IGNORED

Greg's Kitchen - Moving again

Had Christmas dinner here yesterday and noticed Greg's Kitchen now has posters in his restaurant announcing he is moving from his Drinking St location (and before that 2nd Road near Soi 6) to a new location in Naklua near Crystal Palace hotel, so well past the Wat.

Greg has always been known for quality food but has always been more expensive than his competitors; he still has a loyal customer base.

Apparently the move has been triggered by another greedy Chinese-Thai landlord (100% increase) and only a 1 year lease available.

NB - I have no connection with Greg's, just thought might be useful to some people.

g2 001.jpg

g1 001.jpg

Apparently the move has been triggered by another greedy Chinese-Thai landlord (100% increase) and only a 1 year lease available.

The landlord is just getting whatever he thinks the market will bear for his "product".  No different from Greg.  

Although a bit more expensive i have always had a great meal in gregs,however it will be way outa the way for me to go to now,hope it works out for him,he must be going for xpat trade

href="/monthly_10_2009/post-1-125681518559.png">post-1-125681518559.png

Dont believe every thing u hear at Gregs! He has been going to move for a year and a sign at his new location has been up for over 6 months! The landlord is Simon of Simon beer bar fame!

The problem with Greg is he chases the cheap rent but puts his prices up while the quality and quantity is reduced and expects his loyal customers to support him! It gets to a point that as a customer you start to think he is taking the piss. There are plenty if places in Pattaya who's rent is more expensive and their meals are better quality and less expensive, Greg has not changed with the times and depends in his regular holiday customers to support him.

His new location is worse than his current one, it would be like opening a Irish Pub in Little Italy and ther is noway is going to be competitive againt German quality and price.

The landlord is just getting whatever he thinks the market will bear for his "product".  

Many time the landlord has no idea what the market will bear and force businesses out of business due to high rents, short term leases and big key money.  They think that businesses will pay anything to be in business here.  What they do not understand is that a business with high overheads cannot compete, especially in a market where tourism is down and there really is no more high season.  Consumers are not going to pay any price to vacation / holiday in Pattaya.  

As far as having a restaurant here, which requires a significant capital investment, forget it if the landlord is unwilling to offer a lease for more than a year.  You may never recoup your investment if the landlord gets greedy.  I would guess that part of the problem with WS gogo prices is related to very, very high rents coupled with over the top fit and finish of the spaces.  Want to make money in business, keep overheads under control.

Many time the landlord has no idea what the market will bear and force businesses out of business due to high rents, short term leases and big key money. They think that businesses will pay anything to be in business here. What they do not understand is that a business with high overheads cannot compete, especially in a market where tourism is down and there really is no more high season. Consumers are not going to pay any price to vacation / holiday in Pattaya.

As far as having a restaurant here, which requires a significant capital investment, forget it if the landlord is unwilling to offer a lease for more than a year. You may never recoup your investment if the landlord gets greedy. I would guess that part of the problem with WS gogo prices is related to very, very high rents coupled with over the top fit and finish of the spaces. Want to make money in business, keep overheads under control.

As I have posted the landlord is Simon of Simon beer bar fame, I think he and his family know a few things about the business and a doubt that they would single Greg out or put up the rent for the whole Drinking Street complex! Simon's hotel down the back has had the same rate for 3 years!

Although a bit more expensive i have always had a great meal in gregs,however it will be way outa the way for me to go to now,hope it works out for him,he must be going for xpat trade

Looks like Sauerkraut on the menu then.

The landlord is just getting whatever he thinks the market will bear for his "product".  No different from Greg.  

What he,s thinking and what maybe "actual" in many cases are poles apart as we are entering a very low high season and many businesses will be hurting soon :SoWhat1:

He told me about the move a couple of months ago, also his new place has accommodation above so it will be his last move, hopefully .........

There are several empty premises in his current location, empty because the Chinese guy wants far too much rent for them, his place, when he moves in February will just be another one.

Any comment about the brain power of the landlord is obviously unnecessary .

Greg,s is not cheap but I think its worth the money and he is a very nice guy.

In the beginning was the word and the word was "In" :ThumbUp6:

He told me about the move a couple of months ago, also his new place has accommodation above so it will be his last move, hopefully .........

There are several empty premises in his current location, empty because the Chinese guy wants far too much rent for them, his place, when he moves in February will just be another one.

That may, or may not, be the case.  But it's no different from Greg overcharging for the food he serves.  He'll end up with empty tables 'cos folk think his scoff is expensive.  Pattaya landlords don't owe anyone any favours and most have been around a bit longer than Greg. 

What he,s thinking and what maybe "actual" in many cases are poles apart as we are entering a very low high season and many businesses will be hurting soon :SoWhat1:

You could say the same applies to someone who charges 150 Baht for a bowl of gaeng kiew wan gai.

Personally I think Gregs food is worth the price but that's because it tastes good, the vast majority of stuff he makes himself.

Always difficult with restaurants to compare food and cost, easy enough when 2 serve the same frozen chips and sausages from the same suppliers but at different prices.

I do though take your point

The only person the Landlord is penalizing is himself by gaining another empty premises making the other empty ones even more difficult to let.

I could understand the one year lease and price hike if it was a very popular location with all the other premises let, but it isn't and they are not - but hey....up to him.

A bit like the GGG who holds out for 5k and gets no takers, them moans about not having any customers or money except the landlord is probably loaded.

The only person the Landlord is penalizing is himself by gaining another empty premises making the other empty ones even more difficult to let.

I could understand the one year lease and price hike if it was a very popular location with all the other premises let, but it isn't and they are not - but hey....up to him.A bit like the GGG who holds out for 5k and gets no takers, them moans about not having any customers or money except the landlord is probably loaded.

I don't know why you think the landlord wants to "penalise" someone.  Maybe he wants rid of the tenants for very good commercial reasons.   Maybe he just got bored with Greg's incessant whining.   :Surrender1:  

Personally I think Gregs food is worth the price but that's because it tastes good, the vast majority of stuff he makes himself.

Always difficult with restaurants to compare food and cost, easy enough when 2 serve the same frozen chips and sausages from the same suppliers but at different prices.

I do though take your point

I could understand the one year lease and price hike if it was a very popular location with all the other premises let, but it isn't and they are not - but hey....up to him.

A bit like the GGG who holds out for 5k and gets no takers, them moans about not having any customers or money except the landlord is probably loaded.

I had been a big supporter of Greg until  about a year ago!  To be honest I got fed up with him blaming everybody else but himself!  His food is on par with Queen Vic and Tropical Berts (Have since moved) and his price is 25% higher, without the aircon and drama!  At least Bert had the business sense to move to the dark side with a large British expat community!  When Greg moved lasted time he was propped up $20000 by friends and customers, Greg has been here over 15 years time to take some responsibility for his own action and move on!

I don't know why you think the landlord wants to "penalise" someone.  Maybe he wants rid of the tenants for very good commercial reasons.   Maybe he just got bored with Greg's incessant whining.   :Surrender1:  

I used the word "penalize" as a counter balance to your previously say "don't owe anyone favours"

If he wanted the places empty he would not have offered to renew the lease.

I get the impression that you don't like Greg, if so that's fine, not an issue really but as the topic was about his business moving all I was doing was fleshing out the why.

I don't suppose you will be visiting either his existing or new premises and just like yourself there are places that I wont visit either because of pricing and or ownership/management.

Thankfully Pattaya has loads of options that's why we love it :GoldenSmile1:

I used the word "penalize" as a counter balance to your previously say "don't owe anyone favours"

If he wanted the places empty he would not have offered to renew the lease.

Have you ever spoken to the landlord about the situation?

I would encourage everyone to give Greg's a try. I don't think that it is expensive given that much of the food is homemade. Never had a bad meal there.

As far as his new location, it is not that out of the way surely to put off people who want quality. I walked from LK Empress to Nakula a few months ago to look at a condo there, and passed his new premises. But I do get the impression that walking or effort is something that many BM's don't do.

Back on point, you can't beat his Sunday Roast and homemade cheesecake, I for one will still visit.

i told greg about pattaya addicts when he told us about his move and to post something on here or get his son to do it as im not that good with computers....looks like you have done it for him as i know a few of his customers are on here

i remember when greg was down Soi 6 i think  the sportmans...the girls would see you go  in//wait for you to finish your food then grab you

had many a s/t. after my apple crumble..lol

As I have posted the landlord is Simon of Simon beer bar fame

Always thought Drinking Street and surrounds was owned by the last Mayor of Pattaya?

• 7 months later...

Went there last night and had the Roast lamb and Bread and butter pudding with ice cream to finish off.Bloody beautiful!

Sorry about some of the pictures rotated.They weren't like that in my pictures folder?

IMG_1149.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1153.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1157.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1159.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

i remember when greg was down soi 6 i think  the sportmans...the girls would see you go  in//wait for you to finish your food then grab you

had many a s/t. after my apple crumble..lol

Sportsmans Soi 6 was run by a different English man, his son still runs the Sportsmans on soi 13.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Archived