IGNORED

Expensive Airlines

iluvasians/latins

Why are KLM, Lufthansa, British Airways so expensive from USA? Wanted to try different route from Houston in January. Silly prices.

That ain't it. Other airlines are $6-800 less.

I don;t think anybody understands the airline pricing structure.  Price can change by days of the week you leave and return, and days and times you book.

I've found this site useful http://www.farecompare.com/indexb.html?utm_expid=269851-9.F2GLOOUpRsSNBL-txaIeiQ.1#quote

The prime time to buy international fares is 4-6 months before departure, or last minute.

It all comes down to capacity. If the seats are full, prices will be high. Seats are usually full in the better airlines. The crappy US carriers are always needing to offer discounts to get butts in the seats.

I just did a quick check for a January departure. All pretty reasonable for high season and late booking.

Emirates = 1,168

Quatar = 1,044

BA = 1,151

Lufthansa = 1,102

American = 1,121

United = 1,116

Delta = 1,447

Buying airline tickets late with our European airlines is always horrible.

For instance, my $1800 business tickets ARN-BKK with BA (over Christmas/NY) were bought when they had a sale half a year back. If I bought them now, double the price is obvious, might even be three times the price if I wait enough.

That ain't it. Other airlines are $6-800 less.

Anything to do with specific airport taxes.

Could be any reason. If you can get it cheap, why worry about those airlines?

Anything to do with specific airport taxes.

Could be any reason. If you can get it cheap, why worry about those airlines?

Wanted to fly thru Europe. Never done that before. Always Narita, Seoul, or countries where they wash their feet in restroom sinks.

Wanted to fly thru Europe. Never done that before. Always Narita, Seoul, or countries where they wash their feet in restroom sinks.

you'd love qatar, dubai and doha then. Usually a stinky foot appears just when i'm brushing my teeth. I love cultural differences  :Puke2:

you'd love qatar, dubai and doha then. Usually a stinky foot appears just when i'm brushing my teeth. I love cultural differences :Puke2:

Been there, done that. That's what I was talking about. First time I saw that, I was half asleep. Seeing masses of feet in same sink woke me up.

I'm sure if you keep an eye out on skyscanner or kayak you will get as good deal.

Is there much difference in flight duration, going through Europe as opposed your normal route

US to Asia is largely considered a Pacific route although from NY to BKK it is six of one and half dozen of the other.

With most of the competition being transpacific that's where the best prices are found.

On the contrary try Los Angeles to Moscow; inexpensive over the Atlantic and cost prohibitive over the Pacific.

you'd love qatar, dubai and doha then. Usually a stinky foot appears just when i'm brushing my teeth. I love cultural differences  :Puke2:

Has no-one explained bidets to you?

Has no-one explained bidets to you?

i'm brushing my teeth, not my ass! .....but I like your multi-functional approach

There's your answer. Flying to SE Asia via Europe is more expensive than flying via far east Asia or the middle east.

Settled with United. Houston to SF, onto Hong Kong. Last leg to BKK on Cathay Pacific. Simple return from BKK to Narita on ANA. Onto Houston on United. 25 hours going. 19 hours on return.

All in $1090 for January 11th departure. Great price.

Settled with United. Houston to SF, onto Hong Kong. Last leg to BKK on Cathay Pacific. Simple return from BKK to Narita on ANA. Onto Houston on United. 25 hours going. 19 hours on return.

All in $1090 for January 11th departure. Great price.

Enjoy your trip. FWIW, I've done both and much prefer flying via Asia than Europe. I'm on the east coast and via Asia, my international legs are split 65/35 whereas going thru Europe, it's more 50/50. I like having that really long leg between the US and Asian connection city to get a good night's sleep between meals.

Have you considered Singapore Airlines from Houston? I've flown with them on their 777 out of Houston once to Singapore and then on to BKK with them. As others have said best to make reservations several months ahead. Warning:they do make connections in Moscow on that flight. Not the best airport but you're only on the ground for an hour. 

Archived