IGNORED

Could this spiral out of control ?

Mr Wiggy

And could it effect the thousands of visa runs ?

Thai-Cambodia stand-off continues

Both Thailand and Cambodia claim territory that surrounds the temple

Officials from Thailand and Cambodia have called for dialogue as a military stand-off at an ancient border temple enters its second day.

Two hundred Thai and 380 Cambodian troops are said to be deployed at Preah Vihear temple, which sits on disputed territory along the border.

The build-up happened after Cambodia said Thai troops had crossed to its territory - a charge Thailand denies.

It comes days after Unesco listed the temple as a World Heritage Site.

The International Court awarded Preah Vihear temple to Cambodia in 1962, but areas around it remain the subject of an ongoing border dispute.

The Unesco move has reignited nationalist tensions, particularly in Thailand. Opposition forces are using the issue to attack the government - which initially backed the heritage listing.

'Misunderstanding'

The stand-off began on Tuesday, when Cambodian guards arrested three Thai protesters.

Political tensions driving temple row

In pictures: Preah Vihear

Thai troops then began crossing the border, Cambodia said. Thai military officials say their troops are deployed in Thai territory.

On Wednesday, as troop numbers increased, officials from both sides sought to defuse the situation.

"I think it's better to say this is some kind of misunderstanding," Cambodian government spokesman Khieu Kanharith said, when asked if the incident constituted a Thai invasion.

The soldiers were interacting peacefully at the site, he said.

Thai army commander General Anupong Paojinda, meanwhile, called for dialogue to resolve the row.

"There should be negotiations between the two countries. The problem has been unaddressed for a long time because there has been no demarcation of the border yet," he said.

"I want the problem to be solved, and the solution must be accepted by both countries."

Local residents are reported to have left the site but so far the only casualty of the stand-off is a Thai soldier injured by a landmine - likely left over from when the Khmer Rouge occupied the site.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7509412.stm

I have been following developments with interest and my opinion (for what it's worth) is that this has much to do with national pride and cultural expectations. My gut feeling is that the sensitivities of both sides can be soothed and a peaceful resolution achieved without too many tears being shed. Interesting point about the visa runs but I can't imagine border closures unless insanity defeats good sense.

Both nationalities pose a great degree of stubbornness, and the loss of face who ever is the first one to back down, it will probably be resolved by lunch time when someone comes along with a offering of various spicy dishes to keep everyone happy. Should be pretty interesting how this one gets resolved.

Can't see it escalating much past a local skirmish and a few nationalistic protests In PP and Bangkok.

Testicles

I can see this one running for a few years, the only road to the temple is from the Thailand side, the border runs along a line of hill and then does a sharp turn into Thailand to enclose the temple and then returns to the hill line.

The temple is undoubtedly Kymer in origin but sits on the Thai side of the "natural" border.

If the border were to be closed in the area, the Cambodians would have to use mule trains over the hills to supply it.

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=14.3928663&l...amp;m=h&v=2

Here is a link to the map in the area

I'm going to Phnom Penh in a few weeks for a bit of travel so I was just reading what the lonely Planet book had to say. Now I've been keeping up to date with the Thai side of things but it was interesting to see a different perspective. This disagreement dates back a hell of a long time and has only really boiled to the surface in the last few years after a Thai Movie Star made suggestions about the Cambodians and this temple. Also if you delve a little deeper you will find some interesting acquaintances between land owners and people of power.

Hope it's going to be Ok to fly there next month and looking forward to getting a different perspective.

Not looking good. :)

I want to lick Edna Krabappel`s Pussy....

Principal Seymour Skinner

Proud to be a member http://www.lmhr.org.uk/about/anl.html

Can you help please? http://www.baan-kingkaew-orphanage.org/mission.html

Take at look at this site if u care?

http://www.isara.org/

lbfucker.gif

Visit My Website

30 us dollars a day amounts to 1000 baht a day , 30,000 baht a month , thats more than the average thai earns , i would want to know what they trade ,

"And were you pleased?" they asked Helen in Hell.

"Pleased?" answered she,when all Troy's towers fell;

And dead were Priam´s sons, and lost his throne?

And such a war was fought as none had known;

And even the Gods took part; and all because

Of me alone! Pleased?

I should say I was!"

Lord Dunsany

I wonder if it'll end up with the Bods burning down the Thai embassy again. That will certainly effect any visa runs to PP in the near future!

Be scene and not herd.