IGNORED

The irony of the new requirement for Non Immigrant O Visa

maxtroy

I have arranged several Non Immigrant O  Visa's through the Jomtien office . This year I am informed " No can , must go Bangkok" by that pinch faced mongrel working the reception counter as you walk in the door at the Soi 5 office  . Personality of a sucked lemon and I expect sucking lemons is good practice for him.

Wait 5 hours in Bangkok immigration prepared with the "required" paperwork and finally get called to the counter. I am informed there is a new requirement to prove the funds I bring into Thailand are legitimate . I am instructed to go to my bank and get Statement to show origin of my last transfer . No she didn't explain clearly what was required but eventually we figured it out sitting with the bank lady .

A document was produced called something like Statement of Advice (no charge if record is in current year) that shows my home bank.

I showed this to Immigration officer and she was satisfied I was legitimate and process completed . I asked my  Tilak why she thought I needed this additonal paperwork as I easily met the basic money on deposit requirement . She told me Immigration wanted to make sure " You no bring mafia money."  As I was laughing she asked what i found so funny to which I replied  " Pretty funny when Immigration wants to Police foreign corruption " . 

BTW - Basement of Immigration has several different Thai Banks in operation and there is a large Thai food cafeteria with inexpensive but tasty Thai food .

Lots of "ironic" stuff going on since NCPO if you see it that way.

Were told that the reason you had to go to Bangkok is the crackdown on corruption at Jomtien.

Presumably the OP is talking about doing a conversion to an O Type visa.

Archived