IGNORED

photostating credit card

clubskala

Hi to all,

Just booking Areca Lodge for next trip.

They have asked for a deposit of 8000 baht for four of us, no problem with that.

But have also asked me to fax them a photostat copy of both sides of my credit card.

Anyone know if this is a common practice or should I be concerned?

Thanks Derek.

Derek

Its quite common here to ASK this BUT if I were you I would tell them you will agree to a "swipe" when you arrive. If they insist make sure you ink out the securoty number on the back.

Swiping a card on arrival is normal practice in hotels worldwide these days to prevent runners or non paid room service fees etc.

Ive never heard of it being requested before arrival so would urge caution.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

I think that it is probably OK. However I wouldn't do it as I have never heard of any business asking for this before. Also you don't know who will see those details.

You don't state when you are going. If it is low season you can safely wing it. During low season you can just rock up and be fairly confident that they will have vacant rooms. If not there will be plenty of other options.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Hi to all,

They have asked for a deposit of 8000 baht for four of us, no problem with that.

But have also asked me to fax them a photostat copy of both sides of my credit card.

Thanks Derek.

I'd tell them to forget about the deposit as well, I'd never pay in advance.

Just thought of something! Just to show the level of CC fraud in Thailand (and I think Asian in general) Thai Airways would not accept my CC for payment for a flight. The reason being that it was not me that was flying and I would not be accompanying the person on the flight.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Guest Qwert06
Just thought of something! Just to show the level of CC fraud in Thailand (and I think Asian in general) Thai Airways would not accept my CC for payment for a flight. The reason being that it was not me that was flying and I would not be accompanying the person on the flight.

Mate thats normal for a lot of airlines no matter what the route is.

• 4 weeks later...

Dynasty group of hotels want to get a night’s deposit through your credit card by fax or email if you are arriving late. Twice I have ended up canceling & they said no problem will cancel the deposit. Every time use my card there & always okay.

Never, ever use a credit card in Thailand

Why? Surely reputable places are okay like big hotels, supermarkets. Have also used at Bourbon Street.

you should be coverd for fraud on your account anyway who is the card with

A Thai girls arsehole is just like a 9 volt battery you know you shouldn't but sooner or later you will put your tounge in it

• 3 weeks later...

The areca do this first time u stay with them , after that they will just debit you card I have never had a problem with my card .

But areca at the moment has a building site at the back and its f*****g bang bang 24-7

And there making the hotel family friendly f*****g kids running around all over

Last time I was there I hade to refrain from f******g me birds over the balcony

Edited by sexy beast
naughty words

never really seen the need to book in advance unless you really really like one hotel.

I normally just wing it.

WHen i get bored move cities or hotels.

you pay about 10% more as no discounts but you get flexability and no fcking around with cards. Cash on the nose each day.

I definatly wouldn't fax your credit card.

I'm sure they reputable people and its all above board, but what happens with the photocopy? One dodgy member of staff, or someone bins it and you could be in all sorts of trouble.

Generally credit card fraud is picked up by the banks, but you don't want your card cleaned out and put on hold just before you arrive for holiday.

Hi to all,

Thanks Derek.

Don't even think about sending your credit card details to your mother. The Areca Lodge is a good place to stay but the staff member that requested your credit card details is totally out of order. Tell them so in an email. If they still insist find another place to stay. There is plenty of good accomodation in Pattaya, especially now in the low season.

Hi,

I've heard credit card fraud is very prevalent at the moment where somebody has the details of the card but it is not their card. Sending a photostat confirms you have the card in your possesion.

No man is a hero to his valet.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I always liked about Nana hotel is that you could book a first time without a CC. And now that Jaruwan knows me (she does all internet bookings) they don't even ask me for a credit card at check in. Their employes are a little old and grumpy, but they have been working that job for a long time and so its safe to pay by credit card. The hotels to not be trusted are the ones with high employee turnover.

I normally fly through Japan to get to Thailand. My credit card companies don't have a problem with Thailand but they tell me that I can almost forget about using my credit cards in Japan because of the problems there.

Edited by Short

They requested the same from me when I enquired about availability for my last trip. Once I queried the request, they backed down.

• 1 month later...

We always advise our CC company when we are travelling to Thailand , same same with Nationwide , No need to give your details to Areca , as far as airlines go , the new security rules mean that the CC payer Must be the lead passenger .

Liz

For the Kids Smiles

Pattaya Kids

If you check with your credit card issuer, you will find that if you send a full photostat of both sides of your card to another individual, you will have just invalidated your card insurance... DON'T DO IT...

Almost undoubtedly, you could book the same hotel through aisia rooms, or a similar site, and pay through their secure server...

Murg

"I have passed blamelessly through life doing nought but good deeds, and I am beloved by all whose path I have crossed. It is beyond comprehension that anyone could nurture in their hearts hostile feelings for me." Genevive Dieudonne. Vampire. ("Anno Dracula" by Kim Newman)

• 2 years later...

We always advise our CC company when we are travelling to Thailand , same same with Nationwide , No need to give your details to Areca , as far as airlines go , the new security rules mean that the CC payer Must be the lead passenger .

Liz

I've wondered about that. I've seen stories where credit cards were refused because the CC company put a hold on them if you weren't a common traveler to the LOS. That would be a pain in the ass. I've had my account locked a few times as the transaction put up a 'red flag'. Each transaction was mine, but I suppose it's a 'good thing' that they are trying to protect me.