IGNORED

Has anyone bought suitcases in the flea markets?

jamduf

Was thinking about buying a suitcase from one of those street side flea markets because mine has lived its life. Just seeing if anyone has bought before and their opinion. Junk or durable. The price is cheap but sometimes I get burnt buying the cheap stuff there.

Got mine from 2nd road near mikes mall, been good for 4 trips and looks like its got a few more left in it , good size solid case with 4 wheels for  1400baht, probably more expensive now but well worth the money

Was thinking about buying a suitcase from one of those street side flea markets because mine has lived its life. Just seeing if anyone has bought before and their opinion. Junk or durable. The price is cheap but sometimes I get burnt buying the cheap stuff there.

The wheels are the achilles here, check the quality of them and you should be ok

Excellent advice.

Like in life you get what you pay for buy cheap shit and it rarely will last nor look good compared to the proper stuff.

The exception of course is BJ they are all much the same it is the surroundings you pay a premium on :-)

Ghosty

It's more often that it depends on how the Cargo handlers handle your luggage that determines the life expectancy of your luggage rather than worrying about getting ripped off buying snide cases.

Junk! You pay for what you get so be prepared. :Grin3:

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a semi-hard side very large piece several years ago in Pattaya for 1600 baht.  It has lasted at least 6 trips back and forth from the USA.  The wheels are starting to wear a little and maybe the handle, but so far, still working.  the locks are still fine, but I think I will use a safety strap in the future for extra piece of mind. I feel I have gotten my money worth for sure. 

Bought one of the largest size soft samsonite ??? (Could be a counterfeit, who would know?) cases at MBK for about 75.

Been good for me at about half price.

I've got a Carlton hard case with 2 wheels, they cost about £50 in the UK (2500 baht). Had it for over 15 years, been all round the world, at least 6 long haul trips a year and countless short connecting flights, still going strong in spite of baggage handlers trying to wreck it!!

You get what you pay for IMO.

BTW, if cargo handlers do damage your case they will normally give you a similar one for free, just put in a claim before you leave the airport.

I've got a Carlton hard case with 2 wheels, they cost about £50 in the UK (2500 baht). Had it for over 15 years, been all round the world, at least 6 long haul trips a year and countless short connecting flights, still going strong in spite of baggage handlers trying to wreck it!!

You get what you pay for IMO.

BTW, if cargo handlers do damage your case they will normally give you a similar one for free, just put in a claim before you leave the airport.

Yeah same here,two wheeled carlton,think i`ve had mine about twenty years or so.Its battered and bruised and i was thinking of buying a new suitcase but it still does the job so why change,mines big green`un,i call it thunderbird 2  :WinkGrin1:

Got mine from 2nd road near mikes mall, been good for 4 trips and looks like its got a few more left in it , good size solid case with 4 wheels for  1400baht, probably more expensive now but well worth the money

mike's across the street from tims. tourists stuff them with all the cool they buy for the relatives back home. solid.  :GoldenSmile1: 

Like in life you get what you pay for buy cheap shit and it rarely will last nor look good compared to the proper stuff.

The exception of course is BJ they are all much the same it is the surroundings you pay a premium on :-)

Ghosty

Exactly, you can save money with a cheap (anything) but it just isn't the same quality as the real thing. Now I always spend the little extra up front for quality as it always lasts longer and therefore works out the same or cheaper in the end.

I have bought "cheap" backpacks before in thailand and the zippers after a month have always crapped out, which makes the backpack worthless. On the other hand, I have a good back pack from a hiking store and it has lasted me 10 years and counting.

Yeah same here,two wheeled carlton,think i`ve had mine about twenty years or so.Its battered and bruised and i was thinking of buying a new suitcase but it still does the job so why change,mines big green`un,i call it thunderbird 2  :WinkGrin1:

I was told theses cases are made out of the same stuff as car bumpers (fenders), dents just pop out and things bounce off, tough as sh*t.  Not sure if true, but seems to do the job.

you'll find out if any good after a few trips. if you socks come before the suitcase it was s*it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421782837&v=PgDizh4DMno&x-yt-cl=84359240&feature=player_embedded

Explains some of the scratches!!,

never broken open though - so far!!

I usually wrap any delicate itmes in some socks and T shirts - now I know why !

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

The "you get what you pay for" brigade are only partly right. It is true that if you pay 7,500THB (150GBP) you can purchase a good quality medium size Antler suitcase...this is likely to be robust and sturdy. A copy case can be had for under 1,500 THB, if you are choosy and test out what you are buying, you might find a copy which is equally robust. I bought an antler copy from the second rd complex other side from Mike Mall and I have used it for 2 years, no probs.

The "you get what you pay for" brigade are only partly right. It is true that if you pay 7,500THB (150GBP) you can purchase a good quality medium size Antler suitcase...this is likely to be robust and sturdy. A copy case can be had for under 1,500 THB, if you are choosy and test out what you are buying, you might find a copy which is equally robust. I bought an antler copy from the second rd complex other side from Mike Mall and I have used it for 2 years, no probs.
Agreed. 2 yrs you got your monies worth, anything more is profit. Yes we take a chance on the knockoffs as ive been burnt b4 in los. But as long as im hearing more good than bad i will take my chances.

Archived