Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Help me figure out how stupid I was

ludwighigh

As I understand it, thai2english.com provides this translation for ผัว:

ผัว      pŭa       husband  (This is a colloquial term, สามี is the more polite equivalent.)

Is there any context where this is used in normal thai conversation where this means anything other than husband (for example, referring to a serious boyfriend and not literally a husband)?

I'll tell the story if someone helps me clear this up.

In Isaan, at least, it is very common to refer to one's boyfriend as "Husband", especially if they live together same as man and wife.

Likewise, you will hear people calling others "Mother", "GrandMother" "Uncle" etc when they are not related although these terms are used much more loosely than "Husband" as the man and woman would have to really be the same as a married couple, just without the marriage.

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

Yes, pua is often used without a real legal marriage, as husband is used in English in the same way.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived