Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

iPad Air Security & Maintenance

likethaigirls

Hi All,

I've just bought an Apple iPad Air tablet computer. Wifi capability only, no SIM. Running iOS 8.1

I've never had Apple before, but have used Windows for some time.

The point: I want to run my iPad securely and keep it well maintained.

I'm always using my iPad on wifi networks at hotels & restaurants.

I log onto 'sensitive' websites. Other than that, nothing special- Wikipedia, social media....

I want to:

- Log into sensitive websites securely. With Windows, I use IBM Trusteer Rapport.

- Stay free of viruses & be protected. With Windows, I use AVG Internet Security. I have a trial version of Norton Internet Security just now, too. I *guess* the one to choose depends on what you're using your computer for.

- Transmit using encryption. I read that iOS 8.1 is encrypted by default- but is it adequate? With Windows, I use Hotspot Shield.

For Windows maintenance, I've got 2 products from Piriform: CCleaner & Defraggler.

What would you recommend for me to keep my iPad Air maintained and secure? Do I need the equivalent of all the Windows products I've mentioned above? Less? More?

Thanks!!

I will let the experts answer your questions.

However I will say that using wifi connection at hotels & restaurants is a very risky thing to do.

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

Just saw this.. 

iOS encrypts data on the device if you tell it to do so in iTunes setup. There's a checkbox to do so - no need for any Norton-like crap to do it for you. 

Jai Dee Mak is correct - internet traffic is another thing entirely. It's based upon the level of security in the particular network you connect to, but can be quite open for tourists. If you want a secure internet connection, always, use an encrypted network VPN to connect through...I personally like TunnelBear, as it offers VPN connections in 9 or 10 different countries and, under 8.1, can be always on in iOS. 

Other than that, don't worry about viruses (each app is sandboxed), defragging (it happens in the background) or other Windows-like annoyance.

JUST DON'T JAILBREAK THE DEVICE

I put that in caps because some people listen to idiots who tell them of all the cool hacks that can do to their iOS devices by breaking through Apple's walls and then adding in whatever apps they want - stolen, copies, etc. The few times there's a security issue in iOS, it usually requires a jailbroken device to be infected. Keep inside Apple's safe garden and you'll never need to worry about viruses and junk.

I use VPN  Unlimited and find it does things well with no slowdown in speed.

If it floats, flies or fucks, RENT IT!!!!! "He who hesitates, masturbates"

Archived