Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Hopf

Needed a pizza yesterday so I thought I would try Hopf Brew House. Its a large microbrewery and restaurant on the corner of soi 13/1 and Beach Road. I ordered a pizza and 0.5l of their own lager. The lager was quite pleasant with a slight yeasty flavour reminiscent of most home brews. The pizza arrived, thin and crispy just as I like it, unfortunately it tasted very bland with almost no flavour. There were no herbs or parmesan on the table to pep it up a bit. Got the bill to find they had added 10% service charge then another 7% tax on top of the both the food/drink and service charge. This place appears to be a bit of a tourist trap. Recommendation? Go somewhere else.

As you stated this is a tourist trap. A lot of jap, china, ruskie tourist groups go there. Their pizza 2 years ago was pretty good, but recently it is as you say "tasteless". Their house brew used to be my favorite, but last time it tasted watered down with a fruity aftertaste.

As you stated this is a tourist trap. A lot of jap, china, ruskie tourist groups go there. Their pizza 2 years ago was pretty good, but recently it is as you say "tasteless". Their house brew used to be my favorite, but last time it tasted watered down with a fruity aftertaste.

Even 2 years ago, it was a big disappointment. They are supposed to serve Neopolitan crust, and I was served the soggiest pizza I have ever seen. Had they left it out in the storm we had recently, it would have been crispier than the pizza I was served. For Neopolitan-crust pizza, I like Pizza, Pizza by Janee in Avenue Pattaya.

Even 2 years ago, it was a big disappointment. They are supposed to serve Neopolitan crust, and I was served the soggiest pizza I have ever seen. Had they left it out in the storm we had recently, it would have been crispier than the pizza I was served. For Neopolitan-crust pizza, I like Pizza, Pizza by Janee in Avenue Pattaya.

Read more about the adventures of zaphodbeeblebrox in Rayong at www.zaphod.pattaya-blogs.com

Read more about the adventures of zaphodbeeblebrox in Rayong at www.zaphod.pattaya-blogs.com

I remember meeting some friends a few years ago in that place and i did not think much of it , i have never been back cheers............

• 4 months later...

Hopf used to be one of the best places to go in Pattaya, great beer (the wheatbeer was SOO good), nice menu of Thai and Western food and drinking snacks, excellent band (apart from the superannuated, toothy Italian tenor who so desperatey tries to believe he's still under fifity) and great service but then they started to get patronised by some pretty important Thais and the whole place went to the dogs.

Nasty, uptight security, dress codes which would be out of place in a nightclub, no more Thai food, bad beer, no smoking and ATTITUDE.

I'll stick to Tawandaeng in Bangkok.

*WARNING. The above statement was prepared in a factory that uses irony. It may contain irony. It cannot be guaranteed as irony free. Readers with an adverse reaction to irony or irony based products should consume a pinch of salt before reading. Readers who have are known irony-deficient should seek professional help before continuing*

'I'd like to congratulate Chris Pattaya on being the smuggest cnut ever shat into God's creation', Unknown Mango Sauce contributer.

• 1 year later...

Me and the Mrs haven't been in there in 3 years, since an 'attitude' problem with the staff. They tried to tell my Thai wife that she didn't know about the Falang food she was eating and that it was OK. I tasted it too - I'm a falang - and the food was shite. The manager was asked for but she (falang woman) totally ingnored us. So, fuck 'em... no more of our custom - which over 3 years would have amounted to quite a lot of dosh as we used it regularly.

I really didnt like this place at all. Firstly it was freezing in there, the pizza was way below average. I ordered the salami pizza and the salami was almost raw, like they put in on there after cooking the pizza.

Never again for me. I will stick to Toscanas restaurant were at least the food has always been fantastic.

i like the pork knuckle, always go for one on my trips, the rest of the menu can be found at restaurants all over patts at a quarter of the price. good atmosphere though

• 1 month later...

i tried this once found the beer good the food not so good and overpriced and the ++ FINISHED ME OFF

• 1 month later...

When I'm in Pattaya I sometimes visit the Hopf. I've not yet eaten there. I like to call in to see what the band is like that is playing there and spend a little time out of Pattaya's humidity. I find the beer OK but nowt special. And most of the bands very professional but bland

• 4 weeks later...

I've been in the Hopf a few times. They have a no ladyboy policy apparently due to a few bag-snatch thefts there. Last time i went in May they had the Pavarotti soundalike, was packed as well.

Great place to take a GF for an eve out - not a place for singles IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Never had a problem in Hopf Bar, beer and pizza good, nice selection of spices to add on to your food, me and the wife all so like the pork knuckle and sausages

Ok you have to pay xtra, ie tax and service charge but the staff allways nice and friendly, good service i think but eash to there own

We like to chill in the day and watch beach road, drinking loads of wheat beer and getting drunk,,,

Perfect day

Dirty

Normal people says "my wife" why do you state: my "THAI WIFE" ??????? Do you have another wife back home ?!?!?!?!?

eh? Thai wife links to farang food

• 2 months later...

Haven't been to the Hopf on Soi Yamato and Beach Road in almost 2 years. Spaghetti marinara was perfection, very fresh with generous seafood portions. Newest sensation, of dozens of options, is the white pizza with anchovy fillets and rocket leaves, bursting with flavor. The wheat beer has always been exceptional, but was extra special all this week as the flowery aroma could only come from the hands of their authentic Bavarian brew master. Service is snappy and professional with a fine dining flair. The Hopf band had the crowd so torqued into a frenzy with some very authentic ethnic tunes it was an emotional event. Patrons dancing with joy. For the quite famous lead singer to make transitions from songs in fluent Thai, Italian, French, Spanish, jazz, classical, African, Arabic, experimental, on and on, gives one the feeling of being in a very special place. The lead guitarist has some evil licks and can easily tear the house down on his solos, and gets even better when he and a pianist trade off in a round table of classical Italian folk songs with the master. We can highly recommend this place exponentially...an absolute must on any Eastern seaboard tour.

Here's a few things you can do to ensure that your waiter really appreciates more than just your money:

 Reward good service.

 Offer help or constructive criticism, rather than criticise failures.

 Think of your waiter as colleagues and friends.

 Be human.

"The customer is king" is one of those sayings that encourages the worst customer-service relationships. It's rubbish.

On a few occasions in the past I have regrettably behaved like a real asshole in situations when I was the customer. I demanded good service when I really didn't deserve it. My own experiences as a manager in the service industry gave me a lot of perspective on this matter.

The exchange of money for service between customer and restaurant service should be a fair exchange. It doesn't buy the customer any additional rights, especially not the right to be rude to staff or make demands that are not agreed upon upfront. Yet, there are still quite a few people that think their waiter are slaves. And the saying "the customer is king" absolutely encourages this and helps to sustain this stupid idea. I'm sure these folks are not really thinking through their actions but are probably just seduced by what seems to be common wisdom to them. Be careful of these people since they often tend to transfer all the risk to you regardless of the consequences."If you think you are a King you should behave like a King"

Hi oznem,up to your name,001_Sawasdee.GIFIagree with you in some points.i'm waiter about 30 years on the northest island of Germany,called Sylt.May be you know it.It's well known in the world.Most about the end of surfing worldcup,with most viewing people all over the world.Thats my home sity.can tell you that i worke there very hard on the high season as well,and believe me you can't tell me anything new about service,after all my years i've work here.believe me.but would like to meet you so we can speak about this hind of bussines as well.Tell me and wee can meet where you want in patt.Hope to see you in town at nov.i'mthere from2-11 to the 3-12 this year.Hope to see you soon.Cheers.

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

A very enthusiastic first post. Are you the guitarist, the brew master or the owner?

No just a regular customer who has seen the Hopf evolve over 10 years of long stay visits. I am thoroughly addicted to the beer there, fascinated by the variety of music, and I have seen first hand the extent of proper food handling standards that goes on behind the scenes so my health is not at risk.

Haven't been to the Hopf on Soi Yamato and Beach Road in almost 2 years. Spaghetti marinara was perfection, very fresh with generous seafood portions. Newest sensation, of dozens of options, is the white pizza with anchovy fillets and rocket leaves, bursting with flavor. The wheat beer has always been exceptional, but was extra special all this week as the flowery aroma could only come from the hands of their authentic Bavarian brew master. Service is snappy and professional with a fine dining flair. The Hopf band had the crowd so torqued into a frenzy with some very authentic ethnic tunes it was an emotional event. Patrons dancing with joy. For the quite famous lead singer to make transitions from songs in fluent Thai, Italian, French, Spanish, jazz, classical, African, Arabic, experimental, on and on, gives one the feeling of being in a very special place. The lead guitarist has some evil licks and can easily tear the house down on his solos, and gets even better when he and a pianist trade off in a round table of classical Italian folk songs with the master. We can highly recommend this place exponentially...an absolute must on any Eastern seaboard tour.

All I wanted was a decent pizza at a sensible price. Hopf failed miserably on both counts.

If I'm not hungry but want a quite famous lead singer that can transition between African and Arabic I will go to Hopf.

Service charge in Pattaya?????

I will not patronise them. They may set a trend...

And the reviews suggest there's nothing special. I have more than my share of microbrews here in the US and in Singapore anyway...

All I wanted was a decent pizza at a sensible price. Hopf failed miserably on both counts.

If I'm not hungry but want a quite famous lead singer that can transition between African and Arabic I will go to Hopf.

:Agree:

Hopf should focus on getting the basics right!

How about some tasty food, at a decent price without the crap attitude you get from the management.

At least they get the concept of what a glass of beer should look like:

Beer.jpg

Been a few times , love the Beer , food is nothing special though , the live music they have on is usually pretty good though.