IGNORED

Still confused about Visa to Thailand from UK.

kevin gilmour

Hi guys, I must be amazingly thick, but even with all the info posted about visa applications, I'm still not clear about a few things, hopefully someone can help me. I plan to go to Thailand for about 56 days during Feb/March next year. During this time, I plan to have about a week in Cambodia, and a week in Vietnam. I am 59 years old, not sure if that's relevant. My first query is that I thought the start date of the visa was from when you applied for it, but the lady I spoke to at the Hull consulate said it was activated on arrival in Thailand, is that right? In which case I can apply for it now. She also said I am not entitled to a year visa, I have to have the tourist (90 day) visa. Is that right? I thought I could apply for either, do you have to have the tourist visa first, then you are eligible for the year visa after? My main concern, is that when I go back to Thailand from Cambodia or Vietnam, I avoid the problem of receiving a 15 day stamp in my passport. If I have my tourist visa, does this override how long I can stay in Thailand on my return from Cambodia?

Many thanks for any advice and clarity.      

Will your first entry into thailand be for less than 30 days?

Will you be flying to/from Cambodia/Vietnam?

When you return to Thailand from Cambodia/ Vietnam do you plan to stay for more than 30 days?

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character."

As Vortex is stating, the days you are staying initially and then after your trips to Cambodia and Vietnam trips is critical.

Before the immigration crackdown you could probably have got away with 3 30 day tourist waivers (free on entry) but not advised now.

A Double Entry Tourist Visa (£50) combined with a 30 day Tourist Waiver will probably do you fine. A Double Entry Tourist Visa is valid for 60 days on each entry with an Extension of 30 days on each entry but you won't need the extensions. A 90 day Tourist Visa does not officially exist. Your problem is the side trips - you need 3 entries into Thailand so you need at least a Double Entry plus the 30 day Waiver. You loose the balance of the 60 days per entry if you exit the country. If you decide to not bother with the side trips a Single Entry 60 day Toursit Visa (£25) would be fine.

Regarding "activation" of the Visa - the 60 days is activated when you first enter Thailand but the Visa has a "Enter Before" which counts down from day of issue - usually 6 months from Date of Issue. DON'T get your Visa now, send off for it a couple of weeks before you fly.

Thanks for your replies guys, I was hoping to wait until I was in Thailand before deciding when to go to Cambodia/Vietnam, as I thought with a triple entry tourist visa I could travel when I wanted to. The probable answers to the questions above are Yes, Yes, and No, although I can change this if you think I should. Taking into account what you guys are saying, am I right in thinking that despite having a triple entry tourist visa, if I exit Thailand and then re-enter, I'm only allowed back in for 30 days?  

You need to post your exact itinerary, otherwise everyone is just guessing what you'll need (or not need).

The visa starts the day it is issued. You must enter before the visa expires. If you enter on the last day that it is valid you will still get 60 days (not 90). There is no link between a tourist visa and any one year visas. The one year visas are not applicable to those who are coming to Thailand for a holiday.

If you want a no hassle safe time I would get a double entry tourist visa. You could then arrive in Thailand first before doing the trip away and then return. Even if you arrive at a land crossing you will get another 60 days.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Archived