IGNORED

Yamaha 18" PA Speakers

Grumbler

Were in a bar a few years ago, in storage now, pretty sure they are 18" and horn loaded top section, 2 speakers, very big and very heavy.

very big clean sound if you have a good amp, good for a bar or a house in the wilderness.

10,000 baht.

tel: 09 9086 0013

post-141476-0-81341100-1416729710_thumb.jpg

Odd in the sense that 15 is an odd number, perhaps :)

But 21, 18, 15, 12, 10 inch are the only low frequency drivers you'll find in normal PA speakers.

That said, a pair of 15" Yamaha PA speakers will play the ears off anyone in a smallish bar, I would consider those overkill, really. (Though, of course, pretty much every sound system sounds better when you're not playing it to the max, so a bit of overkill used wisely is not a bad thing.)

They are 15".. I do this for a living.. I don't wanna go deep, but if bought in LOS, prob copies. I have repaired/replaced/re-coned/re-installed/installed/re-eq-ed and built a lot of systems in Patts (undercover and in darkness) for many friends that own bars that have had problems. I have travelled miles looking for amps/speakers/desks/graphs/compressors/gates etc. They either a) don't exist b) are copies.

<!-- isHtml:1 -->

I highly suspected as much, but I didn't want to be possibly damaging to the OP without personal experience about the situation there.

I've done my share of fixing PA systems (on an almost purely amateur basis, though), and I've seen a lot of strange shit in Thailand that didn't seem quite right. So what's your opinion on the general state of stuff? Are the copies anywhere decent, as in proper copies, maybe with cheaper components? Or are they just random crap that someone put a famous logo on?

(Oh, and what would you need gates for in Pattaya? Methinks you're overdoing it :P )

Ha ha !! some of the live stuff (I re-setted/eq/gates/comps at the Blues Factory a couple of years ago for instance) in the bigger venues have outboard, but the majority don't as it is mainly (poor) playback. I found it most difficult to source any good stuff in Pattaya to be honest, the Thai owners/managers want amps with flashing lights on, and the obligitory "smiley fuckin face" on the graphic. It's a thankless task to be honest, i do it if I am asked, but the gear available is piss poor to be honest. Also, the times I have had to pull Blu-Tac off cables (to make a connection instead of a choc-bloc) is unreal.. Only in Thailand as they say!!!  :SoWhat1:

They are 15".. I do this for a living.. I don't wanna go deep, but if bought in LOS, prob copies. I have repaired/replaced/re-coned/re-installed/installed/re-eq-ed and built a lot of systems in Patts (undercover and in darkness) for many friends that own bars that have had problems. I have travelled miles looking for amps/speakers/desks/graphs/compressors/gates etc. They either a) don't exist b) are copies.

Or original pay ridiculous prices.

I had a lot of original stuff in the bar when I had it and the cost of getting original or just a good re-cone was daft sometimes.

I did find a Thai company in BKK that used to do the copies and for the money they were superb so I used to always keep at least one 18 and 2 15's in the office in-case of problems whilst open.

:)

Ha ha !! some of the live stuff (I re-setted/eq/gates/comps at the Blues Factory a couple of years ago for instance) in the bigger venues have outboard, but the majority don't as it is mainly (poor) playback. I found it most difficult to source any good stuff in Pattaya to be honest, the Thai owners/managers want amps with flashing lights on, and the obligitory "smiley fuckin face" on the graphic. It's a thankless task to be honest, i do it if I am asked, but the gear available is piss poor to be honest. Also, the times I have had to pull Blu-Tac off cables (to make a connection instead of a choc-bloc) is unreal.. Only in Thailand as they say!!!  :SoWhat1:

Did you? Don't remember. :)

I was introduced by a guy that owned, or was a partner in, (I think) The Doll house or Livin Dolls (Andy)??. I think it was on my first or second trip, so it woulda been 2007/8. He introduced me to another guy that had something to do with the Blues Factory, and he inferred that there was a problem with the sound at the time. I was in there on an afternoon, and looked at the desk, graphs and amps. I pulled some of the input gains back on the desk, and also the seperate gains on the graphs, it would seem that one was actually overdriving the other. I came back on the night, early, when there wasn't many about and spoke to another guy and explained what i had done, and he thanked me! I stayed a while and have been popping in for a beer ever since. I am happy to have a beer with you Dave, and if you could let me know the company in BKK, that could be useful for the other bars. I am back in Jan for 6 weeks.

Cheers

Maintaining proper headroom while not attenuating the original signal too much, that's an almost impossible concept to teach to people who don't just simply get it on their own (and don't have to be taught)...

I was introduced by a guy that owned, or was a partner in, (I think) The Doll house or Livin Dolls (Andy)??. I think it was on my first or second trip, so it woulda been 2007/8. He introduced me to another guy that had something to do with the Blues Factory, and he inferred that there was a problem with the sound at the time. I was in there on an afternoon, and looked at the desk, graphs and amps. I pulled some of the input gains back on the desk, and also the seperate gains on the graphs, it would seem that one was actually overdriving the other. I came back on the night, early, when there wasn't many about and spoke to another guy and explained what i had done, and he thanked me! I stayed a while and have been popping in for a beer ever since. I am happy to have a beer with you Dave, and if you could let me know the company in BKK, that could be useful for the other bars. I am back in Jan for 6 weeks.

Cheers

Could of been Andy as he was early Dollhouse or Ken who was/ is both.

Not sure if it was me you saw, I actually co/owned ran the place including maintenance etc and being in the afternoon it certainly could of been unless I was away,( used to go to the UK for 4 - 5 weeks every summer.)

Problem wise it sounds like the Thai interference problem as that was the main issue there, the gain's on the board (especially the Thai rock musicians) used to be at about 3 - 4 o clock and the EQ on that channel would all be in the negative so no power just loud with feedback.

Probably around that time me also and a sound engineer mate Dom re did it all, I serviced the board and replaced the sliders and he installed a driverack and we serviced the amps and put new mic cables and neutrek connectors throughout, he then did the sound that night and I ended up buying another EQ and also took out some of the compressors etc.

I then had a staff meeting and ordered that no member of staff including band members and the manager were allowed to touch it without talking to me first so I could see what the problem was and call in Dom if needed.

:) (It stayed untouched fora little while)

The speakers I bought were by a company called Pa Audio from BKK, a few shops in Pattaya sell them.

http://www.paudiothailand.com/index.cfm

Look closer to 12s, if you compare them to the fan, not sure on that

Quite easy to pick copies from fakes, the serial/model number plate is the give away

Not to hard to source good quality s/h gear for reasonable prices, but i've been ratting out that sort of thing for years

and have a bit of a nack for it.

my recent finds

yamaha ry 30 (definitely genuine)(4700bht)

ry30sml.jpg

soundcraft efx 8 desk (7500bht)

soundcraft11.jpg

cheers

Member since Dec 06.

Could of been Andy as he was early Dollhouse or Ken who was/ is both.

Not sure if it was me you saw, I actually co/owned ran the place including maintenance etc and being in the afternoon it certainly could of been unless I was away,( used to go to the UK for 4 - 5 weeks every summer.)

Problem wise it sounds like the Thai interference problem as that was the main issue there, the gain's on the board (especially the Thai rock musicians) used to be at about 3 - 4 o clock and the EQ on that channel would all be in the negative so no power just loud with feedback.

Probably around that time me also and a sound engineer mate Dom re did it all, I serviced the board and replaced the sliders and he installed a driverack and we serviced the amps and put new mic cables and neutrek connectors throughout, he then did the sound that night and I ended up buying another EQ and also took out some of the compressors etc.

I then had a staff meeting and ordered that no member of staff including band members and the manager were allowed to touch it without talking to me first so I could see what the problem was and call in Dom if needed.

:) (It stayed untouched fora little while)

The speakers I bought were by a company called Pa Audio from BKK, a few shops in Pattaya sell them.

http://www.paudiothailand.com/index.cfm

Ok, I will pop in for a beer when I am back in Jan.. Cheers Dave

Ok, I will pop in for a beer when I am back in Jan.. Cheers Dave

I'm back in the UK mate. I closed Blues Factory and sold off all the contents and the company (although it has since been reopened).

cheers

:).

Archived