things.  There is also a "Sweet" series of scopes.  Unfortunately, they are much over rated.  The idea with this Sweet 17 or Sweet 22 versions is the one thing that the BSA scopes are NOT good at is following the adjustment knobs precisely and snapping to the adjustment as you turn it.  You may need to shoot one or two rounds to allow the crosshairs to settle in after you adjust it.  If you simply shoot targets for practice, this may not be an issue.  If you shoot in silhouette matches, where you have targets at 4 different ranges, it is a killer.  First shot is always off with this scope.

Much better optics clarity these days and generally worth the price paid.  Not as clear as a Leupold but at 1/4 the cost you would not expect it to be.

By the way, get more magnification power than you think you need.  After you do, you will see what I mean.  A 3to9X seems fine.  A 4to 16 or  even a 6 to 24 will be even better.  I own over 35 rimfire rifles and shoot at least 300 rounds a week in preparation for the matches I shoot.  I did start with BSA scopes, but now have been able to afford the better ones.  But I still have my BSA's and use them on some of the ones I take to the woods....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much for all the feedback on this. In the end I did not get a scope because I was a little paranoid about what I might end up with. You know the old saying about you get what you pay for.

You may need to shoot one or two rounds to allow the crosshairs to settle in after you adjust it.  If you simply shoot targets for practice, this may not be an issue.  If you shoot in silhouette matches, where you have targets at 4 different ranges, it is a killer.  First shot is always off with this scope.

I would never thrust a scope with this issues. I myself have 3 different brands, all of them top of the line. For each purpose (Hunting, longrange and benchrest)

Archived