IGNORED

The various types of fuel available for cars/MCs in Thailand

The Sly Fox

Could somebody please explain to me about the various types of fuel available for cars/MCs in Thailand. What are the differences between these fuels and what type of vehicles are they for?

Gasohol 91
Gasohol 95
Gasohol E20
Gasohol E85

Blue Diesel
HyForce Premium Diesel

For example if I bought a new Diesel pickup like the D-Max Spark would it use the Blue Diesel or the HyForce Premium Diesel?

If I bought a new Honda 125cc Honda MC which of the 4 types of Gasohol would I be using?

I hope these are not dumb questions but I'm very limited in my knowledge of mechanical matters and as I'm considering buying a new vehicle soon I want to get as much knowledge onboard before buying.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

My motorcyle can and does use either one of these:

Gasohol 91
Gasohol 95

standard diesel vs premium

e rating  is ethanol content I think

Member since Dec 06.

Firstly i think Blue Diesel is a form of Marijuana so don't put that in anything! 

The "ohol" means alcohol percentage as a substitute for petrol/gasoline. Modern Honda motorcycles can use up to 20%  The 91 and 95 are octane ratings  So you can use 91 or 95 ( both  E10) or E20. Alcohol has less energy so you will use more but it costs less so you'll have to experiment. Some engines need 91 octane some 95 but you don't get any more power by using 95 instead of 91 . (turbo engines excluded)

So Honda 125? Either Gasohol 91 or E20 will be fine.

E85 is 85% alcohol and can only be used if the engine is designed for it. 

The 48.75 price on the gas station list is for 100%? gasoline/petrol with 95 octane rating. I use that sometimes 50/50 in my old two stroke motorbike as it has carburetors that don't like 10% alcohol. You get more power/mileage with 100% gasoline but it costs more. 

The diesel truck can use any diesel. Hyperpower or V-Power are trade names for diesel with cleansing additives and are thus more expensive. If it costs more than 29.85 b/litre it is Hyperpower or V-Power. Some people claim their truck runs better the more they pay for fuel. Again you'll have to experiment to see which returns the best economy, assuming that is what you are looking for when you buy a diesel truck. Some use V-Power say 1 tank in 4 or so to keep the fuel system in peak condition. Others do not.

Mercedes and BMW and others have what is called AdBlue. This is a urea based additive in a separate tank that is injected into the exhaust to reduce emissions.

The use of the colour blue is now the new green (for the environment).

Firstly i think Blue Diesel is a form of Marijuana so don't put that in anything! 

The "ohol" means alcohol percentage as a substitute for petrol/gasoline. Modern Honda motorcycles can use up to 20%  The 91 and 95 are octane ratings  So you can use 91 or 95 ( both  E10) or E20. Alcohol has less energy so you will use more but it costs less so you'll have to experiment. Some engines need 91 octane some 95 but you don't get any more power by using 95 instead of 91 . (turbo engines excluded)

So Honda 125? Either Gasohol 91 or E20 will be fine.

E85 is 85% alcohol and can only be used if the engine is designed for it. 

The 48.75 price on the gas station list is for 100%? gasoline/petrol with 95 octane rating. I use that sometimes 50/50 in my old two stroke motorbike as it has carburetors that don't like 10% alcohol. You get more power/mileage with 100% gasoline but it costs more. 

The diesel truck can use any diesel. Hyperpower or V-Power are trade names for diesel with cleansing additives and are thus more expensive. If it costs more than 29.85 b/litre it is Hyperpower or V-Power. Some people claim their truck runs better the more they pay for fuel. Again you'll have to experiment to see which returns the best economy, assuming that is what you are looking for when you buy a diesel truck. Some use V-Power say 1 tank in 4 or so to keep the fuel system in peak condition. Others do not.

Mercedes and BMW and others have what is called AdBlue. This is a urea based additive in a separate tank that is injected into the exhaust to reduce emissions.

The use of the colour blue is now the new green (for the environment).

Good info, many thanks. So if I bought a new D-Max Spark, which I'm seriously considering doing, it makes no difference at all which diesel fuel I put into it? If that's the case I would go for the cheaper option and as you suggest every now and then add a tank of the more expensive stuff with additives.

What about Mitsubishi > Triton Single Cab > 2.4 GL (BENZENE) MT

Can this engine use any of these cheaper fuels?

Gasohol 91
Gasohol 95
Gasohol E20
Gasohol E85

• 2 months later...

Yes, you can use 91 - I have the same Triton and do so. But since mine has NGV as well, I use from time to time Gasoline 95, the yellow one for around 45 Baht a liter. Gasoline have better additives, but 91 is ok, even without NGV/CNG.

Yes, you can use 91 - I have the same Triton and do so. But since mine has NGV as well, I use from time to time Gasoline 95, the yellow one for around 45 Baht a liter. Gasoline have better additives, but 91 is ok, even without NGV/CNG.

Thanks yourmy. I ended up buying the Triton benzene ute and love it. So very happy to have such a nice new car at such a low price. I've been running it on E20 at about 34Bt a litre and it sure runs well.

Archived