IGNORED

Joiner Fees?

blue1878

I visited Thailand for the first time in 1992.  And in 1992 and 1993 I booked a package holiday.  And it was during my 2nd holiday that me and my mate decided that we would never book a package holiday again because of the extra costs that we had to pay.  And the extra costs were (1) Single room supplement which we had to pay to the company that we was booking the holiday with (2) And every night we took a girl back to the hotel we had to pay the Joiner fee.

So since 1994 I have always been an independant traveler to Thailand and booked my own flights and hotel room.  And since 1994 I have never paid a joiner fee

And since 2004 I have mainly stayed at the Welcome Plaza hotel in South Pattaya.  And I have never ever had to pay a joiner fee at this hotel.  And there has been a couple of occasions when I have taken 2 girls back.

Anyway I recently started a topic in another forum about the Welcome Plaza hotel.  And one of the guys that replied to my topic said that when he stayed at the hotel a few years ago he had to pay a 300 baht joiner fee every time he took a girl back to the hotel.  And he is not the first person to mention that he has had to pay a joiner fee when staying at the Welcome Plaza.

I think this is strange because I have stayed at this hotel loads of time and have never had to pay a joiner fee

So I have begun to wonder why my hotel and maybe some others charge joiner fees to some guests but not others.

One reason why this might happen might be because I always book directly with the hotel and because I book directly with the hotel I dont have to pay a joiner fee when I take a girl back.  

Other guys might book there room through an internet company like Agoda and because of this they have to pay a Joiner fee

So I was wondering what my fellow Addicts think about this.  Have they had experiance of hotels that charge Joiner fees to some customers but not others.  

And does anyone know why some hotels do this

I visited Thailand for the first time in 1992.  And in 1992 and 1993 I booked a package holiday.  And it was during my 2nd holiday that me and my mate decided that we would never book a package holiday again because of the extra costs that we had to pay.  And the extra costs were (1) Single room supplement which we had to pay to the company that we was booking the holiday with (2) And every night we took a girl back to the hotel we had to pay the Joiner fee.

So since 1994 I have always been an independant traveler to Thailand and booked my own flights and hotel room.  And since 1994 I have never paid a joiner fee

And since 2004 I have mainly stayed at the Welcome Plaza Hotel in South Pattaya.  And I have never ever had to pay a joiner fee at this hotel.  And there has been a couple of occasions when I have taken 2 girls back.

Anyway I recently started a topic in another forum about the Welcome Plaza Hotel.  And one of the guys that replied to my topic said that when he stayed at the hotel a few years ago he had to pay a 300 baht joiner fee every time he took a girl back to the hotel.  And he is not the first person to mention that he has had to pay a joiner fee when staying at the Welcome Plaza.

I think this is strange because I have stayed at this hotel loads of time and have never had to pay a joiner fee

So I have begun to wonder why my hotel and maybe some others charge joiner fees to some guests but not others.

Other gu

One reason why this might happen might be because I always book directly with the hotel and because I book directly with the hotel I dont have to pay a joiner fee when I take a girl back. 

ys might book there room through an internet company like Agoda and because of this they have to pay a Joiner fee

So I was wondering what my fellow Addicts think about this.  Have they had experiance of hotels that charge Joiner fees to some customers but not others.  

I think that this is the main reason, the hotels are trying to claw back whatever 'commision' they pay to the booking agent. This is one area where I do make a stand, I always check on the situation before I make a booking and will not book anywhwere that charges joiners fees. It was something I never came across personally until the age of internet bookings.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

I think that this is the main reason, the hotels are trying to claw back whatever 'commision' they pay to the booking agent. This is one area where I do make a stand, I always check on the situation before I make a booking and will not book anywhwere that charges joiners fees. It was something I never came across personally until the age of internet bookings.

Dr.Winston I agree with you I think the hotels are trying to claw back the commision they have to pay the booking agent.  Having said that I'm not sure if all hotels do charge the joiner fee's to guests that have booked through a room through an internet company.

A lot of guys dont realise that if they book a room through an internet company they will still have to pay a joiner fee.  So they should maybe do some checking before paying for the room

I'm lucky in the fact that because I always stay at the same hotel during each holiday and I stay there 2 times a year they have got to know me.  So I usually get a discount plus I dont have to pay for my room until I check in at the beginning of my holiday

Dr.Winston I agree with you I think the hotels are trying to claw back the commision they have to pay the booking agent.  Having said that I'm not sure if all hotels do charge the joiner fee's to guests that have booked through a room through an internet company.

A lot of guys dont realise that if they book a room through an internet company they will still have to pay a joiner fee.  So they should maybe do some checking before paying for the room

I'm lucky in the fact that because I always stay at the same hotel during each holiday and I stay there 2 times a year they have got to know me.  So I usually get a discount plus I dont have to pay for my room until I check in at the beginning of my holiday

No, not all of them do but it's worth checking beforehand liker you say. One strategy they use is to get you to select how many people are going to stay in the room and who they are when you book, obviously making it hard to include any guests you haven't met yet.

In all honesty you can get some great deals through those agent sites so maybe just be upfront before you make a booking and see if you can get an acknowledgemnet that no joiners fees will be charged in advance. I have managed to argue my way out of joiners fees before but now I'm aware of it I try to avoid the situation entirely.

I always email hotel first and take a copy of reply also always book for 2 people, never had a problem.

Always book the room for 2. You get extra free breakfast coupons too and doesn't cost anymore than booking as a single! Check directly with the hotel about a joiner fee for the 3rd person though. (2nd girl)

When a hotel charges me for a second girl, I have it mean they don't want my business.

It may not be the case, but that's how I feel.

Won't go to hotel that charges for second/third girls...  

And since 2004 I have mainly stayed at the Welcome Plaza Hotel in South Pattaya.  And I have never ever had to pay a joiner fee at this hotel.  And there has been a couple of occasions when I have taken 2 girls back.

Anyway I recently started a topic in another forum about the Welcome Plaza Hotel.  And one of the guys that replied to my topic said that when he stayed at the hotel a few years ago he had to pay a 300 baht joiner fee every time he took a girl back to the hotel.  And he is not the first person to mention that he has had to pay a joiner fee when staying at the Welcome Plaza.

Other guys might book there room through an internet company like Agoda and because of this they have to pay a Joiner fee

What this guys did not mention is the number of persons they booked for.

If you book a room for 1 person, but want to have joiners, hotel should charge joiner fee, because room booked for 1 person

Would be no problem if it was booked for 2.

Some hotels charge joiner fees irrespective, HOWEVER when room is booked for 2, hotels will allow 1 free joiner, ie same girl.

hotels in BKK, if room booked for 2 people, will allow 1 girl and will register her, if you bring others, they will charge.

If you book a room for 1 person, but want to have joiners, hotel should charge joiner fee, because room booked for 1 person

Some hotels charge joiner fees irrespective, HOWEVER when room is booked for 2, hotels will allow 1 free joiner, ie same girl.

Hotels in BKK, if room booked for 2 people, will allow 1 girl and will register her, if you bring others, they will charge.

I have known the on-line booking forms to request the identity of the 2nd person in advance, something that obviously gives the hotel plenty of scope to attempt to charge a joiners fee. In these cases I would seek confirmation that you won't be charged a joiners fee for an un-named guest before booking.

Hotels in BKK, if room booked for 2 people, will allow 1 girl and will register her, if you bring others, they will charge.

not all hotels charge for an extra girl in bkk...  just like in pattaya.

but you are right, when booking room always book for two!

plug for the forum, please use Agoda and click on link from forum to go there, it helps pay for this fantastic forum!

I have known the on-line booking forms to request the identity of the 2nd person in advance, something that obviously gives the hotel plenty of scope to attempt to charge a joiners fee. In these cases I would seek confirmation that you won't be charged a joiners fee for an un-named guest before booking.

I do not think such practice exists any longer. the forms you mentioned i have not seen when booking through Agoda, booking, hotels or any other site, i have never seen it on direct hotel booking pages either.

I do not think such practice exists any longer. the forms you mentioned i have not seen when booking through agoda, booking, hotels or any other site, i have never seen it on direct hotel booking pages either.

Well it was about 5 years ago and it did lead to me having an argument in a Phuket hotel (which was resolved in my favour) but if they no longer ask that question as you say then obviously it's advice you might not need.

I've been basically staying in the same hotel for the last 10 years and I stay there twice a year.  And during the last 10 years I have in the main only booked the room for myself.  And I've never been asked by the hotel to pay a joiner fee.  And on 2 occasions I've taken 2 girls back to my room and reception didnt ask me for a joiner fee for the 2nd person

The reason I started this topic was because I've always done my booking directly with the Welcome Plaza hotel.  And when I have taken a girl back to the hotel for the night they have never asked for a joiner fee BUT I know of other guys who have stayed at this hotel and have had to pay a joiner fee.  So I was wondering if hotels in Pattaya/Thailand only charged guests joiner fees if they have booked there hotel room through internet sites like Agoda rather than directly with the hotel.

I always book my hotels through Agoda and unless its stated otherwise in the fine print under "hotel Policies", usually once the photos finish, you'll see the heading of "hotel Description" followed by "hotel Policies"...

There have been times where Ive seen 1000 baht joiner fees written there but so far Ive always booked for 2 people and never been charged for bringing back one lady in the hotels Ive chosen, never in Bangkok or Pattaya.

It bewilders me and I can only assume that they do it because they can get away with the newbie's!

I booked a hotel on the beach in Patong through an agency (flightcentre) during high season, the room cost 9000 baht per night, it was booked for 2 people, I emailed the management about the joiner fee, they replied that there was no joiner fee for one guest!

On the first night they tried to charge me 1000 baht for bringing back one girl so I took out the email print out of the answer they had sent me about no joiner fee and I literally fucked them, the look on they're faces was priceless! Mastercard moment!!!

T.I.T.....This is Thailand and they will try, I believe they know you as you've been going there for years but why shouldnt they try with newbie's, its dodgy and disgusting but I dont think its got anything to do with booking through Agoda etc.

Just my observation of course, I could be wrong!

I've been basically staying in the same hotel for the last 10 years and I stay there twice a year.  And during the last 10 years I have in the main only booked the room for myself.  And I've never been asked by the hotel to pay a joiner fee.  And on 2 occasions I've taken 2 girls back to my room and reception didnt ask me for a joiner fee for the 2nd person

The reason I started this topic was because I've always done my booking directly with the Welcome Plaza Hotel.  And when I have taken a girl back to the hotel for the night they have never asked for a joiner fee BUT I know of other guys who have stayed at this hotel and have had to pay a joiner fee.  So I was wondering if hotels in Pattaya/Thailand only charged guests joiner fees if they have booked there hotel room through internet sites like agoda rather than directly with the hotel.

Stayed in the same hotel for past 10 years might be a good give away clue for you :GoldenSmile1:

Have stayed in Woodlands and Discovery Beach and been presented with bills upon check out that included numerous joiner fees.

Lots of querying and in the end arguing with the manager ensued.

But one phonecall to our Thai based agent and the bills were re-issued with no fees added.

He send lots of people to the hotels in question, the majority of which are single males, he told us later that part of his terms were that no

joiner fees to his customers.

Regular customers or booking via hotel will increase the chance of not being charged, if you are on a heavily discounted option, then you probably have to live with it. 

You may want to also consider a serviced apartment or condo! Never any joiner fees.

Stayed in the same hotel for past 10 years might be a good give away clue for you :GoldenSmile1:

Hi FTS you could be right

But 8 years ago I'd only been going there for 2 years and back then they didnt charge me a joiner fee for taking a girl back to my room

Archived