IGNORED

Visa Waiver & Tourist Visa - Thailand

MrDK

Below is a summary of visa options for visiting Thailand depending on length of stay.

This page is also part of The Ultimate Newbie Guide to Thailand posted on this board.

Updated: 13 November to reflect recent changes, including Multiple Entry Tourist Visa.

Update2: 06 January with final immigration rulings concerning potential ban for overstay.

banner_blue_blue_pa.png

thai_visa_faq.png

copyright_800_dark_blue.png

Regarding the visa waiver - any idea how 3-in-row is to be interpreted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not seen a clear definition, but have read of one incident (on this board) where a traveler with three visa waiver stamps over an extended time period had to pay tea money.

If you have 3 in-a-row over any time period and have the option to apply for a tourist visa you may want to consider that.

I have not seen a clear definition, but have read of one incident (on this board) where a traveler with three visa waiver stamps over an extended time period had to pay tea money.

If you have 3 in-a-row over any time period and have the option to apply for a tourist visa you may want to consider that.

Where is the 3-in-a-row "rule' laid down, other than on boomboomme.com?  It appears to be based on the short-lived "maximum 90 days in 180" rule which was dropped some time ago.

Where is the 3-in-a-row "rule' laid down, other than on boomboomme.com? It appears to be based on the short-lived "maximum 90 days in 180" rule which was dropped some time ago.

You happen to have a link for the official updated rules?

I thought the 90 in 180 days were still in effect.

The 90 in 180 rule went out the window years ago and very few go caught in that (I did).
Once I received less that a 30-day visa waiver, however, it did not matter as I only was staying for a week or so.

You happen to have a link for the official updated rules?

I thought the 90 in 180 days were still in effect.

I just listen to/read what ubonjoe on ThaiVisa says.  He appears to have his finger on the pulse of immigration matters, so to speak.  Loads of links to the Immigration Act, amendments and associated Police Orders.

Where is the 3-in-a-row "rule' laid down, other than on boomboomme.com?  It appears to be based on the short-lived "maximum 90 days in 180" rule which was dropped some time ago.

Exactly.Is it 3 visa waivers a year or is it 3 visa waivers in a lifetime ?? It`s the same with the "90 in 180 days " rule that was scrapped in 2007,but some Thai consulates and one immigration station in the South still percists that the rule excist.

Hi. Regarding the 30-days extension to get 60 days total from a Visa Waiver,

be careful that there is a scam running at Jomtien Immigration,

and these 30 days will cost you 3'000 baht, not 1'900 baht... :sad:

See http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/248819-visa-exemption-extension-in-jomtien/?p=2855352

or on ThaiVisa: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/763503-30-day-extension-at-jomtien/

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having a brain freeze!

If I arrive in Thailand on Thursday December 10 2015 (at 9am that morning FWIW), and I receive a 30-day visa exemption stamp on arrival (as a British passport holder), by which date (presumably, before midnight) must I exit the country within that exemption?

Is it January Saturday 9?!

I'm having a brain freeze!

If I arrive in Thailand on Thursday December 10 2015 (at 9am that morning FWIW), and I receive a 30-day visa exemption stamp on arrival (as a British passport holder), by which date (presumably, before midnight) must I exit the country within that exemption?

Is it January Saturday 9?!

No the last day is the 8th. The day that you arrive is the first day of the stay (and 00:01 on the 11th of December is the start of day 2)

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

No the last day is the 8th. The day that you arrive is the first day of the stay (and 00:01 on the 11th of December is the start of day 2)

Correct, as stated in OP 30 days (by Thai reasoning it is 29 nights).

I have arrived just after midnight on a delayed flight and the visa waiver stamp reflected the "day before" that I was actually admitted.

Did not matter as I was not staying more than a couple of weeks.

It is, however, recommended that one check they stamps visa or not before going on ... mistakes are human.

Thanks for clarifying. So, likewise, if I arrive Monday Dec 14, I have to fly out Tue Jan 12 (latest)?

Booking flight today!

Thanks for clarifying. So, likewise, if I arrive Monday Dec 14, I have to fly out Tue Jan 12 (latest)?

Booking flight today!

A couple of things to keep in mind

1. Depending of the what value an extra couple of days have to you a visa waiver can be extended in-country for 7 or 30 days, each for 1900 baht.

2. A single day of overstay carries no penalty (2nd day penalty for both days). This is an option that I would not use personally, but some seem to do.

Anyone is able to recommend a visa handlikg company in Pattaya? I'd like to get the new METV.

Anyone is able to recommend a visa handlikg company in Pattaya? I'd like to get the new METV.

You need to get one outside of Thailand so don't worry about a Thailand-based agent.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

You need to get one outside of Thailand so don't worry about a Thailand-based agent.

... and I believe only from your country of your passport or permanent residency.

• 1 month later...

Over a year ago a draft of new rules that outlined statutory bans for overstay of visa or visa waiver was circulated.
On 9 December 2015 Bangkok Post published an article concerning the new rule that largely mirrored the draft, but differed in that even less than 90 days of overstay at departure could cause a 1 year ban (yes meaning a day or two)
On January 5 2016 a Final  Rule was posted with no ban for overstays of 90 days or fewer (there are still monetary fines for an overstay of 2 days or longer).

OP and linked HTML pages have been updated

Over a year ago a draft of new rules that outlined statutory bans for overstay of visa or visa waiver was circulated.

On 9 December 2015 Bangkok Post published an article concerning the new rule that largely mirrored the draft, but differed in that even less than 90 days of overstay at departure could cause a 1 year ban (yes meaning a day or two)

On January 5 2016 a Final  Rule was posted with no ban for overstays of 90 days or fewer (there are still monetary fines for an overstay of 2 days or longer).

OP and linked HTML pages have been updated

I think the final draft is fair.

I think the final draft is fair.

Other countries could learn here!

... oh, final is not a draft but rather a rule (law)

I do think the one year ban for even a day if apprehended is a bit harsh especially when a day (by Thai calculations) can be confusing.

A week or two for such severe action would e a more reasonable threshold.

I do think the one year ban for even a day if apprehended is a bit harsh especially when a day (by Thai calculations) can be confusing.

A week or two for such severe action would e a more reasonable threshold.

I understand but really people only have themselves to blame if they are caught out like this. It isn't that confusing as the day the stay ends is stamped in the passport.

Just received a METV from the Thai embassy in Denmark. Will give it a test ride the next 6 months, and see if it's worth the money.

I have experienced some problems in the immigration the last years time (always on visa waiver) due to my multiple entries. I'm excited to see if immigration will be a bit more relaxed, when flashing the new visa!

Archived