IGNORED

Question about Thai language

For those of you who are pretty handy with speaking Thai, I am trying to teach myself some basics with the Pimsleur CDs. They teach a fairly formal and polite version of Thai, where every sentence ends with the word "krup." When speaking with friends, acquaintances, bargirls and in familiar situations, is it common to use "krup" at the end of every sentence?

No. Way too formal, certainly not with bar girls and friends, may be if you were addressing a high ranking official / someone in position of power, etc.

Many polite and bar girls says "ka" alot, so I see no reason why you shouldn't say krap. Not after every sentence, but it doesn't take much energy to appear a little polite to thai people when you're in their country.

Just listen to how the Thai person is speaking to you. If they using ka or krup then they consider it a formal conversation and you should respond likewise.

It's disconcerting when you're kissing or fondling a girl and going for the girl friend experience and they still use ka at the end of their sentences. Clearly they are not getting the boyfriend experience from you.

Often they will insert 'na' before the ka or krup. This softens the formality of the ka or krup.

Archived