IGNORED

How to change DNS

Ikkyu-San

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone could help me out. My internet connection seems to have gotten slower and slower over the past few weeks. I read somewhere that changing DNS could fix the problem. I can find a new address for DNS but dont know how to actually change mine. All help greatly appreciated....

What is DNS ?

Changing the Dynamic Name Server

Go to Control Panel>Network Connections and select your local network.

Click Properties, then select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

Click Properties.

You will see a window - this is the Internet Protocol window. Select "Use the following DNS server addresses" and enter the desired DNS server(s) in the space(s) provided.

If it floats, flies or fucks, RENT IT!!!!! "He who hesitates, masturbates"

Changing the Dynamic Name Server

Go to Control Panel>Network Connections and select your local network.

Click Properties, then select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

Click Properties.

You will see a window - this is the Internet Protocol window. Select "Use the following DNS server addresses" and enter the desired DNS server(s) in the space(s) provided.

Thank you fritzzz25. Hopefully I will now get a decent connection.

Happy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi friend,

Go to Control Panel>Network Connections and select your local network.Click Properties, then select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).Click Properties. Now you canchange your DNS server.

When you get into the settings section as noted above use the following DNS Servers for OpenDNS

I strongly recommend to everyone to use this service.

kamagrauk.co.uk-banner-monthly-international-120x60.gif

use_opendns_155x52.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

To clarify your situation.

How is your internet connection being slow? Are you having slow download speeds? Or do you spend a lot of time surfing the web, and you're seeing the phrase "waiting to connect to xxx.xx.com" or "connecting to xxx.xx.com" at the bottom of your web browser?

Changing your DNS servers will not help with any of those situations.

All the DNS server does, is help your computer look up the ip address (to simply it) of the server you are looking to go to. eg: It translates www.yahoo.com into 69.147.76.15

Typically, both your computer, and your wireless router (if you use one) store a cache of the most frequent sites you visit, thus that translation from name into number is instant. In addition, your isp will tell your computer to use it's own dns servers first (in 99.99% of all cases) because these are the closest servers in terms of proximity to your own connection, and thus will give you the fastest reply of any lookup.

Changing your dns servers to another server that is say on the other side of the world, will actually greatly slow down your lookup speeds and slow down your internet connection. (unless of course your isp's servers are screwed up, in which case changing your dns servers is a good idea).

A slow internet connection is first most likely due to congestion on your isp's part (is your connection faster in the early morning hours when internet traffic is lower?), or spyware etc on your own computer.

cheers

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone could help me out. My internet connection seems to have gotten slower and slower over the past few weeks. I read somewhere that changing DNS could fix the problem. I can find a new address for DNS but dont know how to actually change mine. All help greatly appreciated....

"He's the kind of a guy who lights up a room just by flicking a switch."

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents."

- Nathaniel Borenstein

• 1 year later...