IGNORED

Motorcycle - looking for Honda CBR 250

southsidebruce

I just started looking for a motorcycle to tool around on here in Pattaya.  I read in multiple bike reviews that the Honda CBRs are a really good, decent performing all-around bike in the category they are in.  How much does one of them go for in Pattaya?  I am interested in finding out about new and used prices.  I see them in the States going for $4500-$5000...

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

:GrinNod1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :24:

I just started looking for a motorcycle to tool around on here in Pattaya.  I read in multiple bike reviews that the Honda CBRs are a really good, decent performing all-around bike in the category they are in.  How much does one of them go for in Pattaya?  I am interested in finding out about new and used prices.  I see them in the States going for $4500-$5000...

Just read a review of 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 versus a Honda CBR 250 and the review favored the Ninja.  Priced a new 2013 Ninja 300 online and I see one for $5,499 (178,167 THB) in the States...  I assume there is a substantial markUP on these bikes here in Thailand...

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

The new CBR250s are only about 120,000 baht here $3,700 and the new CBR300 is i think 136,000. A good price for the machine.

Just a word of caution, many travel insurance policies only cover to a maximum of 125cc.

Just read a review of 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 versus a Honda CBR 250 and the review favored the Ninja.  Priced a new 2013 Ninja 300 online and I see one for $5,499 (178,167 THB) in the States...  I assume there is a substantial markUP on these bikes here in Thailand...

2013 is new?

Kawasakis are manufactured/assembled in Thailand so there's no Import Duty if that's what you Mean?

I don't know current prices - just need to walk in Mityon Kawasaki on Sukhimvit - second hand ones there too.

The new CBR250s are only about 120,000 baht here $3,700 and the new CBR300 is i think 136,000. A good price for the machine.

I think you're talking about the bog standard 250? Not exactly an exciting bike, especially compared with a Ninja.

Get RoadWarrior on here, but I think you need to be looking at the 250R.

Come to that, ask him when his rental is up and you might be able to buy his - it's barely run in.   :LOL2:

Just a word of caution, many travel insurance policies only cover to a maximum of 125cc.

Travel insurance - for health insurance, in case you crash?  I have health insurance through a US company through my former government employer, and I don't think it matters to them what I am driving if I get into an accident... I will look into insurance to cover the motorcycle (and to cover liability/etc), etc if I end up going with a fairly nice/relatively expensive one... 

yes, for medical cover. Many countries health insurance doesn't cover you overseas (Australia is one) so folks buy travel insurance. I just get the basic, which is medical only and when I checked the price and exclusions clauses on six companies some did not cover riding bikes. some wanted a valid licence either in the issuing country or the holiday country and NONE covered over 125cc.

When I bought my bike in Thailand the seller offered me insurance. I later found out that this only covered theft, not damage to the bike or other property. You will need to arrange this yourself, I used the German-swiss group in Naklua road.

I was waiting and waiting and waiting for a CBR 300. I think I'd still be waiting if I hadn't just bitten the bullet and bought a CB 500x (msrp 215000 baht) I still have my PCX 150, which I consider the perfect Pattaya bike. However, for getting out on the highway on a 'real' motorcycle, the 500x is pretty sweet.

Lots of Thai insurance companies will sell you 1st or 2nd class insurance on however many cc's you buy. The 3rd class insurance you get with vehicle registration is crap.

Oh, Honda Big Wing is on Sukhumvit between Pattaya Tai and Pattaya Klang, beach side of the road incase you want a test sit. :-)

One last oh by the way. I don't know how old you are. I'm far closer to 60 than I am to 50. My neck and wrists thank me every day for not buying a lean over bike like a CBR or Ninja. The PCX is an upright riding position, like the CB 500x or for a 250, the CRF 250m. Us old guys appreciate riding upright. :-)

One last oh by the way. I don't know how old you are. I'm far closer to 60 than I am to 50. My neck and wrists thank me every day for not buying a lean over bike like a CBR or Ninja. The PCX is an upright riding position, like the CB 500x or for a 250, the CRF 250m. Us old guys appreciate riding upright. :-)

555. I agree with you on that one. I had a GSXR750 here in Australia, but my arms and "balls" hurt so much I traded it for a cruiser. I'm nowhere near 60. 555

12 Pints in Know it all

I learned to ride on a CBR250 back in the mid-90's.

It's a great little bike.

:)

Garzan - thanks for the info!  I am old as dirt (headN, plummeting, rapidly toward 59 years old)... I have never ridden a motorcycle or motor scooter... So, appreciate recommendations for 1st time rider for an oldPhart like me... Maybe the recommendation is - STAY AWAY, STAY FAR AWAY from riding bikes in Pattaya, unless it is on the back of a professional rider (aka, a motorcycle taxi driver)... PCX - that is the somewhat big/bulky motor scooter I have seen on the roads, right?  CB500X CRF250m - just did a google search on the CRF250m and it looks REAL nice... looks like the dirt bikes that buds of mine when I was growing up would buy...  do you know the MSRP of the CRF250M here in Thailand?  I see 2014 CRF250L's on cycletrader.com going for between $5,000 and $7,500 - guess the higher end ones are trickedOUT with titanium this&that parts... maybe for a first time rider I should look at the PCX motorscooter, versus a fullON, ballz2TheWall motorcycle?

Garzan - thanks for the info!  I am old as dirt (headN, plummeting, rapidly toward 59 years old)... I have never ridden a motorcycle or motor scooter... So, appreciate recommendations for 1st time rider for an oldPhart like me... Maybe the recommendation is - STAY AWAY, STAY FAR AWAY from riding bikes in Pattaya, unless it is on the back of a professional rider (aka, a motorcycle taxi driver)... PCX - that is the somewhat big/bulky motor scooter I have seen on the roads, right?  CB500X CRF250m - just did a google search on the CRF250m and it looks REAL nice... looks like the dirt bikes that buds of mine when I was growing up would buy...  do you know the MSRP of the CRF250M here in Thailand?  I see 2014 CRF250L's on cycletrader.com going for between $5,000 and $7,500 - guess the higher end ones are trickedOUT with titanium this&that parts... maybe for a first time rider I should look at the PCX motorscooter, versus a fullON, ballz2TheWall motorcycle?

This is what the blurb for the new 2014 CRF250L says on the cycletrader.com Web site (going for $7,599):  2014 Honda CRF250R, All New! - The New CRF250R. The Best Just Got Better. The best-handling bike in the 250 class just got a whole lot better. That’s because Honda’s CRF250R is all new for 2014, with a major emphasis on doing what a 250 does best: offer precise, nimble, tack-sharp handling. So what did we do? First, we gave it our new, low-CG aluminum frame. Next, there's an updated fork, a new swingarm, a new shock and new linkage ratio. Finally, we added our patented dual-muffler exhaust – all of these come together to make the new CRF250R handle better than ever. We didn't stop there. Engine changes include a new, high-compression piston, new cylinder head and porting, a lighter radiator and new dual-stage fuel injection timing that offers crisp low to mid range power. Add it all up and you can see that the bike that Wil Hahn rode to win the 2013 250SX East title is even better for 2014!

...................... I have never ridden a motorcycle or motor scooter... ..........................

Are you serious?

I wouldn't say stay away - I'm older than you and I'd be lost without my bikes (Suzuki Raider R150 & Kawasaki 250 D-Tracker) but Pattaya is probably not the best place to learn.

Why are you looking at buying something with clutch and gears rather than renting an Auto scooter for a while to see how you get on?

If you buy one now I'd bet you change your ideas within a few months.

I think the CRF 250m is around 130000 baht.

So, my recommendation to a new rider is go to someone like BM Kessaya who rents a variety of Scooters. Rent one for a month, change to a different one for a month. Repeat until you find something you really like. :-)

And my biased opinion on riding a scooter in Pattaya - I know my level of imparement. I don't know how much yaba or lao khow the motorbike taxi driver has had that morning. Besides, as a resident, it allows you a much greater range for exploring.

........................... I have never ridden a motorcycle or motor scooter... So, appreciate recommendations for 1st time rider ..............................

One more point, given the above you will therefore not be able to get a M/C IDP from your home country, so what are your plans for being legally licenced (and therefore insured) pending being capable of passing your test to get a Thai DL?

Are you serious?

I wouldn't say stay away - I'm older than you and I'd be lost without my bikes (Suzuki Raider R150 & Kawasaki 250 D-Tracker) but Pattaya is probably not the best place to learn.

Why are you looking at buying something with clutch and gears rather than renting an Auto scooter for a while to see how you get on?

If you buy one now I'd bet you change your ideas within a few months.

OK - thanks for the advice... not sure if you think that my ideas would change to where I REALLY liked riding or REALLY hated it, in that Pattaya is not the best place to learn...

One more point, given the above you will therefore not be able to get a M/C IDP from your home country, so what are your plans for being legally licenced (and therefore insured) pending being capable of passing your test to get a Thai DL?

thanks for that additional advice...

I would never do this, but I have heard said (in Thailand) that it is possible to acquire a motorcycle stamp on an International Drivers Permit, and thus be able to get a Thai license that allows you to drive a motorscooter/motorcycle... I totally do NOT condone such nefarious activity... but it has been said... 

OK - thanks for the advice... not sure if you think that my ideas would change to where I REALLY liked riding or REALLY hated it, in that Pattaya is not the best place to learn...

Well they might do but really I meant that your ideas on which bike suited you would change.

Back in the UK a 250 might be considered a learner bike but here an Auto svcooter is much more suitable.

As Garzon said consider renting from Kessaya but also consider your DL situation.

thanks for that additional advice...

I would never do this, but I have heard said (in Thailand) that it is possible to acquire a motorcycle stamp on an International Drivers Permit, and thus be able to get a Thai license that allows you to drive a motorscooter/motorcycle... I totally do NOT condone such nefarious activity... but it has been said...

You have to get the IDP from your home country so I assume youre talking about getting it altered here but you should produce your home DL along with the IDP which wont have the m/c category......might depend on your luck.....dunno.

I just dont think it would be very sensible for a learner to be tottering round here on a Ninja 300.

I just dont think it would be very sensible for a learner to be tottering round here on a Ninja 300.

Same here.  Good advice.

Stevie

I think the CRF 250m is around 130000 baht.

So, my recommendation to a new rider is go to someone like BM Kessaya who rents a variety of scooters. Rent one for a month, change to a different one for a month. Repeat until you find something you really like. :-)

I wrote kessaya an email message and he promptly replied and said they don't rent to total novices... can't blame them for that position... will consider other options... thanks for recommending kessaya and based on the testimonials, the place seems like an awesome place to rent a scooter...

Another option is that Kessaya, along with other bike vendors sell off their old stock. I've bought two used Scooters from Kessaya and both have been great. As a total novice, perhaps a 15k - 20k baht scooter would be the way to go for a learning bike.

Archived