IGNORED

Any Canadian's here? Need Expat details

rob270

Hey Fellow Canadians,

Has anyone here become an Expat? I work for a cruise ship and spend my leave here in Thailand. I don't really want to pay Canadian income tax any more if I can avoid it since I'm never there any more.

What the procedure or requirements?

in order not to pay any Candian tax you must give up your Canadian Resident status, this is very easy to do, but you can not have any connections in Canada, no property no nothing, I had to even cancell my golf membership. It is also easy to get your resident status back if you ever move back to Canada, I gave up my resiident status when i move the the US for 5 years. The other thing is when you do give up your status you are not eligilble for canadian health care.

Now my question to you, how did you land a job on a cruise ship? have any openings??

Hey Fellow Canadians,

Has anyone here become an Expat? I work for a cruise ship and spend my leave here in Thailand. I don't really want to pay Canadian income tax any more if I can avoid it since I'm never there any more.

What the procedure or requirements?

You have to break your ties for tax purposes.

If you spend over 183 days outside the country, you may be able to become a "non-resident" for taxes..

You have to cancel your medical coverage..

Switch Bank accounts..

Basically whatever ties you have in Canada, you have to break them..

Do you own a house? Do you rent it out? Do you have a business in Canada?

Every situation is different.

However, if you forgo your "residency" for tax purposes .. you still remain a Canadian citizen so you always have the option to come back.

Canada is different from the states in the sense that American Citizens have to pay tax on their "worldwide" income while Canadian "residents" have to pay taxes on their worldwide income..