IGNORED

I want to improve!

Mr Unix

Hi pervs!

I managed to gain some basic thai language skills, like asking the way, ordering food, getting the your sex needs, making appointments... As I said very basic, so I can handle some situations without the language barrier.

http://thai-language.com/dict/ was a very great help.

I really don't care about the thai letters (although I know how to write some of those cryptic words). How to write with "our" letters would be quite interesting, too but isn't too important for me.

Do you guys know any IRC channels, where people talk thai with our letters and farangs are welcome? What's with Skype?

Or is there some internet TV with Thai news and authentic english or german subtitles? Anything with the correct subtitles would be great.

I've learned with several books and most of them where very disappointing. If you want to say "dirty" in thai you normally don't say "moom", but "sohk ga bprohk". Do you know what I mean? They get too spoiled sometimes...

I've heard that the PONS thai thingy would be great, but I haven't tried it yet. Any of you checked it out? I hate books that come with CDs and the speakers are repeating the words three or four times with too much breaks inbetween. Does PONS do that?

Any tips for me how to get more thai and english/german together?

Or any suggestions on other thai courses (english/german, I don't care)? Audio part is optional, as I know how to pronounce most words.

Unix

I'd recommend Pimsleur, its quite a long slog and can be quite repititive but its a very very good introduction imo.

..and then whatever you can get your hands on really, theres quite lot of torrent stuff about (rossetta stone) and also on this forum there are a couple other audio packages people have posted.

I think audio is very important as an accompaniment when learning Thai, I don't think reading Roman characters from the dictionary will get you very far imo

What about learning to read/write, its not as scary as it looks, I've only been doing it a couple days and I wish I started sooner before polluting my vocabulary with Roman characters :unsure:

When you say you know how to pronounce words, are you sure? I mean, all the tones and lengths pronounced correctly is quite a feat if you've got that already.

Edited by herds

rosetta stone works pretty good. that and study cards. im doing that, but in japanese and it really does work.