IGNORED

Travelling close to Passport expiry date

size13shoes

Hi All

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but here we go

Can a Thai person travel back to Thailand if their Thai passport expires nearly two months after they plan to travel back to Thailand or do they need to travel six months before it expires? Eg would like to plan their travel in early April 2015 and passport expires late May 2015.

Once in Thailand we would get it renewed.

My understanding is that we can go to Canberra or Sydney to renew the passport but I was hoping to save some money on flights, taxis and accommodation to do this.

In my state in Australia we get a chance to renew Thai passports once a year around June or July which is after the date we plan to travel.

I have just emailed the Thai Embassy and will give them a call next week but I thought someone may have experienced the same situation.

Cheers

I don't think the airline will even let you board if there's not at least 6 months left on the expire date .  

No problem travelling to Thailand just before a Thai passport expires. The 6 month validity rule is only for foreigners entering Thailand.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I don't think the airline will even let you board if there's not at least 6 months left on the expire date .  

If it was something other than a Thai passport you would be correct.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

You should be able to send the old one to Canberra by registered post with the application for a new one.

As much as I love all things Australian, I got to get me action of the asian persuasian.

No problem travelling to Thailand just before a Thai passport expires. The 6 month validity rule is only for foreigners entering Thailand.

What he said. The 6 month rule applies to non Thais entering Thailand.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

• 4 months later...

Hi All

Just an update for anyone interested or in the same situation.

Yes she was allowed to travel back to Thailand on her Thai passport which was close to the expiry date.

Arrived in Bangkok on the Wednesday afternoon, first thing Thursday morning went to apply to renew her passport and picked up the new passport the following Monday morning.

I was very surprised how quick it was to renew and receive the new passport.

So it’s all smiles again.

Archived