IGNORED

Yahoo has taken over all of my browsers on my laptop.......?

Vespa

Hi all,

I downloaded some softwear that allowed me to capture youtube video's and also downloaded AVG free. I didn't use the custom option when installing both. Now every browser has turned itself into yahoo browser. I've since deleted both, but is still yahoo taking over any browser. Its windows 8.1.

Please help!!

I had a similar problem not so long ago

Just google your  problem  with the name of the offending software and windows 8.1

you should get step by step guide on how to restore to your  normal settings 

And on the sixth day God Created Bobby Moore

Far from being an expert (!) but:

1. When downloading free software from CNET or elsewhere always choose the Custom option and untick boxes next to things you don't want as they often download other stuff if you don't tell them not to;

2. Go to Uninstall Programs and order them after most recent date first. Check if any programs were installed at the same time as those you were expecting and uninstall them as well;

3. Go to Internet Options in your browser, type in the URL you want as your Homepage and set it as such;

4. Sounds like Yahoo as been set as default search page as well so you'll need to set it back to Google or whatever. Sorry, don't use Windows 8 (tried it once and hated it!)so can't tell you how to do it!

Good luck!

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

hate it when that happens....before installing any new software I always create a restore point just incase it all goes wrong...be carefull with some antivirus as it deletes restore points....dreading ever having to use windows 8...good luck mate

Far from being an expert (!) but:

1. When downloading free software from CNET or elsewhere always choose the Custom option and untick boxes next to things you don't want as they often download other stuff if you don't tell them not to;

2. Go to Uninstall Programs and order them after most recent date first. Check if any programs were installed at the same time as those you were expecting and uninstall them as well;

3. Go to Internet Options in your browser, type in the URL you want as your Homepage and set it as such;

4. Sounds like Yahoo as been set as default search page as well so you'll need to set it back to Google or whatever. Sorry, don't use Windows 8 (tried it once and hated it!)so can't tell you how to do it!

Good luck!

Decent advice. Sounds like "sneak ware" that you installed which should be easy to uninstall.

My main general advice for the future would be to ditch free Antivirus and buy a decent one like Kaspersky. You can get a serial key on eBay for around $7.  Free antivirus is like using a brown paper bag as a condom !

Also make sure your windows updates are on and working !!

People could do worse than use a chromebook to surf the web. I know no safer way atm.

Decent advice. Sounds like "sneak ware" that you installed which should be easy to uninstall.

My main general advice for the future would be to ditch free Antivirus and buy a decent one like Kaspersky. You can get a serial key on eBay for around $7.  Free antivirus is like using a brown paper bag as a condom !

Also make sure your windows updates are on and working !!

People could do worse than use a chromebook to surf the web. I know no safer way atm.

That is the biggest load of crap I have ever read!

Paid AV can be just as rubbishy and in fact many are a LOT worse as they have to create a "perceived value" in a customers mind and many just generate false positives and are underperforming nag/bloatware that does very little!

It is Malware that has installed and commonly known as a Browser Hijack Object (BHO).

DL and install CCleaner then go to Tools and look for Yahoo and uninstall it (far better than MS Uninstall) and then run the Registry cleaner tool.

CCleaner

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ccleaner_slim.html

To get rid of this rubbish DL and install the following two applications and make them part of your weekly housekeeping routine to get rid of such rubbish:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/malwarebytes_anti_malware.html

SUPERAntiSpyware

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/superantispyware_free.html

That is the biggest load of crap I have ever read!

Paid AV can be just as rubbishy and in fact many are a LOT worse as they have to create a "perceived value" in a customers mind and many just generate false positives and are underperforming nag/bloatware that does very little!

And that's the biggest load of crap I have ever read from you too sir lol  ..

But then again wtf do I know  ... it's not like I'm qualified to give such advice :GoldenSmile1:

download and install herdprotect.

Do a scan of your pc and then take your time to clean out the unwanted items.

Take your time because you wil get a lot of additional information about what to delete or not.

I do a scan every week. It took me several scans to get my pc cleaned, but now,

it seems my pc is clean, Most of the times, nothing to find nomore.

www.herdprotect.com

NewGuy1967 gave some solid advice. install cccleaner, uninstall anything suspicious from the unisntaller, run a full scan rom malwarebytes to catch any malware.  Also check your browser settings and change the homepage defaults to your liking

Archived