IGNORED

Employer monitoring of off-server PA surfing?

BigBangkokTheory

I surf PA using my company-issued laptop and web browser (probably not a first :Clap8: ), but always outside of the office and whilst not connected to the company server. I surf it using my personal ISP (although my mobile broadband ISP is reimbursed by the company).

I try to clear my history, temp files, and cookies each time before I log back on the company server, but sometimes I forget. Also, I frequently have PA threads bookmarked in my favorites. And, everything on my laptop is backed up on the company server each week. I do not download anything from PA.

So my question is...do companies that monitor employee web-browsing typcially monitor the browsing activity that takes place outside of the server? If so, how does it work? I work for a huge organization if that helps.

(is lightning going to strike as I post this...LOL)

thanks,

BBT

I am addicted to Pattaya Addicts, View New Content

You're probably OK, but there's several potential points of exposure. The primary one would be those company backups which would likely save your favorites and possibly your history, cookies, and temp files. Remember that although you don't explicitly download anything, all the images from those "trusted member" pages wind up in your temp files.

Normally, your company should not be able to track what you do through your own ISP, except as stated above. However, if it's a company issued computer, they could have put logging software on the computer which surreptitiously records your actions. That's unlikely, but you never know.

At a minimum, I'd be extra vigilant about wiping favorites, history, cookies, and temps EVERY time! Just like bagging up every time...

But your best bet would be to use a USB drive based browser, so that ALL the traces are on YOUR USB drive and not the laptop. Have a look at this Portable Apps Suite.

Edited by Touchagrey

Thanks for the advice...that confirms what I suspected in terms of the exposure. I will clean my tracks & hopefully nothing will happen (knock knock ) :Bye5:

Heaven knows what kind of filth is back up on servers of the world's employers...LOL...I guess it is just so much white noise until someone wants to investigate :D

There was a clip on the telly yesterday that said Google saves all of your search terms....FOREVER!

Edited by BigBangkokTheory

• 1 month later...

Excellent advice from Touchagrey. If you are in any way concerned about privacy, use USB browser.

Excellent advice from Touchagrey. If you are in any way concerned about privacy, use USB browser.

I think the only 100% safe way would be to use your own PC. I have known company laptops have keyloggers installed, just depends how vigilant/vindictive/paranoid an employer.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Very good idea on the USB-based browser. Also, install and use a program like CCLeaner. You can find it for free on the internet. It does a much more thorough job of deleting temporary files, caches, histories, etc.

LM

or if your a right geek install Linx on a partition and use that to surf the net

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent advice from Touchagrey. Portable apps is excellent - lots of stuff - firefox, open office, etc. You can also use it to access internet cafe computers. Also, I'd recommend buying a cheap laptop to take to LOS or don't take one at all. US Immigration can now snag them at will, have a computer forensics expert look over everythng, and give it back to you when they feel like it. Would be kind of hard to explain at work. I guess they feel like: single male travelling for a couple of weeks to Thailand; let's try to catch a pedo.

• 1 month later...

Problem solved: I just bought a new laptop! :P