Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Chai, Dai, Krup

Grumpy

Chai, Dai, Krup.

Sometimes a man answers with "Chai Krup" "Dai Krup" or just "Krup." I've got in-laws whom I understand rather well now, but I want to be very careful not to offend or give them any reason to shun me past the obvious (falang).

I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out when to use what. My wife tries to explain it to me, but the rules in English are too different and she gets frustrated and gives up.

My incomplete understanding is thus:

"Chai" when answering the question "are you ____"

"Dai" when saying "ok" to an action verb

"Krup" used alone - generic ok, or to show agreement when there was no question.

Are you American? "Chai krup" or "May chai krup"

Can we go see a movie? "Dai krup" or "May dai krup"

It's time to go. "Krup"

Do I have this right so far? What else should I know?

Yes, you seem to have it understood well enough. I would not worry too much about making an impression on the folks up country. They will appreciate any effort you make but please bare in mind that as a foreigner they expect you to be a bit strange so don't worry if you don't get everything 100% right.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Most of the family has lived in my home town for years and years..they're the ones I'm worried about. They're all from Central Thailand...they snarl at the northerners. I think it's hilarious.

Most of the family has lived in my home town for years and years..they're the ones I'm worried about. They're all from Central Thailand...they snarl at the northerners. I think it's hilarious.

I used to make all kinds of effort to fit in on my up-country visits, quite often I would be viewed a bit suspiciously. In the end I realised that all you have to do is show respect to the elders and be fun. Remember you are a foreigner and therefore strange in their eyes. If you act like a respectful foreigner they will feel easy with you, if you try to act too much like a Thai you will confuse them. I'm not saying that speaking Thai with them is bad, just don't try to be one of them. relax and enjoy the trip.

Thanks Doc. For the most part the family has accepted me 100%, the stateside group knows me well, and I know all about being a humble, respectful falang in LOS.

Cock Bang - That really helps. Thanks!

You're welcome, one thing I have found that may or may not be true in your case is that unless the person trying to teach you Thai understands English very well they usually will not be able to explain the different literal translations. It is lucky for me I know someone who moved from Thailand to the US when she was 14 so she knows both languages. For instance for about my first 3 or 4 trips I believed that chai was yes, because all of my Thai friends had told me that word meant yes so sometimes I get :) Thanks to you too cause until now I understood khrap and chai but not dai. I had to ask my friend.

IMO the answer is always in the question!~

chai mai? dai mai? koy mai? chai ru ploa? (chai ba?)

or other examples

are you twenty six? answer 26

I think you can use kap alot more that I do!

Its just a short answer as opposed to providing the full sentence.

Like when you ask someone whether they can do something they will often reply with "dai krab" i.e. "Can" or have you got something "mee krab" etc etc.

But I use krab when someone is speaking to be just to affirm what they're saying. Just like in the west when you say "yes" "yes" when someones chatting as a matter of habit.

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

If someone asks whether I'm cold or thirsty, is "chai krup" or "mai chai krup" appropriate? Thanks.

They are both correct answers depending upon whether you are cold/thirsty or not.

They are both correct answers depending upon whether you are cold/thirsty or not.

I told a girl that she was suay. Being Thai/humble her response was, "mai suay." Based on what you just told me, shouldn't the proper response have been, "mai chai suay"?

BTW, how do you ask in Thai whether someone is cold? I get the feeling the girls sometimes aren't used to the strong aircon in our rooms. Thanks again.

Edited by Millard

I told a girl that she was suay. Being Thai/humble her response was, "mai suay." Based on what you just told me, shouldn't the proper response have been, "mai chai suay"?

BTW, how do you ask in Thai whether someone is cold? I get the feeling the girls sometimes aren't used to the strong aircon in our rooms. Thanks again.

Only if you asked her if she (or somebody else) was beautiful using a "chai mai" question i.e. Phuying khon nan suay chai mai khrap "that girl is beautiful, don't you think" then Chai or mai chai would be the correct answer. To the question "Suay Mai" the answer would just be "Suay" or "Mai suay" Hope that this helps. it's just a matter of getting used to the way Thais use and answer question really.

The simplest way to ask if somebody is too cold is "Naaw mai". Naaw rhyming with "now"being said with a rising tone.

Edited by Dr.Winston O'Boogie