IGNORED

Camera or Smart Phone Camera?

lookinglooking

Hi all,

Going on holiday with friends to Thailand in a few weeks. I'm buying a Samsung Galaxy S5 this week and I'm wondering will this suffice instead of bringing a separate camera? At 16MP the S5 will have a better pixel count that my camera so not sure if I want the extra weight in suitcase of an additional camera. Will be doing a small amount of sightseeing.

Any suggestions much appreciated, thanks.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

just use your phone...its always handy in your pocket and the pictures will be decent...ive lost count of the number of times when out with fellow mongers they say I wish I had my camera with me because their phone is not up to the job,but yours is!!!!

mines a old sony with a 12.1 mpixel camera ,its been a god send...the only drawback is Im always designated resident photographer

Very much up to you and what your aim is regarding photography.

For random happy snaps and ease of access you can't really beat a modern 'phone and the quality of pictures is more than adequate in most situations.  If you want access to more options, take a lot of pic's in low light without flash etc, then you step up a level and take a reasonable camera along too.  A camera of decent size is also easier to grip and hold steady, which again can be a useful asset.

I have a shite 'phone for walking around Pattaya with, and a decent DSLR which fits into an innocuous little satchel.  Having the option to change lenses, add polarising filters etc, and take high-qual photo's without using a flash appeals to me personally.  Not everyone is the same.

It will also boil down to what type of camera you have and how much junk you want to carry around with you.  I always have a bag slung over my shoulder when I'm in town, some BM's only like to carry what they can fit into a pair of shorts.

So, happy snaps - use the 'phone, if you want more eloquent photography then you need a camera.

Cheers

Perthie

Perthie's PA Bash and Bikini/Glow Party 19th May 2017.  Bikini clad girls in body paint, great food including pig roast, free shots, games and prizes for the lads and lasses.

6pm onwards at Sexy In The City (Soi 6) under the hosting expertise of the magnificent Xylanic.

does your camera have adequate zoom? does the s5 have good zoom? that would be something to consider

Hi all,

Going on holiday with friends to Thailand in a few weeks. I'm buying a Samsung Galaxy S5 this week and I'm wondering will this suffice instead of bringing a separate camera? At 16MP the S5 will have a better pixel count that my camera so not sure if I want the extra weight in suitcase of an additional camera. Will be doing a small amount of sightseeing.

Any suggestions much appreciated, thanks.

The number of pixels doesn't stand for picture quality but mainly about the picture size .

A good lens , quick accurate autofocus and the right software are much more important .  

An S5 will make a decent pic during daytime but is a bit slow with focusing and getting

the flash ready making pics at night . 

A $100 compact will usually make better photos . Buy a cheap telephone for Pattaya

and you can let your $600 S5 at home . 

Don't be fooled by the pixel count. What is important is the size of the sensor, the quality of the lens etc. The bigger the sensor the better as each pixel will be able to capture more light before becoming saturated. A camera with a lower pixel count but bigger sensor will give you better pictures especially in more demanding situations.

smart phones are generally OK for photos where there is lots of light, ie, outdoors on a sunny day on the beach etc. They are not so good indoors or in dark situations.

If you pay more you will get better pictures but it depends on what value you place on that. If you say how much you want to spend and what you want to capture (landscapes, TG, night shots, zoom etc) people will be able to recommend suitable cameras at the price you want.

Yes, the lack of a flash can be a hassle if you take pics in low light.,I have an Ipad2 and the camera is Shit !! I always take my 14pixel pocket camera with me.

The camera in the S5 has gotten a lot of positive press - for a phone camera it's an exceptional phone camera.

I take most of my photos with an S2. The simple fact is that the very best camera to use is the one you have with you. I always have my phone with me. My "pocket" camera is a Nikon P7000, so it's a bit big for a pocket camera, but it takes great shots. I've got two dSLRs; a D70 and a D300s that both take outstanding photos (I buy good glass) but they are big enough I only take them when I'm taking planned photos. Besides, in Pattaya I don't want to look like an Eastern European Tourist. :-)

So, how much stuff do you want to drag around? I haven't bothered to carry a wallet since I moved to Thailand. My goal is to get the crap in my pockets to an absolute minimum. My advice would be to keep it simple and just use your phone.

Sent from my too expensive Samsung tablet.

i have a S3 , my phone contract is coming to an end soon and i will upgrade to an S4 , according to a lot of people the difference between the S4 and the S5 , is not worth the extra money , my S3 takes great pics

"And were you pleased?" they asked Helen in Hell.

"Pleased?" answered she,when all Troy's towers fell;

And dead were Priam´s sons, and lost his throne?

And such a war was fought as none had known;

And even the Gods took part; and all because

Of me alone! Pleased?

I should say I was!"

Lord Dunsany

I have an s4.

its good enough in most situations, but not as good as a dedicted camera, depending on your camera of course.

simple answer~ take both, after first day review your phone snaps, and change to camera, after second day review your camera snaps, then decide.

job done.

your luggage should be light anyway. shorts, sandels and shirts do not weigh anything.

sandelsyou can buy there for 80baht.

trust me, no~one cares about designer labels! sometimes i dont know why i bother taking any luggage, i buy shower gel, shampoo etc etc when i arrive.

Thanks for the advice everyone. From the comments above I think I'll take both. I'll use the S5 for keeping in contact with home and for daytime snaps suitable for Facebook :-) I'll use camera for the serious pics and might even use old phone for the heavy nights on the booze! Not much in the suitcase anyways except a few changes of clothes and a bag of whey protein powder so should be well under the 20kg limit for the flight. Think my record was 9kg luggage last time I went! :-)

your luggage should be light anyway. shorts, sandels and shirts do not weigh anything.

sandelsyou can buy there for 80baht.

trust me, no~one cares about designer labels! sometimes i dont know why i bother taking any luggage, i buy shower gel, shampoo etc etc when i arrive.

That's true, I usually buy or take cheap clothes. They are gonna be washed and worn so much over the month that I just bin them before I fly back.

Will be straight to 7/11 for the toiletries too

• 3 weeks later...

I take a phone and camera. 

I would be happier to lose or break a small point and shoot (maybe a Canon S100)  than carry my smartphone around all night.

I wear cargo shorts and can fit a S100 easily without the worry of a phone and the consequences of losing it etc.

I take a phone and camera. 

I would be happier to lose or break a small point and shoot (maybe a Canon S100)  than carry my smartphone around all night.

I wear cargo shorts and can fit a S100 easily without the worry of a phone and the consequences of losing it etc.

I do the exact same, I always carry my S100 with me, but go to the phone for quick daytime snaps. I'm have an S3 now, will move up to the S4 before my next trip in the fall.

I'd rather have the camera I need for the situation myself.

I tend to carry my phone and a small pocket camera, a Canon Ixus 255 for its outstanding pictures, price and portability and I have a DSLR for when I want to take high quality pictures.

As often said, better have it and not need it then need it and not have it :GoldenSmile1:

• 10 months later...

use a nikon d90 at the condo and home and the s4 ph on the piss for obvious reasons,the d90 has a big sensor which is king in low light situations.

Since i lost one and had another 1 stolen. I use the phone - camera is extra baggage for me to carry round and look after. 

• 4 weeks later...

Choice of camera or phone comes down to what you want to with the pics afterwards. If you just want to stick them on facebook or a forum then use a smart phone in most circumstances it won’t make much difference.

The major difference between a phone and a camera is the size of lens and sensor, forget the megapixel count it really doesn’t matter. On a phone you generally have a small piece of plastic in front of a small sensor as the lens.This is fine in normal daylight but the main reason why you want a bigger lens is for when the light is less than full daylight.

It’s a simple formula. The less light there is means you need more lens and a better sensor. The more "glass" in your lens and the bigger the sensor the more likely you can cope with less than ideal lighting.

That’s why top DSLRS are still so big, it doesn't matter how many megapixels it’s all about how good the glass is and how much light it will let in that gives you a better picture. A much higher megapixel count just gives you more detail in a picture which if it is dark and blurred is not that important :)

If you want to print anything that is over A4 size or you want to a lot of pictures in dark places (ie not in daylight) then use a camera, otherwise stick with the convenience of a phone.

I’m a photographer by trade so feel free to ask if you need any tips or advice, always happy to help.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png                                                                                      

• 5 weeks later...

I think for pictures modern phones are good enough, most are HD. 

But what about videos? What is the best phone for videos.

Dont want to start a new thread.

• 1 year later...

Archived