IGNORED

transfer at survanabhumi to chiang mai

tysonrocky

Hello all, I will be arriving from NYC to BKK on sunday but I also just booked a separate ticket from BKK to Chiang Mai same day. Where would I go after I pick up my bags? How long does the process take between picking up your bags and going through security again?

Check out the information on the airport website. International to domestic transfer

Although if you are using a low cost carrier it will be more complicated as you may have to get to the old airport.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I am using Qatar Airways from NYC-BKK... then i booked a separate ticket (some plans change) from BKK-CNX using Thai Airways.

I am using Qatar Airways from NYC-BKK... then i booked a separate ticket (some plans change) from BKK-CNX using Thai Airways.

If you are cutting it a a bit fine for your connection, you can try Bangkok Flight Services, and use their arrival product, which is a meet and greet, a fast track thru immi and she will take you to your next flight...  It costs about 850 baht, and is well worth it, when the place is busy.

Note that there are TWO airports. If your domestic flight is out of Don Muang [airasia and other budget airlines] you need to take the airport transfer bus...if you go to the airport site it explains it...use Dr Google

This version of me will not stay the same, tomorrow I will be different.

Note that there are TWO airports. If your domestic flight is out of Don Muang [airasia and other budget airlines] you need to take the airport transfer bus...if you go to the airport site it explains it...use Dr Google

The OP is using Thai so that is not an issue.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

When you check in with Qatar Airlines in NYC, bring a printout of your thai itinerary and they may be able to tag your baggage to be transferred right through to your final destination, making your transfer a lot easier.  

"He's the kind of a guy who lights up a room just by flicking a switch."

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents."

- Nathaniel Borenstein

When you check in with Qatar Airlines in NYC, bring a printout of your thai itinerary and they may be able to tag your baggage to be transferred right through to your final destination, making your transfer a lot easier.  

has anyone ever tried this? that would be really helpful. 

You can't do direct transfer but I have done the trip many times and it can be done in 2 hours. The worst part is praying your luggage comes round the belt. :)

Once u have your bags it's easy. It will take u about 15 mins to walk from arrivals to domestic departures. 10 mind check in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You CAN do direct transfer and have your baggage routed directly to Chiang Mai, but you need to book the tickets together or make sure that both airlines (in this case Qatar Airways and Thai Airways) are codesharers or part of the same affiliate group (I know Thai are Star Alliance but I don't think Qatar are).

I frequently fly Chiang Mai (CNX) to London and EVA, for example,  codeshare with Bangkok AIrways for the BKK - CNX flight so my bags go straight through.  I clear Immigration at CNX also - much easier.  Actually, EVA practically give you the internal ticket - it costs very little extra.

in march I had  90 minutes from arrival on emirates to departure to undon thani ,

I was worried due to pass experience at Bangkok airport.

also flights seem to land either 10 minutes early or 30 minutes late.

lucky landed 10 minutes early , I got VIP pass for immigration passport control .

10 minutes after landing I was picking up my baggage off the belt 10 minutes later I was checked in at Thai airways domestic .

But I been in a queue at passport control for 40 minutes before ,

and still waited another 30 -40 minutes for baggage on the conveyer belt.

European , Chinese , Korean, and middle eastern passengers all converging on passport control at the same time.

so arrival time

amount of passengers arriving at the same time

and time it take for your baggage to appear on the belt

I gambled and won

did not fancy waiting around for 6 hours for the next flight

or stopping over.

only advice I can give if your not flying business

at check in ask for your baggage to be given priority at Bangkok

you can obtain a VIP pass as mention at Bangkok flight services

Archived