IGNORED

Ram usage at 90% Windows 7

tlcwaterfall

Just need some help please.

My desktop has 2GB. of ram and Windows 7 is using 90% of the ram.

Chrome is using up the majority of my memory according to task manager.

Will I see a significant increase in performance if I upgrade my ram to 4GB?

And how much will the 4GB. cost?

Should I be looking to increase the ram or is 90% acceptable?

Any helpful replies are very much appreciated.

Thank you.

I don't think 2GB is enough to run Windows 7. You will see a significant improvement in performance if you added a couple more GB.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

i would'nt worry unless it's causing you issues. ignore the "ram usage at 90%" that you might be reading on task manager. mine also says that and i have 4gb of ram. click on performance in the task manager and that will give you a more accurate idea. and bear in mind that if you are using a 32 bit windows 7 it can only use 2.93 gb of ram anyway, any extra is wasted. you can find out if it's 32 bit by going to my computer then system properties.

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

My Pc is using 80% RAM and mostly for Chrome.

More memory is always the best way to boost performance, just make sure your motherboard supports the memory module you buy.

2GB is the absolute bare minimum to run 64bit Windows 7.  So, you will certainly notice a boost in performance if you bump up your RAM to at least 4GB (I would personally recommend 8GB).  As for cost, it depends on if you're able to add more RAM or would have to replace the 2GB modules you already have with 4GB modules, it depends on how many RAM slots are on the motherboard in your machine - the manual for your PC should tell you what you need.  If the manual doesn't, Google your motherboard model number and you should find the info you need.

PS:  Not all RAM modules are the same.  Again, refer to the manual or the info you find on the Internet to make sure you shop for the correct modules.  Also, it's not a good idea to mix-n-match RAM brands/modules - stick with the same brand for all RAM in your machine.

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

... if you are using a 32 bit windows 7 it can only use 2.93 gb of ram anyway, any extra is wasted. you can find out if it's 32 bit by going to my computer then system properties.

Not quite correct. A 32 bit OS can access 4GB. How much is available as RAM depends on how much video memory you have.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

• 2 weeks later...

Always helpful to know what are the make and the model of the PC in question? when you pose these questions. Then we can ascertain whether you can simply add another 2GB RAM module (extremely likely) and the average cost.

Most likely an extra 2GB will help but as also indicated efficiences may be attained by tweaking the OS - not sure I would be running all 3 of those methods noted by Davie - do one at a time at the very most and then test the system. I would use 4GB at a minimum for WIN7 and frequently run CCleaner Slim on that system to keep it "snappy".

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair 2.8.9 - from Davie

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweaking_com_windows_repair.html

I used to use the free avg virus protection as it seemed to be the best , but I also noticed a few releases ok (2-3 yrs??) that it suddenly became a resource hog. Have switched now to the free version of avast, and never had a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have switched now to the free version of avast, and never had a problem

Agree Avast is by far the best free antivirus program . 

• 4 weeks later...

Go to Crucial and run their Checker to see what your options are for increasing RAM on your system.

Also install Core Temp to see what is happening - just uninstall it later if you don't like it.

you should also look into panda cloud antivirus.  Its probably the lightest free antivirus out and gets good reviews

http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/

avast used to keep bringing pop ups on my screen every minute, which was annoying. I use panda now, which is supposedly very light on memory usage, something to do with it being cloud based iirc.

If you are using the 64bit version on an older machine, try using the 32 bit version.  Especially with just 2 GB RAM.   Also try running from the run prompt  ( start , then the blank box ) MSCONFIG.  See what is stating up everytime you start your PC.  If you are unsure what eveything is don't worry just select disable all and then re check your A/V program.  Windows always takes what it needs to start up.  A lot of apps will place themselves in start up without letting you know.  HP printer software for example, skype, adobe, just to name a few.  Unless you are really using them each and everytime when you 1st start your PC they are just eating resources.

For an A/V  I would say if you are looking at free then try the Microsoft Security Essentials.  Not a resource hog and just as effective as any other freebie out there.  You may want to run a quick malware scan also.  I can not say enough good about Malwarebytes anti malware.  It also has a free version.  Don't know if posting the URL is allowed but if you google it  use their website not some others.

Archived