IGNORED

Flying from LAX to BKK with extra bags and a golf bag?

chang beer

Hey. I've traveled extensively to Thailand in the last 16 years but NEVER like this. As I am retiring there I'm going to have extra bags with me.

Have always just flew there with a small 22 incher carry on and a huge back pack for all of mine important stuff like laptop and electronics,cameras and so forth.

Went to Thai and China Air websites but they are kind of difficult to decipher.

I'm going to be traveling with a 29 inch and 27 inch hard shell luggage bags with a back pack and a GOLF BAG with clubs.

I'm aware that the charges are made depending on the weight but I don't have much in those larger luggage bags the 29 and 27 inch.. just clothes. Heavier stuff are in my back pack. the laptops,cameras etc.

What in your estimate...guestmate  of additional charges incurred by the extra bags for my flight on an economy class?

thank you

newcastle BEER

Most of the US carriers have started to charge for any checked luggage and it can be expensive.  You will like get charged for each individual bag you check then a special charge on top of that for the golf clubs. 

If you are traveling with China Airlines, Thai Airways, or another International airline they will either include the weight of the golf bag and determin if you owe extra money for being overweight on luggage or will charge you a special fee for the golf bag only.  Best thing is to call the reservations line of the airline and ask....or check out flyertalk.com to see if anyone has posted a similar question for the airline you plan to fly.

Once when I was travelling from Madrid to Lima with an extra suitcase full of heavy christmas presents ,,, The day before my flight I went to the Iberia Cargo warehouse at a different part of the airport, just to see if it was any cheaper.

Its clearly a popular trick with regular travellers.. as soon as I walked in thr pointed to a scale, then gave me paperwork and took the bag..

I forget the price now, it was years ago.. but was much better than checking it in.

you have to collect bag from cargo warehouse not baggage reclaim

A bit of a pain I guess but you can take 5 or 6 suitcases this way

You do know your golf clubs is a set price item... not weight.. you can stuff the golf bag with clothes

Most of the US carriers have started to charge for any checked luggage and it can be expensive.  You will like get charged for each individual bag you check then a special charge on top of that for the golf clubs. 

If you are traveling with China Airlines, Thai Airways, or another International airline they will either include the weight of the golf bag and determin if you owe extra money for being overweight on luggage or will charge you a special fee for the golf bag only.  Best thing is to call the reservations line of the airline and ask....or check out flyertalk.com to see if anyone has posted a similar question for the airline you plan to fly.

you get two free checked bags when flying international...  50 pound limit per bag, pretty sure...

you get two free checked bags when flying international...  50 pound limit per bag, pretty sure...

Not any more with some US carriers...American Airlines now charges for a second bag on international flights that are going to, or routed through Europe.  I'm sure this will soon apply to trans pacific flights as well knowing the trend towards more fees.

Once when I was travelling from Madrid to Lima with an extra suitcase full of heavy christmas presents ,,, The day before my flight I went to the Iberia Cargo warehouse at a different part of the airport, just to see if it was any cheaper.

Its clearly a popular trick with regular travellers.. as soon as I walked in thr pointed to a scale, then gave me paperwork and took the bag..

I forget the price now, it was years ago.. but was much better than checking it in.

you have to collect bag from cargo warehouse not baggage reclaim

A bit of a pain I guess but you can take 5 or 6 suitcases this way

I don't think this option is available any more for flights that originate the US since you need to be a certified cargo company in order to ship cargo directly with the airline...I think this was one of the post-9/11 security changes.

Not any more with some US carriers...American Airlines now charges for a second bag on international flights that are going to, or routed through Europe.  I'm sure this will soon apply to trans pacific flights as well knowing the trend towards more fees.

5 trips in the last two years from the west coast, two free bags on all of them... United, EVA, Air China, and trip 6 with Delta on wednesday...  all two free checked.

5 trips in the last two years from the west coast, two free bags on all of them... United, EVA, Air China, and trip 6 with Delta on wednesday...  all two free checked.

One trip two weeks ago that involved American Airlines and was told this was the new policy for flights to or transiting through Europe (could impact people going from th East Coast to Asia via Europe).  Thankfully I had elite status with one of their partners in oneworld so I was spared the charge for the second bag.

Again, this doesn't impact Trans Pacific flights for carriers yet but it is only a matter of time before US carriers start imposing fees for checked bags on all international flights.  Always best to check their website or call in advance if in doubt.

Just going to pay extra for golf case. Probably $50.

No need to put the heavy items in your luggage. I put my small laptop and my small camera in a shoulder computer carry bag and take it onboard. I also take a small carryon case as well. Never had a problem with this, its no different to a lady having carryon bag and a large handbag. They Re probably safer with you anyway.

Have you thought about shipping stuff to your destination rather than going the luggage route? Especially if weight is going to be an issue, that may well work out as a better deal for you.

StrikeEagle
"When you care enough to send the Best in the World"

Pussy Prices IMO, Beach Road (Coconut Bar) ST 500 - 800; LT 1000-1500, May be similar in Bamboo and PBG or slightly dearer: Bars and some massage places, bar fine 300-400; ST 800 - 1000; LT 1000-2000, may be cheaper later in the evening: Agogos, bar fine ST 700 - 1000 bar fine  LT 1500 ST 1500-2000, LT 2000-3500: IBar, Insomnia, other Discos, early  expensive getting cheaper as sunrise approaches but 1000-3000 depending: Feel free to PM me with updates

• 2 weeks later...

Last two trips with golf bag from US was a $200 extra bag fee as I already had 2 pieces of luggage.  Was asked more than once whether there were any things in there other than clubs and golf equipment.  I had to admit that it contained clothes and some other assorted items so they charged me for an oversized extra bag. Since it was heavy I expect they would have made me open it if the answer was not to their expectations.  If you check the airline's websites they will probably state what items (limited things) are permitted in a golf travel bag counted as luggage.  Best to check to avoid an issue at the airport when you have few options.

Common sense is not very common.

Best to check to avoid an issue at the airport when you have few options.

Definitely agree.  Also print out the page with the airline rules as sometimes the people at the counter are not aware of them and couldn't be bothered to check unless you show them printed proof (had this happen recently).

Correct it is still 2 bag each 50 lbs between US and South America and US and Asia (Pacific).

Add to that a carry on, plus a personal item like a computer bag.

Traveling to or via Europe is different

Correct it is still 2 bag each 50 lbs between US and South America and US and Asia (Pacific).

Add to that a carry on, plus a personal item like a computer bag.

Traveling to or via Europe is different

delta is now one free bag, second bag 100 bucks. to bkk from west coast.

delta is now one free bag, second bag 100 bucks. to bkk from west coast.

Yep, I stand corrected.

It changed after May 2, 14

Archived